Player Discussion Jared Spurgeon

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Spurgeon will make the team, if only because we don't have a good PP option on the blueline past Zidlicky. His long-term success will be dependant on whether he can become a consistent point producer at the NHL level. If he can do that, he's not enough of his game to stick around.

Pairing him with guys like Stoner, Scandella, or Falk seems like a no-brainer. It would be nice if Falk got more nasty. A Spurgeon-Falk bottom pairing would be solid.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Ha, these eventual wedding pictures I've got to see. In my mind it would be like pulling a couple 6th graders out of class and dressing them up... :laugh:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I wonder if Russo was invited to the wedding? That'd be so awkward. :biglaugh:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
At this point I just want Spurgie off the power play. Hes worse on the point than Zids was. Cant keep the puck in for ****.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Tough when you look at our lineup...

PP1: Koivu-Heatley-Seto-Butch-Cullen
PP2: Brodziak?-...Johnson?-Scandy-???-???

I mean when you have Brodz and Johnson on your PP2 you pretty much need to get someone like Spurgeon in there.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
At least get him off the first unit...seriously he's been worse than bad...doesn't have much of a plan up there and his shot is average at best...move him to the second unit and bring up Scandella to the first.

651*

As an average sized kid that played D myself I am blown away by the poise and skill of Spurgeon. Honestly, I think he may be the smallest defenseman in the league and he is just so poised to be out there.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
After getting completely embarrassed by Malkin earlier he's certainly been solid.

Even Norris winner get embarrassed sometimes (not implying Spurgeon is Norris quality). Kid's young, but I think he's developing excellently.

Anybody notice how awesome he's been on the PP lately? There were a few instances during the Phoenix game where he stopped a couple clearing attempts and aggressively controlled play. I thought it really kept the Coyotes on their heels. He does need to work on his shot, though. Imagine if he had a booming shot with some accuracy. :amazed:

*Puts tire pump away* :D

squidz*

Spurgeon has been surprisingly physical this season. I don't know if there's anything funnier than watching him throw a check on some guy 6" taller than him. However, he can't stop a PK clearing attempt to save his life. His shot might not have a lot of speed on it, but it somehow seems to slip through more often than you'd expect.

squidz*

I've heard that a lot and I don't agree. He stops them just fine when it's on the boards. Nobody's going to magically grab the puck 10 feet away from them.

I don't think I've seen him stop the puck a single time on the boards. He's managed to stop it a few times away from the boards, but I'd be surprised if he's stopped more than 3-5 clearing attempts along the boards the whole season.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i agree with Squidz. for me it's shades or Rolston out there. Rolston or Bergeron, but without the huge shot. I really think he's out there only because we have no viable replacement, not because he's any good at it.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I think Spurg has looked just fine. There have been a few games where he couldn't keep a puck in to save his soul but he is a very intelligent player. Defensemen take a long time to develop...and I would argue that small defensemen even take longer. I think we would be hurting a lot more if we did not have someone to move the puck like Spurgeon.

As for his shot...it's weak like Butch's was at the same age. Let Spurgeon put some man muscle on and see his shot become more of a threat.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

5'9" - 185lbs on 6'1" - 190lbs. :laugh:

Spurgeon's gotta be all muscle if he's nearly Crabb's weight... Or these weights are inaccurate.

squidz*

Oh I don't mean to be negative about his game. I think he's one of our better defensemen out there, and he's starting to put up points besides. I think when Zid is back and Spurgeon can go back to the second PP unit, it'll make things look a lot better. Him paired with Lundin (or whoever mans the other point) should look a lot better than him and Butch.

Averman

Ya, Yeo Betcha
Aug 18, 2011
Zid lost his spot on the #1 PP to Spurgeon before the injury, not sure he'd get it back just because he's healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad