Value of: Jared Spurgeon

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
28 year old #2 d-man. I believe one year left on his deal after this year @ $5.2 million

Minnesota needs: young, right handed forwards(preferably center). Willing to add other peices on top of spurgeon(Nino, Coyle, Zucker, etc.) for the right deal.

***Don’t ask about Dumba***

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
he’s a guy I’d love to take a run at from an Oiler POV but we can’t lose any more forwards (which means Drai/Nuge off the table) and he’d be a challenge to figure out the cap space.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
O'Reilly and Kadri are guys that have made sense to me as targets in the past. Obviously the ship has sailed on O'Reilly and was probably never going to leave the port with Kadri. A center of about that age and quality would be ideal, though.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
he’s a guy I’d love to take a run at from an Oiler POV but we can’t lose any more forwards (which means Drai/Nuge off the table) and he’d be a challenge to figure out the cap space.
Weirdly, with the cap going up and Spurgeon only having a year (beyond this one) left on his deal, the Wild are in a spot where they could conceivably retain salary on him if a deal happened over the summer. I just don't see what the Oilers could build a deal around. I don't think picks/prospects would cut it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Weirdly, with the cap going up and Spurgeon only having a year (beyond this one) left on his deal, the Wild are in a spot where they could conceivably retain salary on him if a deal happened over the summer. I just don't see what the Oilers could build a deal around. I don't think picks/prospects would cut it.

Yeah, and we just don’t have the kind of young contributing NHLers to move that I’d guess you’re after. I’m not concerned with him wanting to stick around being a local kid.

We could start with Puljujarvi but I’m not comfortable with the pluses would need to be.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Leafs would be all over Spurgeon if he was available for a package. But if the Wild are looking for a comparable aged player, or a younger RH forward the only option would be Kapanen (which I know you guys are THRILLED to hear). I don't know which teams would be willing to trade a young C with top6 upside for a 29 year old Spurgeon with plusses. Spurgeon is an awesome player, but two years left on the deal means that you're looking at contenders who have a young C to spare, and I think that's a non-existent list. Depends on how proven you want, would a Jack Roslovic type work?

Spurgeon+Nino for Nylander+Zaitsev

Spurgeon is two or three years too old for this to work. I think it's a respectable offer, but only a year and a half left on the main piece coming back doesn't work for the Leafs. If he was 26 with four years left on his contract I think we'd be in business.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Weren't Leafs fans just trying to tell people Gardiner having a year and a half on his contract shouldn't hurt his value because he'll just re-sign and it's still a whole year and a half?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Zibanejad for Spurgeon + Kaprizov rights

I like how you tried to sneak Kaprizov’s rights in hoping we wouldn’t notice.

Nice try sly guy.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
28 year old #2 d-man. I believe one year left on his deal after this year @ $5.2 million

Minnesota needs: young, right handed forwards(preferably center). Willing to add other peices on top of spurgeon(Nino, Coyle, Zucker, etc.) for the right deal.

***Don’t ask about Dumba***

The most likely scenario for Min to get what they need would be to trade them for a package of picks and prospects which he would return 3 to maybe 4 solid pieces. Many teams would be interested as he is a great dman but the limiting factors will be age and lack of term on his deal. Then you would hope those pieces can develop into the player you are looking for.

He's too old to get any young established forwards that are too terribly good as those can only ever be had for similar pieces.

I don't personally feel Min has any shot of winning a cup with their current roster and they are at a spot where they don't have the flexibility or desirable assets to do a retool. However they have enough players where if they were moved for rebuilding parts if they chose to blow it up they could really have a quick rebuild with some assets that have the high end ability to actually make it past the 1st round, that is if you don't believe in the BB curse.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I like how you tried to sneak Kaprizov’s rights in hoping we wouldn’t notice.

Nice try sly guy.

Even if he was being sneaky that makes no sense for NYR. Zibby could get far more and JS isn't at all what that rebuilding team needs.

Reactions: Lays

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Zibanejad for Spurgeon + Kaprizov rights
The fan in me recoils in horror, but Fenton's judgement is probably less clouded than mine. It would depend on what he thinks Kaprizov projects as in the NHL. If he thinks he's a future PPG winger, he should pass. If he thinks he's more like a 50-60 pt winger... I think he'd have to consider it.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Even if he was being sneaky that makes no sense for NYR. Zibby could get far more and JS isn't at all what that rebuilding team needs.

Would be interested to see what you think Zibanejad could return that is "far more" than a #2 RHD and one of the top prospects in the NHL.

Please, list some ideas.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
What's the best picks/prospects package a team would be willing to offer? I'd seriously think of moving Spurgeon for something like that.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Who plays RD in our top 4?

Brodin, presumably

Remember, Pateryn also played there for Dallas last year, and although it wouldn't be ideal, we'd still have Suter, Dumba and Brodin in front of him. We'd also be improving the forward corps, and Belpedio or another guy should (in theory) be ready to play in the NHL next year.

It wouldn't be the end of the world. We're just so used to having one of the elite defensive corps in the league that we think it would be a disaster to be more middle of the pack.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think I trade Brodin a lot sooner than I trade Spurgeon, even considering the age thing and likely reduction in return.
I think Brodin has higher trade value, or least least similar. Age + contract.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And LD? Seeler?

I added more to the reply you quoted, but I don't think some combo of

Suter-Dumba
Brodin/Seeler-Brodin/Pateryn
Seeler-Prosser/Belpedio

would be that awful.

Ad

Upcoming events