Value of: Jared Spurgeon to the Leafs at the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
To try and belittle someone about trolling and not taking the discussion seriously when you've only responded to said person..?
That makes zero sense. He keeps quoting me so I responded. I don't think it's belittling to call someone out for trying to deliberately close a thread with his posts

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
When are you going to respond to scenario A of Bazeek’s post?
Lol why is it crucial to you that I come up with a trade proposal for a hypothetical signed Spurgeon? If you want to propose one be my guest. In that scenario you might get Nylander.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Is everything okay in Minnesota? You guys seem to be pretty upset over this discussion.

Seems awfully crazy to expect Nylander for 1 year of Spurgeon. Seems like you have a direct line to Fenton though so maybe you’re right.
We see this discussion once a week. It goes the same way every time. For any of your fans to try and claim this hasn't been talked to death already and has not got hostile everytime is flat out bs. You all know how this convo goes. Stop wasting peoples monitor trash talking time

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Lol why is it crucial to you that I come up with a trade proposal for a hypothetical signed Spurgeon? If you want to propose one be my guest. In that scenario you might get Nylander.

Because we fully expect him to be signed, it makes no sense to trade him at his value with one year left. His value to us is as an extended, borderline #1 defenseman, so unless we’re getting that value back, there’s no reason for us to move him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A.) Fenton and Spurgeon see eye to eye on an extension and have a handshake agreement on a $6.5m x 5 year deal that'll be signed on July 1st.

That would be a very team friendly deal for Spurgeon, with the inflated prices being given out. I would think 6/42M at least. Is Spurgeon really that much less valuable than Skinner? I would argue no.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That would be a very team friendly deal for Spurgeon, with the inflated prices being given out. I would think 6/42M at least. Is Spurgeon really that much less valuable than Skinner? I would argue no.

Yeah but Skinner is overpaid by about 2-2.5m

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I guess you forgot about Rielly

Not at all. Spurgeon has been the best defenseman on a team that has lead the league in xGA for 3 straight years. His advanced metrics are better than Rielly's and it's not close.

Rielly is a great defenseman and he's great on the PP. However, it's not hard to rack up points when you're the team's #1D that is frequently on the ice with some of the best forwards in the league. His goal totals were also inflated this year by shooting almost 3x higher than he did in the previous 2 seasons. Throw Spurgeon on that team and you'd see him putting up 60-70 points too.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Ryan Ellis' extension, factoring cap inflation, and shortening the length to end at the same age, is 6 years x $6.5M

This my baseline regarding "value".

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Because we fully expect him to be signed, it makes no sense to trade him at his value with one year left. His value to us is as an extended, borderline #1 defenseman, so unless we’re getting that value back, there’s no reason for us to move him.
Considering he isn’t signed long term as of now it seems like it’s not a crazy idea to discuss his value without him signed long term.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ryan Ellis' extension, factoring cap inflation, and shortening the length to end at the same age, is 6 years x $6.5M

This my baseline regarding "value".

I would expect Spurgeon to end up at 5-6 years, 7M. Wouldn’t be surprised to see anything between 6-7.5M though. I wonder if Suter being at 7.5 has any effect on the contracts the other defensemen get.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Considering he isn’t signed long term as of now it seems like it’s not a crazy idea to discuss his value without him signed long term.

Okay, he’s not available then.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
We see this discussion once a week. It goes the same way every time. For any of your fans to try and claim this hasn't been talked to death already and has not got hostile everytime is flat out bs. You all know how this convo goes. Stop wasting peoples monitor trash talking time
I haven’t seen this discussion in a while myself. Why does it upset you if people discuss a hypothetical trade scenario of a player on your favourite hockey team?

If you’ve already had the discussion, do you mind if those who haven’t do so for a little bit?

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Not when we wouldn't trade him at a rental price when there's no indication that he's leaving Minnesota.
We (at least I was) were discussing the scenario where he wasn’t resigning. If you think it’s guaranteed that he will resign you can either ignore these posts, discuss a trade with him signed long term, or have no part in the discussion.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
tumblr_lpg9b3VuXM1qlh1s6o1_400.gif

Reactions: 93gilmour93

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Fair point, appreciate the quality responses. @AKL is embarrassing himself.
Nah, we've just got the Good Cop, Bad Cop routine down at this point.

There are a few different ways things can go with Spurgeon, some of which favor Minnesota more than others. The problem with this thread is that it insists on only discussing the worst case for us (Scenario B) and ignoring the better, more likely one (Scenario A). The results are predictable.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
How on God's green earth is Toronto gonna take on Spurgeon's 5+ million cap hit? They need to shed not add

Are people so incapable of seeing life, beyond one step at a time, that this is legitimate question?

If the Leafs obtained Spurgeon, the Wild will want a legitimate package going there. That will reduce Leafs Cap. They will also be moving out other players.. Marleau, Zaitsev, maybe Brown. This is very basic math, so I'm not sure why people get confused.

Reactions: 93gilmour93

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Are people so incapable of seeing life, beyond one step at a time, that this is legitimate question?

If the Leafs obtained Spurgeon, the Wild will want a legitimate package going there. That will reduce Leafs Cap. They will also be moving out other players.. Marleau, Zaitsev, maybe Brown. This is very basic math, so I'm not sure why people get confused.
Yeah, and I'm pretty sure that regardless of what else happens the Leafs are going to plan on spending at least $5m on their top pairing RD. It's not like we're talking about adding a $7m guy for the 3rd line or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad