Value of: Jared Spurgeon to the Leafs at the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Discussing rumours and potential trades and what people think team needs are is entirely different then acting like people have control over what happens

Okay but giving your opinion on what they want for a player is fine, even if nobody knows what the actual front office is willing to accept.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Discussing rumours and potential trades and what people think team needs are is entirely different then acting like people have control over what happens

If you want to go by rumors, Spurgeon will be re-signed and he isn’t available. If you want to go by team need, we need Spurgeon and he isn’t available.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Seeking to arbitrarily deflate value, are we?

There's no reason for MIN to trade him at a discount because you're unwilling to take on an expiring contract. All signs point to Spurgeon wanting to re-sign with the Wild, so his contract status will have zero impact on the return, if he's traded at all.

What are you talking aboyt deflating value?

Let me ask you a question when was the last time you saw a player 1 year or less away from UFA status get traded for a 23 year old wingetrwith 2 60+ point seasons under his belt? and 5 years left on his contract?

That doesn't happen and I suspect you know that

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Let me ask you a question when was the last time you saw a player 1 year or less away from UFA status get traded for a 23 year old wingetrwith 2 60+ point seasons under his belt? and 5 years left on his contract?

Probably never.

When was the last time a team sold a guy that they intended to re-sign for rental prices? Also probably never.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

You mentioned Spurgeon's expiring contract as a means to posture for a decreased return going back to Minnesota. That's what I meant by "deflating value," because that's what you were trying to do.

To answer your question, the issue isn't whether players like Nylander get traded for players like Spurgeon (contracts considered). The issue, here, is whether Toronto can offer a compelling enough return to justify Minnesota trading a key cog of their defense and forgoing the possibility of re-signing him.

The Wild can just as easily stand pat and extend Spurgeon. Thus, their valuation of Spurgeon is likely that of a long-term asset, and to convince them to trade him to Toronto, you'll have to muster up a package that reflects the value of a top-4 RHD locked up to term.

Believe it or not, you do need to consider the other side's perspective when discussing trade hypotheticals... at least, if you want the hypotheticals to be considered realistic.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
There’s really no point in discussing if Toronto is after him as a rental. If you can get past that, two more hurdles: Toronto needs to shed cap. Minnesota would want a top 6 center for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad