Value of: Jared McCann (PIT) and Erik Cernak (TBL) to Anaheim

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
See above. McCann handles himself very well away from the superstar centers.

The only asset from Anaheim I'd really be interested in is Rakell. We'd have to add something significant (Poulin? Something else?), but an RH shot who can generate PP offense from the left boards is what we need more than anything. Losing Kessel has really hurt us there.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Silfverberg would be a nice target for what we need too. I'd explore a deal with him involved.

Yeah, that's pretty good. Definitely doesn't seem fair to say that his totals are bloated by the little time he gets with Crosby or Malkin. Comes across as a player who is productive no matter who he is with, at least at a glance.

I think, at worst, you'd say he needs to show he can repeat this season, but he could just as easily be a player coming into his own. Seems like a good asset for Pittsburgh, and someone they would want to keep.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Yeah, that's pretty good. Definitely doesn't seem fair to say that his totals are bloated by the little time he gets with Crosby or Malkin. Comes across as a player who is productive no matter who he is with, at least at a glance.

I think, at worst, you'd say he needs to show he can repeat this season, but he could just as easily be a player coming into his own. Seems like a good asset for Pittsburgh, and someone they would want to keep.
Finally some common sense!

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
That's cool that they value him and want to keep him and all that.

However, in the league 2nd pairing RHD have more value than middle six combo wing/centers. Not an ANA fan and I like both players, as an impartial observer I believe most GMs would have Manson as the greater asset and an add would be coming from PITT if they wanted Manson. Not saying that makes any sense for PITT, which is why I said your "valuation" was off.
First manson isnt a top 4 d man on the pens ..not even close....they have 4 if not 5 d men better right now ..although they may lose Shultz.
McCann has more value to pens than manson would . Hence the add. Perhaps on another team if would be a closer deal but pens have zero reason or want to trade McCann. The deal would have to be so lopsided that no team would pay that...
Pitt would not be able to flip manson for a player better suited than McCann..

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't think TB trades Cernak for less than a 1st, or the equivalent in a roster player. I don't think this is a player we want to move unless we're absolutely forced to by the cap. He's definitely the most expendable of our RFAs, but if we did have to move him, there would be a lot of customers. Good young player who plays like a vet #4.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

He definitely is. The only way it would make sense to move him is if a deal addressed the Pens specific needs, like a skilled RH winger.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
In this context, the Ducks most certainly do have untouchables, it would make no sense at all to trade our top ELC talent at a time where we are no where near contention. I like both of these players but they are complimentary pieces on a good team, they're not going to help the Ducks escape the basement.

Trading for either of these players isn't going to help push the team into contention. We need to see a core start to form before it makes any sense to start moving key young pieces for complimentary help. The lingering expansion draft only furthers that point.

If opportunities arise to buy low on an intriguing younger player, that's a different story - but these suggestions are definitely not that. McCann in particular is about as opposite from "buy low" as one can get.

Trading someone like Zegras or this year's first, for this level of talent in return - would be incredibly foolish and short sighted. You may as well come to terms with being more patient than that. Murray was patient and held tight to his top young pieces even when the team was a top contender. He's not going to panic and start shopping those guys now.

I agree with your reasoning, but Cernak is the same age as Troy Terry and just nine months older than Sam Steel and Max Jones.

As for the bolded, it helps if we are moving older pieces before their value drops off. You can't the current core for all prospects and picks, as there's still a cap floor we need to stay above. If a new core still hasn't emerged in 5 years, guys like Cernak and McCann should still have value then. Rakell and Manson may not.

Zegras is a moot point. About no one being untouchable, I was speaking in general terms. Of course we wouldn't trade him for McCann or Cernak. I will change my OP to make things more clear.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
McCann for Silf would be a deal I’d do if Silf didn’t cost so much.

Rakell would be the other target, but I don’t think there is a deal worth looking into there.
Again pens pass on silf. They would start listening if you mentioned ruskell. Yes McCann is that important to the pens. Super versatile. Play all forward positions. Played with sid and did OK. Because of hornqvist age and wear , mccann slides above him in the penguins depth charts...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Again pens pass on silf. They would start listening if you mentioned ruskell. Yes McCann is that important to the pens. Super versatile. Play all forward positions. Played with sid and did OK. Because of hornqvist age and wear , mccann slides above him in the penguins depth charts...

If Silf costed 4 mil instead of 5.25, Pens ain’t passing.

Zucker - Crosby - Silf
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Tanev - Bleuger - Hornqvist
Rodrigues - Lafferty - ZAR

Is a hell of a line up. That gives you ball park 100 goals from your top six wingers at 5v5 without even adding in Sid and Malkin’s production.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
If Silf costed 4 mil instead of 5.25, Pens ain’t passing.

Zucker - Crosby - Silf
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Tanev - Bleuger - Hornqvist
Rodrigues - Lafferty - ZAR

Is a hell of a line up. That gives you ball park 100 goals from your top six wingers at 5v5 without even adding in Sid and Malkin’s production.
But that's not the case. McCann is better all round. Better defensively. Can play up and down and center . It's not far off but pens decline. McCann just more valuable in his role.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
But that's not the case. McCann is better all round. Better defensively. Can play up and down and center . It's not far off but pens decline. McCann just more valuable in his role.

Please explain how McCann is better offensively and I’ve got to hear how he is better defensively lol. Silfverberg is one of the best defensive wingers in the game.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Please explain how McCann is better offensively and I’ve got to hear how he is better defensively lol. Silfverberg is one of the best defensive wingers in the game.
I didnt say McCann is better offensively..lol no where .. he is better all round. He is more versatile. The ability to play center is huge. The ability to play with sid and not look put of place is huge ... I believe mccann to be faster and on a better contract ( for the time being) . Also isnt McCann younger? It's of my opinion mccann can round out better than silf in a role the penguins need. Would I be devastated if the pens made this trade?? NO but I dint think they would pull the trigger

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I didnt say McCann is better offensively..lol no where .. he is better all round. He is more versatile. The ability to play center is huge. The ability to play with sid and not look put of place is huge ... I believe mccann to be faster and on a better contract ( for the time being) . Also isnt McCann younger? It's of my opinion mccann can round out better than silf in a role the penguins need. Would I be devastated if the pens made this trade?? NO but I dint think they would pull the trigger

You said McCann is better all around. Not sure how that is true when Silf is basically a five time 20 goal scorer and McCann has never hit it.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
You said McCann is better all around. Not sure how that is true when Silf is basically a five time 20 goal scorer and McCann has never hit it.
There's more to hockey than putting up 20 goals lol....... we have loads of offensive talent for that buddy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
There's more to hockey than putting up 20 goals lol....... we have loads of offensive talent for that buddy

And Silf would immediately be the best defensive forward on our roster. He also has played center in the past about as much as McCann has. So I think you really have no idea about the player. Silf is like a Marian Hossa b-side.

The only reason we wouldn’t trade for him is the contract and it simply not fitting in if the cap drops. That being said, who knows what McCann asks for given some of the points you outlined. If McCann wants over 3 mil at this point which he likely deserves I would not be surprised to see him shipped out. We can not afford to pay him, Rust and Tanev all over 3 mil when they are mainly top nine guys.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Put a poll up about who the better defensive player is. You'll be surprised.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
And Silf would immediately be the best defensive forward on our roster. He also has played center in the past about as much as McCann has. So I think you really have no idea about the player. Silf is like a Marian Hossa b-side.

The only reason we wouldn’t trade for him is the contract and it simply not fitting in if the cap drops. That being said, who knows what McCann asks for given some of the points you outlined. If McCann wants over 3 mil at this point which he likely deserves I would not be surprised to see him shipped out. We can not afford to pay him, Rust and Tanev all over 3 mil when they are mainly top nine guys.
Pens best defensive forward?? Your are out to lunch...not even close... we all know what silf can bring and he ain't hossa...just not happening ..pens would rather have McCann...next he better than rust...better than jake...better than sid ...ahhahaha...move along ...pens declined

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Better all around. He isn't better defensively so that would mean he is better offensively, which he isn't.

Yes McCann can play center. Silfverberg is the better player.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Pens best defensive forward?? Your are out to lunch...not even close... we all know what silf can bring and he ain't hossa...just not happening ..pens would rather have McCann...next he better than rust...better than jake...better than sid ...ahhahaha...move along ...pens declined

Yes. Silf was the driving defensive force behind one of the best shutdown lines in the league for a couple years with Cogs and broken down Kesler.

Jake and Rust aren’t some kind of defensive wizards either. If anything you’d bring up Blueger, ZAR or Tanev and Silf produces like twice as much as them.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Better all around. He isn't better defensively so that would mean he is better offensively, which he isn't.

Yes McCann can play center. Silfverberg is the better player.
He is not the better player ... maybe better for a ducks team out of the playoffs ....for a playoff team..mccann is better .. more versatile. Can play up and down. Numbers are close .. he is younger ( I think) better cap hit... well liked in room ...just a simple no brainer . Pens keep McCann over silf on a straight up deal...... you can have Bjugstad tho

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He is not the better player ... maybe better for a ducks team out of the playoffs ....for a playoff team..mccann is better .. more versatile. Can play up and down. Numbers are close .. he is younger ( I think) better cap hit... well liked in room ...just a simple no brainer . Pens keep McCann over silf on a straight up deal...... you can have Bjugstad tho

McCann is not signed. He likely costs 3.5.

He has never cracked 40 pts. Silf has done it basically the last four years. McCann has never cracked 20 goals. Silf has done it 4 of the last five.

Silf can play every forward position and has in the NHL.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
McCann is not signed. He likely costs 3.5.

He has never cracked 40 pts. Silf has done it basically the last four years. McCann has never cracked 20 goals. Silf has done it 4 of the last five.

Silf can play every forward position and has in the NHL.

Good luck. I've given up talking sense to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad