Value of: Jared McCann (PIT) and Erik Cernak (TBL) to Anaheim

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
What's their worth from an Anaheim perspective? The Ducks don't have any untouchables.

Edit:

By "untouchables" I meant in general terms. Of course not everyone is available straight up for McCann or Cernak.

The Ducks would be looking to move some veterans first and foremost. Think Rakell, Manson, Henrique, Silfverberg and Fowler. Even Lindholm and Gibson could be available if the return warrants it (but this could be said aboust almost any player in the league).

Obviously, I realize the Bolts and Pens would have to add picks/prospects in addition to Cernak/McCann in return for some of those veterans.

Last edited:

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I like Cernak, but we'd likely end up exposing him in the expansion draft, unless he significantly outperforms Manson.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Why do we need McCann? He’s a bottom 6 forward that has inflated numbers due to playing with Crosby or Malkin. He’s not what we need.

Reactions: Spazkat

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Why do we need McCann? He’s a bottom 6 forward that has inflated numbers due to playing with Crosby or Malkin. He’s not what we need.

McCanns linemates by ice time this season

1. Kahun
2. Hornqvist
3. Simon
4. Rust
5. Galchenyuk
6. Malkin
7. Tanev
8. Crosby

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Not sure TBL has any incentive to move Cernak too soon,
one of their only young and affordable D, and he has been good

tho they may have to expose him to Seattle to protect Hedman, McD and Serga
but they will also likely be exposing other good young talent (no team loses more than 1 guy ...

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Cernak doesn't have the value of a Sergachev/Cirelli but he's not going anywhere either. No idea why people are acting as though he's a likely trade candidate.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
McCanns linemates by ice time this season

1. Kahun
2. Hornqvist
3. Simon
4. Rust
5. Galchenyuk
6. Malkin
7. Tanev
8. Crosby

What’s his point distribution? Did he get a disproportionately high number of points while playing with either of them?

Not at all trying to suggest that’s the case at all. Legitimately curious. I haven’t seen enough of him this season. I also think it’s in Anaheim’s best interests to see how things look after the draft anyway.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Pitt has zero interest in trading McCann. He been great especially early on this year . The payment would have to be big from the ducks . Start with manson and add...

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Cernak is just a bit fit as trade candidate. TBL would want ELC players who you could plug in right away. And zero possibility TBL would be taking of salary more than say 2.5m. And preferably a rhd back. ANA 2nd isn't enough if that is where you are heading.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Pitt has zero interest in trading McCann. He been great especially early on this year . The payment would have to be big from the ducks . Start with manson and add...
McCann is a decent middle 6 F but no.. your valuation is off.

Reactions: KIRK

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Doesn't look like it:

Line Production - Frozen Tools

What’s his point distribution? Did he get a disproportionately high number of points while playing with either of them?

Not at all trying to suggest that’s the case at all. Legitimately curious. I haven’t seen enough of him this season. I also think it’s in Anaheim’s best interests to see how things look after the draft anyway.

See above. McCann handles himself very well away from the superstar centers.

The only asset from Anaheim I'd really be interested in is Rakell. We'd have to add something significant (Poulin? Something else?), but an RH shot who can generate PP offense from the left boards is what we need more than anything. Losing Kessel has really hurt us there.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Silfverberg would be a nice target for what we need too. I'd explore a deal with him involved.

Last edited:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I like Cernak, but we'd likely end up exposing him in the expansion draft, unless he significantly outperforms Manson.

If it was up to me, I'd move some of our older pieces before the expansion draft. This includes Manson. I see Cernak as his replacement.

What's not to like? He's fast, hustles, is a solid 2-way forward, has some playmaking and scoring ability, owns good breakaway moves and can play both center and wing and be used in a variety of roles. He turns 24 in may and is trending upwards in his career.

Again, if it was up to me, I'd move on from some of our older pieces and sell high on them. Henrique, Silfverberg, Rakell, Manson, Fowler, Gibson, Lindholm. Most (if not all) of these will be past their primes once the Ducks are ready to truly contend again.

If it was up to me, I'd start making the team younger by adding draft picks and young roster players. At the same time, I want to change the team's identity with more speed and physicality, but more importantly more hustle. In the last couple of seasons, we have too many players giving inconsistant performances in terms of work rate.

I'm not gonna get into it the teams structure anymore on the main board. We have the Ducks board for this. But this is my reasoning for asking about these two players. They fit the style of team which I wish to build, and are young and trending upwards in their careers. Of course you, or Bob Murray, might have completely different ideas.

Cernak doesn't have the value of a Sergachev/Cirelli but he's not going anywhere either. No idea why people are acting as though he's a likely trade candidate.

I don't think he's a likely trade candidate. But again, no one on the Ducks is untouchable.

I don't think this is the time for the Ducks to be trading assets.

Again, "my plan" is to move on from some of our veterans, and bring in picks and young roster players. McCann and Cernak are young roster players. The way I see them, adding them is adding assets. They are likely to still have trade value 5-6 years from now.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com

Somebody hasn't seen McCann play the past 2 years...

His ability to play anywhere in the lineup in all 3 forward positions makes him pretty valuable asset to a competitive team. At 23 years old, I can think of 31 other teams who would be after this guy if he was made available by the Pens.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What's their worth from an Anaheim perspective? The Ducks don't have any untouchables.

In this context, the Ducks most certainly do have untouchables, it would make no sense at all to trade our top ELC talent at a time where we are no where near contention. I like both of these players but they are complimentary pieces on a good team, they're not going to help the Ducks escape the basement.

Trading for either of these players isn't going to help push the team into contention. We need to see a core start to form before it makes any sense to start moving key young pieces for complimentary help. The lingering expansion draft only furthers that point.

If opportunities arise to buy low on an intriguing younger player, that's a different story - but these suggestions are definitely not that. McCann in particular is about as opposite from "buy low" as one can get.

Trading someone like Zegras or this year's first, for this level of talent in return - would be incredibly foolish and short sighted. You may as well come to terms with being more patient than that. Murray was patient and held tight to his top young pieces even when the team was a top contender. He's not going to panic and start shopping those guys now.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
doubt either is available, maybe cernak but since were prolly losing shattenkirk this summer we need a cheap RHD back

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
McCann is a decent middle 6 F but no.. your valuation is off.
Actually its spot on. Especially from a penguins perspective. McCann fits in beautifully. Can play up and down lineup in multiple roles. Penguins value him alot. Combine that with age and contract and its pretty clear. So if its McCann you want better bring a big checkbook

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Actually its spot on. Especially from a penguins perspective. McCann fits in beautifully. Can play up and down lineup in multiple roles. Penguins value him alot. Combine that with age and contract and its pretty clear. So if its McCann you want better bring a big checkbook
That's cool that they value him and want to keep him and all that.

However, in the league 2nd pairing RHD have more value than middle six combo wing/centers. Not an ANA fan and I like both players, as an impartial observer I believe most GMs would have Manson as the greater asset and an add would be coming from PITT if they wanted Manson. Not saying that makes any sense for PITT, which is why I said your "valuation" was off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad