WJC: Jared Cowen

• Thread starter Tavaresmagicalplay*
  • Start date

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
As I've already said. He's here because he played himself onto the team. He wouldn't have made it here if there were players at the camp who were better than him. Desjardins picked him because he was playing better than others at the camp. I think it's pretty clear that there were worse choices out there because he made the team over them. It's not that hard to understand.

If Desjardins picked a player who was still feeling the effects of a surgery over other players, the other players must have been playing pretty bad not to have made it.

SpitsOHL89

Dec 8, 2009
Windsor
He clearly shouldn't be on the team and he clearly shouldn't have been drafted that high. Canada has more confidence in a foward playing D than they do in letting him play even one shift.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

I'll let it go but it's obviously a mistake looking back on it. Just brutal pick. The guy is not playing in the gold medal game you can bank on it. Unfortunately though the Canadians are going to have to break up the best line in the tournament by putting McMillan on D. There were way worse picks just because of the fact that the guy cannot play and I mean that in no way trying to incite a flame war. The guy cannot be on the ice against Team usas forwards. It's not humanly possible for him to defend against that squad of forwards.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He clearly shouldn't be on the team and he clearly shouldn't have been drafted that high. Canada has more confidence in a foward playing D than they do in letting him play even one shift.

umm what? he CLEARLY outplayed the other guys trying to get a spot. Isnt his fault that he was better than them when they were picking the team blame the others guys for being crappier.

And what makes you think he shouldnt have been taken at that spot? i was surprised he dropped that low. This is almost as stupid as saying Schenn shouldnt have gone that high this early in his development.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa

Ok, it's way to early to be saying that. Murray knew what he was doing when he was picking him. Reserve your judgement on where he was picked in the draft until he has actually played in the NHL, which will be when he is healed from the surgery.

Like I've already said. He played his way onto the team. He was better than the other players competing for the spot. His confidence can't be at a high spot right now either and Desjardins didn't help that by benching him in a 6-1 game.

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country

You're staff here and you write this? Seriously?

You can't use a tournament like this to write off a kid, that's ridiculous. Last year Myers and Teubert looked like garbage, look at them now. Scott Glennie got cut from the team, I guess he's garbage too. Should have gone with Tatar or Panik, last year's golden boys, right?

Evaluate him over a full season and then get back to us. Writing off a kid over a two week tournament after major knee surgery is ignorant.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

I have to agree with Sykes, this is one guy you look at and actually wonder why he didn't drop further than he did.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'll let it go but it's obviously a mistake looking back on it. Just brutal pick.

He's what, 18 or 19? Hardly a brutal pick. Lets talk 10 years later when he will have either established himself in the NHL or become a bust relative to where he was picked.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

I'll let it go but it's obviously a mistake looking back on it. Just brutal pick./QUOTE]

He's what, 18 or 19? Hardly a brutal pick. Lets talk 10 years later when he will have either established himself in the NHL or become a bust relative to where he was picked.
I'm talking about for this tournament but I also think that when you look at where this guy is physically if he really was that much better before, you have to wonder why they took the chance.

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
I have to agree with Sykes, this is one guy you look at and actually wonder why he didn't drop further than he did.

You've already admitted that you've never seen him play outside of this tournament, so why don't you just drop it? You're clearly not in a position to have an informed opinion on this guy.

Someone from Spokane, who has seen him play live a lot more than you have, has answered your question. End thread.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

You've already admitted that you've never seen him play outside of this tournament, so why don't you just drop it? You're clearly not in a position to have an informed opinion on this guy.

Someone from Spokane, who has seen him play live a lot more than you have, has answered your question. End thread.
I'm talking about his play in this tournament. I'm taking the guys word but I also have to wonder about just how good he was. He's from Spokane, lots of guys go nuts about prospects from their town. Again I have to make the Plante comparison. There were Hitmen fans that absolutely loved the guy and I didn't see the same thing. Guy was slow, bad positionally, took by hooking and holding penalties etc. I'm simply stating my doubt but also expressing my curiosity of why they took him if his knee was in such bad shape.

Have an actual conversation if you want to talk. Don't just say "be quiet"

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
I'm talking about his play in this tournament.

In the post I quoted, you were saying he should have been drafted lower. That has nothing to do with the tournament, and my post is in response to that.

I personally have not seen much of him, outside of the occasional game here and there, the NHL pre-season game he played for Ottawa, and this tournament. I'm reserving judgement, because that's what you're supposed to do when your sample size is small. I'm not the one making snap judgements and ridiculous assertions over a player's potential career, after seeing him in what, 4 games? I would venture a guess that an NHL team's scouts are probably better informed than anybody here.

When you don't know something about someone, and you admit to that fact, you should probably let people better informed than you do the talking. Making ridiculous, ignorant and downright angry comments isn't "having a conversation."

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I think his issues right now are emotional, not physical.

He just does not have any confidence after some bad plays (allowing the American break away for one). It's not a big deal. He's young, he'll bounce back.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I'm talking about for this tournament but I also think that when you look at where this guy is physically if he really was that much better before, you have to wonder why they took the chance.

for god sakes for the last time he PLAYED HIS WAY ON THE TEAM. It isnt his problem that the other guys sucked so much.

Cowen didnt drop cause his potential is too good to pass up

- he is HUGE
- he isnt afraid to play hard nosed hockey
- he isnt afraid to fight
- he can skate well for his size, but it is OBVIOUS he is still trying to regain his leg strength
- He hasa good shot
- and this year on Spokane he has shown some untapped offensive
potential

he is still recovering, and he still played his way on the team. Maybe taht says more about the players who didnt make it then Cowen himself

Also the coaching staff have shown ZERO confidence in him, how is he supposed to play knowning that if he makes a mistake he is going to be stapled to the bench?

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
I think his issues right now are emotional, not physical.

He just does not have any confidence after some bad plays (allowing the American break away for one). It's not a big deal. He's young, he'll bounce back.

He clearly did have some issues even in the games prior to that play, but you might be on the right track. It's pretty clear that the coaching staff has little confidence in him, and for a guy that's used to be the go-to guy on his team, the captain and leader, that has to hit hard. It's hard to play for a guy that doesn't trust you, you spend all your time afraid of making any slight mistake.

He's young, he'll bounce back.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Jared Cowan has been I dud. Sucks that hamonic has gotten hurt. Cowan seems to be a step slower than everybody else on the ice. HGopefully he steps it up in the gold medal game.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Jared Cowan has been I dud. Sucks that hamonic has gotten hurt. Cowan seems to be a step slower than everybody else on the ice. HGopefully he steps it up in the gold medal game.

i dont see how they CAN play him now, you know, i know , he knows and my dog knows that the Coach does not trust Cowen.

I dont see how he can play in the gold medal game with that added pressure of knowing that the first mistake you make you are done.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
I'm talking about his play in this tournament. I'm taking the guys word but I also have to wonder about just how good he was. He's from Spokane, lots of guys go nuts about prospects from their town. Again I have to make the Plante comparison. There were Hitmen fans that absolutely loved the guy and I didn't see the same thing. Guy was slow, bad positionally, took by hooking and holding penalties etc. I'm simply stating my doubt but also expressing my curiosity of why they took him if his knee was in such bad shape.

Have an actual conversation if you want to talk. Don't just say "be quiet"

For the record, I'm from Canada, not Spokane. I actually am a Kelowna Rockets fan, but lived in Spokane for work. While I like the Chiefs, they are not my top WHL team and I am not really being biased, just saying my opinion. Whether or not Jared Cowan is successful after this next game is not that important to me, and I'd have no reason to embellish how good he was/is.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

It's great to see such level headed evaluation of a prospect from a staff member, no less. :sarcasm:

Honestly, the people complaining about Cowen should go out and tear their knee apart and try to run in a year, much less play hockey at the highest level and see how you do.

18 months, people. I don't care what the prognosis is for an early return. Just because the knee is healed enough for you to be able to participate in games and complete rehabilitation does not mean your knee is totally back to tip top shape. It takes a good six months even after all the "healing" has taken place for you to be even close to the level you were before the injury. There are some aspects of movement that you never recover, but throwing the gauntlet down after roughly 10 months after an operation to repair the MCL, ACL, and tears in the meniscus is laughable.

I am not here to sway anybody one way or the other in regards to Cowen's place on the team and if he should be there or not, but to make such outlandish statements like "bust" and this is just woefully premature and ridiculously typical of the knee jerk populace of prospect watchers that think a guy is worth nothing unless he's in the NHL the year after he's drafted or dominates in the WJC that year.

By the time Cowen is assigned to Bingo, he'll be ready to play hockey again. His conditioning will need work, but physically his knee should be good by then. If the Sens were smart, they would shut him down after his junior season, get him in a workout program, and have him debut next season in the AHL after many months of steady stability building knee workouts. He'll get that speed back but it takes time.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
It's great to see such level headed evaluation of a prospect from a staff member, no less. :sarcasm:

Honestly, the people complaining about Cowen should go out and tear their knee apart and try to run in a year, much less play hockey at the highest level and see how you do.

18 months, people. I don't care what the prognosis is for an early return. Just because the knee is healed enough for you to be able to participate in games and complete rehabilitation does not mean your knee is totally back to tip top shape. It takes a good six months even after all the "healing" has taken place for you to be even close to the level you were before the injury. There are some aspects of movement that you never recover, but throwing the gauntlet down after roughly 10 months after an operation to repair the MCL, ACL, and tears in the meniscus is laughable.

I am not here to sway anybody one way or the other in regards to Cowen's place on the team and if he should be there or not, but to make such outlandish statements like "bust" and this is just woefully premature and ridiculously typical of the knee jerk populace of prospect watchers that think a guy is worth nothing unless he's in the NHL the year after he's drafted or dominates in the WJC that year.

By the time Cowen is assigned to Bingo, he'll be ready to play hockey again. His conditioning will need work, but physically his knee should be good by then. If the Sens were smart, they would shut him down after his junior season, get him in a workout program, and have him debut next season in the AHL after many months of steady stability building knee workouts. He'll get that speed back but it takes time.

Im a big Cowen fan. Shocked he isn't big-time TOI guy thus far & dumbfounded as 2 y he's on an injury-troubled roster and were STILL wondering if he'll get shift(s) in big game(s) of this WJC.

I say: Play the guy!:nod:

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
He was picked as high as he was for the same reason Zdeno Chara and Boris Valabik were.

Sometimes it works out(Chara), sometimes it doesn't(Valabik).

For every Victor Hedman out there, there's 3 or 4 Wade Belaks.

Ty Webb*

Jan 5, 2009
Vancouver
You're staff here and you write this? Seriously?

You can't use a tournament like this to write off a kid, that's ridiculous. Last year Myers and Teubert looked like garbage, look at them now. Scott Glennie got cut from the team, I guess he's garbage too. Should have gone with Tatar or Panik, last year's golden boys, right?

Evaluate him over a full season and then get back to us. Writing off a kid over a two week tournament after major knee surgery is ignorant.

I agree with most of your post, but Myers was fantastic last year as the tournament progressed. I went into the tournament with no idea who he was and was incredibly impressed. Bla bla bla something that rhymes with -essed.

Tombernack

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Relax, Cowen is young and eligible for next year. He's got some time before he deserves to be written off like this.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
He was picked as high as he was for the same reason Zdeno Chara and Boris Valabik were.

Sometimes it works out(Chara), sometimes it doesn't(Valabik).

For every Victor Hedman out there, there's 3 or 4 Wade Belaks.

To add, however, I'm in no way making a judgment on Cowen from one tournament. people at HF treat the WJCs as the end-all\be-all statement on a prospects career. As much as PM may ooze manlove over a particular player, as much as someone may dazzle us--it's no testament to what they'll do as an NHL player. Just ask Anthony Stewart, Jeff Glass, etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad