WJC: Jared Cowen

• Thread starter Tavaresmagicalplay*
  • Start date

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Has anybody noticed from watching this guy in the WJC that this guys skating issues were massively underestimated going into the draft? Honestly there was talk of him actually being a good skater going into the draft. The times I have seen him in the tournament he has been a huge liability on the ice. He's gotten next to no ice time in the tournament and the coaching staff seems to have no confidence in him.

How in the world did he make this team?

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Even if thats the truth and he hasn't recovered from it(which I really don't believe) WHY THE HELL DID THEY BRING HIM?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
It seems he still hasn't completely gotten over that knee surgery yet.

Bingo. 18 months is a realistic timetable to be back to peak effectiveness after this operation. It hasn't even been a calender year since it happened. Frankly, it's a medical marvel that players even recover from this type of operation. As little as 10 or 15 years ago, it was a career death sentence.

If he's still playing this bad next season, it may be time to get concerned. Ottawa knew what they were taking on when they drafted him.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

It looks like a disatrous decision right about now. If he looked THAT sluggish I don't know how they could rationalize that decision.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
He actually was a very very strong skater. As someone who lived in Spokane on-and-off over the past few years and have seen several Chiefs games, I can say that skating was not in any way a weakness before his injury. I haven't lived there this year and havent' seen the team much since last years' playoffs (which he was obviously already gone for) so I can't say how recovery is going other than this tourney, which hasn't been good. But to your original question, skating was a strength before.

MatthewT

Mar 29, 2008
To be hones, early on and even in the preseason games he was getting very little ice time. Its possible this may have hurt his confidence a bit and caused some of the turnovers and what not. I have also heard that the leg he had operated on still isn't the same size as his other, so its still possible that he still hasn't recovered from his injury

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
It looks like a disatrous decision right about now. If he looked THAT sluggish I don't know how they could rationalize that decision.
Kay, no one really cares at this point. No need to rag on the guy or the team, if he played his way onto the team..from their eyes you make that decision.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Alright I suppose the injury is a valid excuse but I just cannot imagine how this selection took place. The coaching staff has been protecting this guy....I don't know if protecting is the word but he's barely seen the ice since game 1. How in the world did he stick?:amazed:

Mr Lahey*

Next game he will rebound. Cedit to the kid for playing hard even on a bad leg.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
I remember these same conversations prior to the Gold Medal Game the last two years about Steve Mason and Dustin Tokarski. I know they were our starting G and this is a depth Dman, but I think those two worked out pretty well in the final.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Its clearly a knee thing that is limiting him, but I will echo some statements as to why they even chose him.

Many other players out there that should have had a shot.

hockeywatch

Jul 18, 2008
Alright I suppose the injury is a valid excuse but I just cannot imagine how this selection took place. The coaching staff has been protecting this guy....I don't know if protecting is the word but he's barely seen the ice since game 1. How in the world did he stick?:amazed:

i am amazed at this elite level why they would take a guy who cannot skate...I guess the major sponsor CHL likes to see so many W, Q and O guys.
You would think that there were many more W guys who could have had that spot tho. I would have bet you money that Hockey Canada would take the very best players at this event but it is very very clear that that is not the case.
brutal

Pyke*

Honestly Cowen hasn't been THAT bad. I agree he's not played as well as some others, but that's not to say that whoever we could have taken instead would have played better.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Honestly Cowen hasn't been THAT bad. I agree he's not played as well as some others, but that's not to say that whoever we could have taken instead would have played better.
He's been a liability imo. I don't know what you mean by that bad. The point is they are stuck with him on their 3rd pairing(or not...). They might have to put Brandon McMillan on defense and screw up their whole second line which some people might argue has been their best line. In fact it's being speculated that thats precisely what will happen.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
If there were better choices out there than Cowen wouldn't be here. He made it to the tournament because he played good enough that he was viewed as a better choice than others.

Pyke*

He's been a liability imo. I don't know what you mean by that bad. The point is they are stuck with him on their 3rd pairing. They might have to put Brandon McMillan on defense and screw up their whole second line which some people might argue has been their best line. In fact it's being speculated that thats precisely what will happen.

I disagree that he's been a "liability". He's been given virtually no ice time, which has played a role. I agree he had a couple bad shifts (I've watched every Canada game), and at least one bad pinch... but I mean, Ellis has made mistakes, so has Teubert and De Haan... It's not like he's the ONLY one who's made errors.

Do I wish he'd play better? Sure. Would I rather have Hamonic? Sure. However, I'm fine with playing him, even if the idiot coaching staff is not.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

If there were better choices out there than Cowen wouldn't be here. He made it to the tournament because he played good enough that he was viewed as a better choice than others.

The guy has barely played. How could there have been a worse pick?
I disagree that he's been a "liability". He's been given virtually no ice time, which has played a role. I agree he had a couple bad shifts (I've watched every Canada game), and at least one bad pinch... but I mean, Ellis has made mistakes, so has Teubert and De Haan... It's not like he's the ONLY one who's made errors.

Do I wish he'd play better? Sure. Would I rather have Hamonic? Sure. However, I'm fine with playing him, even if the idiot coaching staff is not.
The problem with Cowen is I don't know if he's capable of playing right now. Against USA especially with all that speed that they have. I don't know if you can put him on the ice 1 second against the team with his knee issue because honestly, is it humanly possibly for him to skate with that team? I don't think so.

Andrew Mack

Mar 20, 2009
Niagara Region, ON
Reminds me of how Pietrangelo looked last tournament. He'll be alright, he is still recovering from surgery (that some think he'll never recover from) and he will develop into an absolute beast. Next year with a bigger role he'll really start to impress.

For a player of his size I think he moves quite well. He still needs time to grow into his body. Some players are selected on hype and he clearly was one of them, but he's an athlete and will be proving us all wrong this time next year.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Okay, thats fine. You guys are saying that once he heals he'll be a great player. My question is, why is he here now? He clearly does not have the footspeed and we are facing the americans again. You think he has the footspeed to play against those forwards? He is going to be eaten alive if he plays imo.

Horrible decision by Desjardins(or whoever chose him).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad