Jared Cowen Part II | Maybe he doesn't suck?? (edit: maybe he does)

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I disagree with the bolded.

Cowen was playing regular minutes and doing ok until his suspension, unfortunately for him the team went on a roll and Cameron decide to leave things be.

Then after the Sens lost to Toronto, Cameron inserted Cowen into the line-up after sitting him for 12 days. He played 14:37 over 19 shifts and was a +1, with 2 shots on goal, in a 4-2 win over the Panthers.

Cowen hasn't played since.

Problem is Cowen, PW and Boro all play the left side, so attempting to pair these guys means one of them is playing at a disadvantage and currently none of them need more challenges.

Wasnt Cowen benched in the third? Maybe hes dealing with an injury. Not like it matters if hes in or not at this point anyways

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Stats aren't everything.

When most of the team is playing poorly, the handful of guys playing well still won't have great stats. And conversely, when most of the team is playing amazing (like during the winning streak), a couple mediocre players can still sneak away with good numbers. Hell, even Boro and Gryba looked amazing in that Cali stretch.

It's obvious Cowen isn't in the teams plans anymore, and it's a shame. He'll find his game with another team. Fact is, we simply have too many kids here and in Bingo to keep all of them.

Hopefully we make a good hockey trade and bring in a solid 2nd pairing replacement.

Way to much certainty. I've seen nothing to indicate he can be more then all the other big physical dmen 1st round pick dmen who have ended up 5/6/7 or out of the league.

Truth is we dont have many kids competing for spots on the left side. Its Claessan who is having a bad year and Wikstrand who has never played in NA or on NA ice.

Cowen's contract is just a problem if the sens want to invest in a real top 4 dman

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Give Cowen another year and if he still doesn't improve, I say put him on the trade block. Dump Gryba, Legwand and Chiasson

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Give Cowen another year and if he still doesn't improve, I say put him on the trade block. Dump Gryba, Legwand and Chiasson

Shall we give Gryba another year? Hasnt he played about the same amount as cowen? lol

Curious. Was there ever any hype on this board around Gryba? Did anyone think he'd make the NHL? He had that one season where him and Wier torched the AHL(not directed solely at you..im just curious)

BigBush*

What did Chiasson do? He seems like a decent guy to have in your bottom 6 and should be really cheap to resign

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Another year like this for Cowen and he has almost no value.

Big time. 3.7 million in salary next year, whereas Borowiecki and his 1.1 million will be optimal for a third pairing shutdown LD from both a coaching staff and front office perspective.

I've been extremely critical of Cowen over the years, as I've seen red flag after red flag with him. One thing to note, though, is how management has grossly mishandled him. They almost signed him to an eight year deal, and allowed him to sign a four year deal while he was an unhealthy and largely inconsistent player pulling the old RFA holdout.

There was an opportunity last year to demote him when he was still AHL eligible based on games played, and he absolutely needed some time with Coach Richardson as he was struggling mightily. He wasn't sent down, and the poor play has clearly continued.

Additionally, he was a prime candidate for a 'divestment' type trade this year, and yet his value has plummeted post deadline while the team has over-achieved without him.

Murray has essentially waited for the river card while holding an unsuited 2 - 7. If he doesn't miraculously assert himself as a reliable two-way second pairing guy next year, Cowen will play his way into buyout territory if he's getting pressbox treatment at 3.7 million.

So much for the value of a top ten pick. At the deadline, he likely could have been dealt for at least a second round pick or an equivalent prospect, but no GM would pay that this summer for a nearly 4 million dollar liability.

BigBush*

Lol at comparing Cowen to seven deuce. I suppose that hand has the same chance of winning as Cowen becoming a solid top 4 Dman

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
So is there any chance in hell (in your guys' opinion) that Cowen will play again this season?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Preferably we dump both Wiercioch and Cowen and make a trade for a 2nd pairing left hander who's an upgrade on both combined.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So is there any chance in hell (in your guys' opinion) that Cowen will play again this season?

Very, very unlikely

Maybe if we make the playoffs because I expect Weircioch to be especially cringe-worthy there

Problem is, I doubt Cowen would be much of an improvement

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Anyone's feelings change on him? Think the team is about done with him and will trade him for a Lee like return?

I feel like Cowen has been one of the most disappointing players this team has had in a long time. Not just in terms of where he was drafted but because were forced to keep him because him contract isnt attractive or compatible with his level of play.

Does he have a bounce back year next season at 25?

I was disappointed in Cowen's play since he first played for the Canadian junior team, where he seemed to be used very little and sat on the bench a lot. He was slow then and is still too slow now. He fails to use his size and strength in front of the net and does not hit players in the corners like Borowiecki does. In my view Borowiecki is faster and more physical than Cowen.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I was really high on Cowen when we drafted him he was the guy I wanted at 10 and we got him. He hasn't progressed like we'd like and his holdout left a sour taste in my mouth. I'd like him as a third pairing for right now but I assume his salary is too high for that. We may have to try and ship him out. The IQ doesn't seem to here yet, but maybe a guy like Cameron can simplify things for him next season like he did with Boro.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wasnt Cowen benched in the third? Maybe hes dealing with an injury. Not like it matters if hes in or not at this point anyways

Not unless it was for the final 2 mins and 21 secs of the game, cause that's when his last shift ended.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I was really high on Cowen when we drafted him he was the guy I wanted at 10 and we got him. He hasn't progressed like we'd like and his holdout left a sour taste in my mouth. I'd like him as a third pairing for right now but I assume his salary is too high for that. We may have to try and ship him out. The IQ doesn't seem to here yet, but maybe a guy like Cameron can simplify things for him next season like he did with Boro.

I really wanted OEL but Cowen was #2 on my list. Really happy when we landed him, but agree with pretty much everything you're saying. He shows the odd flash of promise, but I'm starting to feel the same way about him as I felt about Shubert. Just can't put all the tools together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad