Jared Cowen Part II | Maybe he doesn't suck?? (edit: maybe he does)

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
As a response to the thread title, the jury is still out (and I'm playing Lee J. Cobb on this one).

Absolutely, I've been as hard on Cowen as anyone, but the reason I was so hard was because he wasn't showing ANYTHING. At least these past few games he has shown that he has the potential to be at least an average defenceman. At least he is giving us something.

BigBush*

He's still so damn fumbley with that puck. At least he makes up for it by pushing people around

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
The thread title perfectly captures what I think many of us are thinking right now.

There are signs. Better mobility and board play. I just wish he wouldn't jump in the play and get caught down low so much. That and the whole puck-grenade thing is still lingering.

I loved it when he bullied that one leaf guy.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The puck handling is improving with his confidence, I'd say step in step...and he is a very good passer, underrated imo. Iam hoping for his continued resurgence.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I had him written off as a bottom pair journeyman after he started the season looking like a slug.

Gonna wait until he keeps this level of play up for 20+ games before changing my mind.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
shows (again) that he has potential you don't trade away for less value

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
2014/15 is still the season of the Cowen trade watch in my eyes. His markedly improved play of late, should he sustain it, ought to expand the market for him and drive his price up.

Don't forget, his extended period of inconsistent (to say the least) play began in the 2013 playoffs, and extended into the start of this season. That's a long time on the hot seat for a player who played hardball going into his first RFA contract.

Logically, management never would have made a move with him while he was playing ongoing awful hockey. Assuming he has a more consistent season, though, it wouldn't surprise me to see management move on come the deadline or offseason if the right package came along.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
2014/15 is still the season of the Cowen trade watch in my eyes. His markedly improved play of late, should he sustain it, ought to expand the market for him and drive his price up.

Don't forget, his extended period of inconsistent (to say the least) play began in the 2013 playoffs, and extended into the start of this season. That's a long time on the hot seat for a player who played hardball going into his first RFA contract.

Logically, management never would have made a move with him while he was playing ongoing awful hockey. Assuming he has a more consistent season, though, it wouldn't surprise me to see management move on come the deadline or offseason if the right package came along.

There is little logic or fact to support any view that suggests Cowen will be traded or might be traded this season IMO.

Cowen showed his potential early, then injuries set him back immeasurably. His recent play is showing once again he is definitely a player BM won't be in a hurry to trade.

Barring injury, Cowen will be the best defensive D-man on the Sens and will also be better than average offensively by the end of this season.

Only on HFB are players traded due to a bad stretch and in some cases a bad game.

It this kind of foolishness that leads me to believe the many posters have little expertise when it comes to player evaluation.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Cowen has Seabrook potential. Maybe a bit more actually, because he handles the puck well in the offensive zone and is good on the boards. That could do wonders for his offensive game. Harder shot too, needs to work on his accuracy a bit though.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
His next game will cement the opinion that he is a bust, or a top pairing defensemen. Depends on how well he plays and if you loved or hated him before. Then that will shift the next game if he plays the opposite.

I'll just maintain my excitement over having Karlsson, Ceci, and Cowen as the Sens top 3 for the next few years.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The thread title perfectly captures what I think many of us are thinking right now.

There are signs. Better mobility and board play. I just wish he wouldn't jump in the play and get caught down low so much. That and the whole puck-grenade thing is still lingering.

I loved it when he bullied that one leaf guy.

I don't mind, and in fact do like my teams to have, defencemen jumping up into the play or going deep into the opponents end; however, when they do, the forwards must read and react to that and cover for them. In addition, if defencemen do that, then they must get back quickly once their involvement in the attack ends. Not all defencemen can do it and those who lack the skating and puckhandling skills should not do it (e.g., Gryba, Phillips, Borowiecki) generally.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

He's not trade bait. If anyone is, it's Wiercoch.

Our biggest weakness is defense and there isn't a trade out there that would get us a quality defenseman that we would need to replace him.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
There is little logic or fact to support any view that suggests Cowen will be traded or might be traded this season IMO.

Cowen showed his potential early, then injuries set him back immeasurably. His recent play is showing once again he is definitely a player BM won't be in a hurry to trade.

Barring injury, Cowen will be the best defensive D-man on the Sens and will also be better than average offensively by the end of this season.

Only on HFB are players traded due to a bad stretch and in some cases a bad game.

It this kind of foolishness that leads me to believe the many posters have little expertise when it comes to player evaluation.

Are you an expert?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm so happy for him and the team that he seems to be back on track (and yes, he'll still have bad games and strings of them even)

It must be such a relief for him

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

A little early to be giving up on a player like Cowen. Young defenders can take some time to hit their form and be consistent.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
trade everyone that hfboard members hate.
wont happen
somehow, the GM of this team and his scouting team have superior knowledge to all us pundits.. surprised? not me

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He's 23 and had a fair amount of big (as in, long recovery time) injuries. His development curve isn't in the normal range because of it.

In two years (barring any more big injuries), we'll know what we have.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Absolutely, I've been as hard on Cowen as anyone, but the reason I was so hard was because he wasn't showing ANYTHING. At least these past few games he has shown that he has the potential to be at least an average defenceman. At least he is giving us something.

All he's doing is showing you a continuation of what he showed two years ago before the injury.

Always been surprised few seem to see it that way.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Cowen has Seabrook potential. Maybe a bit more actually, because he handles the puck well in the offensive zone and is good on the boards. That could do wonders for his offensive game. Harder shot too, needs to work on his accuracy a bit though.

Seabrook is debatably a top 10 d man in the NHL. Cowen is a healthy scratch. If he magically turns into a top 4 d man somehow I will be extra tic. It's insulting to Seabrook to suggest cowen is anything close. Seabrook was on team canada and in the super draft. He makes the game look easy Cowen does the opposite.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Are you an expert?

Not if he thinks he's the best defensive d man on the team. Haha Boro has been much better this season and obviously Methot is.

He has played better as of late but I can't believe some of the stuff im reading 'a great passer' lol what?

He struggles going d to d. He has been physical down low and his stick has been much more active but he is what he is. A puck mover he is not.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not if he thinks he's the best defensive d man on the team. Haha Boro has been much better this season and obviously Methot is.

He has played better as of late but I can't believe some of the stuff im reading 'a great passer' lol what?

He struggles going d to d. He has been physical down low and his stick has been much more active but he is what he is. A puck mover he is not.

He has been one of our top 2 D in each game since he's been back, which showed by leading the team in TOI.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad