Waived: Jared Coreau

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Said this yesterday, I dont see why the harm in picking him up. Sparks looks like he maybe Justin Pogge--really good AHL but not NHL--early to say. But after Sparky we have Joseph Woll and he is our best prospect back there since Rask (so they say). But he is far off. Why not pick up Coreau? He looked solid last night, he fits Babcock's goalie profile (big mobile), in fact Babcock probably knows things about him as well from his time in Detroit. It is a low risk move, and high reward. If our group thinks he is better than Sparks, and lets go MCbackup next year (i think happens) Coreau looks like he can be a backup now as it sits. Just won Calder Cup in AHL last year as well.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
We don't need him. McBackup has played well and I like his positioning and style. Also, his stats vastly outperform Coreau's at the NHL level last year. This thread is a joke.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We tried it's known they went after Condon but Ottawa gave him a 3rd year otherwise he'd be in Toronto and that came from Elliott Freidman

Yes and we didn't get him so McBackup is "the guy", if you want to upgrade in the backup position that's fair and I'm not entirely sure about McBackup either but going after waiver wire rubbish isn't upgrading

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I will say that this whole "Coreau's numbers in the NHL suck" thing is a little bit overblown. Detroit was awful last year, just like the Leafs in Sparks' first stint. Young goalies have troubles looking good behind good teams... What's their chances behind terrible ones?

That being said, as some have alluded to, Coreau does not look special. He "led" Grand Rapids to a Calder with a .909 .SVV% and almost a 3.00GAA in the playoffs... That's below average. His regular season stats hardly even jump off of the page, and he split the season with Cal Heeter (Marlies 3rd goalie as of right now) and Eddie Pasquale... Both who did as good or much better than he did in more brief stints (Coreau played 33 games, Pasquale like 27 and Heeter 12).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Yes and we didn't get him so McBackup is "the guy", if you want to upgrade in the backup position that's fair and I'm not entirely sure about McBackup either but going after waiver wire rubbish isn't upgrading

Wasn't McElhinney waiver wire rubbish ;)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Oh I think you got it twisted, I think you think I want Coreau, no no I just DON'T want Mcbackup.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Oh I think you got it twisted, I think you think I want Coreau, no no I just DON'T want Mcbackup.

And what reasonable reason do you have for not wanting him enough that you'd rather have a mediocre mid-20's goalie replace him?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

And replace him with who?

I'm like you, I have some pretty strong reservations about McBackup but we're stuck with him unless a decent option becomes available and I don't think that's out there at the moment

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Said this yesterday, I dont see why the harm in picking him up. Sparks looks like he maybe Justin Pogge--really good AHL but not NHL--early to say. But after Sparky we have Joseph Woll and he is our best prospect back there since Rask (so they say). But he is far off. Why not pick up Coreau? He looked solid last night, he fits Babcock's goalie profile (big mobile), in fact Babcock probably knows things about him as well from his time in Detroit. It is a low risk move, and high reward. If our group thinks he is better than Sparks, and lets go MCbackup next year (i think happens) Coreau looks like he can be a backup now as it sits. Just won Calder Cup in AHL last year as well.

Justin Pogge was absolutely terrible in the AHL.

254gms, .902sv%.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Do you actually ever contribute constructively here? I know it's like the pot calling the kettle black as I'm pretty much here to post smart Alex-y one liner rebuttals, but JC you are terrible.

No, he does not.

He replies to almost all of my posts similar to his reply above and follows me around the forums. It's exhausting.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Do you actually ever contribute constructively here? I know it's like the pot calling the kettle black as I'm pretty much here to post smart Alex-y one-liner rebuttals, but JC you are terrible.

I don't really discuss ridiculous posts but I do acknowledge them sometimes, like your post above :)

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Not sure what the obsession with replacing McBackup is. Seems to get brought up daily. I thought the guy was fine last year. Willing to give him a shot this year in the backup slot.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I don't want either guy

Then who do you want? I am looking around the league and I am either seeing not much better, or a lot more expensive. It'd be nice to pay 3 mill on a backup, but that's not feasible when you may only get a few more wins than an 850k McElhinney.

Only 7 guys did better than McElhinney's .917 with >10 games and <40 games last year: Dell (SJS - .931), Howard (DET - .927), Grubauer (WSH - .926), Darling (CHI - .924), Saros (NSH - .923), Nilsson (BUF - .923), Raanta (NYR - .922)... Quick also only played 17 games due to injury and put up a .917, Budaj came in and played 53 games in relief and put up .917 as well.

Dell was a 28 year old 6'0" rookie last year. Saros was playing his first full season as a backup. Nilsson went on to get a longer term 2.5 mill contract from Vancouver. Darling and Raanta are now penciled as starters with new big money contracts. Howard made like 5.3 mill last year and looks to be the starter for Detroit again this year.

If you take out the Columbus stretch that boosts his numbers a bit, he's at a .914 with the Leafs last year. That adds a few more names, but other than Kinkaid, they all made a ton of money last season or will make a ton of money this upcoming season (Condon, Halak, Luongo, Bernier, etc.). Pretty much the only cost effective guys are Kinkaid (who is about as mediocre as McElhinney) and guys who, last year, were about as unproven as Sparks right now.

So really who is out there. Unless we are talking guys making 2+ mill as a backup, we are talking about guys who are going to be about as effective as McElhinney but who are maybe a few years younger (not that age matters for a backup since you are only giving short-term commitments).

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Not sure what the obsession with replacing McBackup is. Seems to get brought up daily. I thought the guy was fine last year. Willing to give him a shot this year in the backup slot.

He was fine and looked okay in preseason as well.

As long as we can go .500 with our back up, I'll be happy. I don't expect him to play more than 10-15 games if Andersen is healthy. If he's not, we need to put Sparks as the #1 or trade for a guy because I don't think you can trust McElhinney to be a temporary starter.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
He was fine and looked okay in preseason as well.

As long as we can go .500 with our back up, I'll be happy. I don't expect him to play more than 10-15 games if Andersen is healthy. If he's not, we need to put Sparks as the #1 or trade for a guy because I don't think you can trust McElhinney to be a temporary starter.

I am pretty sure everyone's concern is with McBackup starting if Andersen misses a ton of time. If anyone's starter misses a ton of time, you are probably screwed. Unless your starter was not that great in the first place so you had a more 1A/1B tandem (or you just have a really expensive goalie tandem) or your unproven backup comes up in the clutch like has happened many times over the years (Talbot, Raanta, Darling, Condon, etc.). No reason to expect Sparks can not do the same sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad