Confirmed with Link: Jared Bednar new Avs coach

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
So preseason is done and we went undefeated at 6-0. People might say it doesn't matter because it's just preseason but IMO it really does. This team needs to learn how to win and protect leads in the process. They are doing just that right now and it feels great for the fans and the players to have the team winning again. I thought it was very important that the team goes at least 4-2 in the preseason for that reason and also to show the players the new system is working. Going 6-0 might not be the best thing though going into the regular season as it might give the team a sense of invincibility but hopefully Bednar will have them prepared against that by the time next week come.

I haven't seen any of the games unfortunately but I have listened to all of them. One thing that seems obvious to me besides the obvious change in system (thank God for that), is the way they always bounce back after a bad period. I don't think they have had two bad periods in a row. Again I know it's only preseason and it's only six games but that in itself is extremely encouraging to me. Also for the first time in three years I finally have the feeling that we have a system that will allow the team to sustain a winning record.

I'm sure there will be rough patches throughout the year. We have a very difficult schedule to start the season. If we can end Oct at .500 or better I think we'll be in pretty good shape. Here is to finally watching very good hockey.

Even more important than the record is the fact that guys like Greg and Varly have looked great Varly more so than anyone. We go as Semyon goes. One concern for me somewhat is the play of EJ. He was pretty bad last night.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Even more important than the record is the fact that guys like Greg and Varly have looked great Varly more so than anyone. We go as Semyon goes. One concern for me somewhat is the play of EJ. He was pretty bad last night.

EJ has been bad since the World Cup began lol. Torts must have gotten to him.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Love how our goalies have played, but EJ & Colborne need to get themselves figured out.

EJ has been bad since the World Cup began lol. Torts must have gotten to him.

I don't know if I'd dump on him that hard, because from last night, and the way it sounded (lol), EJ and Z have been a dominant pairing for the most part. We know EJ can be better though.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Love how our goalies have played, but EJ & Colborne need to get themselves figured out.

I don't know if I'd dump on him that hard, because from last night, and the way it sounded (lol), EJ and Z have been a dominant pairing for the most part. We know EJ can be better though.

It was a little exaggerated, more on Torts than EJ lol. Any chance to dump on Torts is a good thing

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Z looked damn good last night. Poised as ever, breaking up the LA cycle, launching passes out to teammates. The time in the A did that boy wonders.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It was a little exaggerated, more on Torts than EJ lol. Any chance to dump on Torts is a good thing

We'll see, I just think EJ needs to settle down a bit. I seen a lot of running around instead of reading the play last night, even a couple no look passes. The WCH, and the new coach probably have him fired up.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I agree Z and Grigo (and the goalies) have had the best preseason, that's definitely encouraging.

It's kind of funny how Z has kind of quietly had a good camp. Some mistakes, but also some dominant play.

Lots of other story lines, but from the reports Bigras seemed like he was better as a whole through camp, where Z seemed to progress through camp more.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's kind of funny how Z has kind of quietly had a good camp. Some mistakes, but also some dominant play.

Lots of other story lines, but from the reports Bigras seemed like he was better as a whole through camp, where Z seemed to progress through camp more.

Bigras was awesome from rookie camp, showcase, through main camp. He might have been the best player through that portion. A little rougher in the games. Z wasn't the best in the rookie portion but he had a really good camp and then probably has been our best D in the games. I think it kinda highlights how they are different as players. Bigras really needs to think and process things through, he never looks good in new situations. Z just needs to feel things and go.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Bigras was awesome from rookie camp, showcase, through main camp. He might have been the best player through that portion. A little rougher in the games. Z wasn't the best in the rookie portion but he had a really good camp and then probably has been our best D in the games. I think it kinda highlights how they are different as players. Bigras really needs to think and process things through, he never looks good in new situations. Z just needs to feel things and go.

That is true, but I do believe Bigras was a casualty of his contract status. Especially with how guys like Tyutin and Weirdo have looked at times.

Anyone saying Z was the best D in camp sparks the 'But! Bigras' response from me.

All that aside, I love how Bednar seems absolutely willing to live with the mistakes from our young players all over the lineup. He truly is focused on the process with this team and that is refreshing from the WIN TOMORROW (literally) AT ALL COSTS attitude. Bednar really seems to see his rosters strengths and weaknesses, but also does not expect perfection from places he shouldn't. Non of the young players seem to be playing scared, which is nice.

Z has not been perfect on the top pairing by any means, but hes still there for the level hes impacted the games hes been in.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think there's been one positive to say about Tyutin. That said, I know when they decided to keep 7 D it would be tough for Bigras to make it. I know they weren't going to waive those guys right now.

Assuming it sticks, Z with EJ is probably the biggest pleasant surprise of preseason.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
From Friedmans 30 thoughts:

14. New Colorado coach Jared Bednar on Mikko Rantanen, before camp began: “Yes I think he's ready…real good player.†Rantanen got hurt in a rookie game Sept. 17 and hasn’t played since, so it robbed the Avalanche of more looks to make sure. He got a nine-game tryout last season and will get a shot at something longer this time.

15. Two things people said about Bednar: he teaches terrific structure and can be very blunt. He didn’t deny that second one. “I can be a demanding guy. I want our staff to be demanding, and our players to have high expectations for themselves every day whether [it's] a game or practice. Honesty…that's what the players want.†Hired so late in the summer, he referred to what happened next as “a cram session -- the assistant coaches cut their summers short to race back and help.†He talked about how he never made the NHL as a player (spending nine years in the AHL, ECHL and IHL), so it was a goal for him to do it as a coach. He’s very businesslike, although you can tell how much it means to him he reached that goal — not only for himself, but for his parents, wife and children.

16. He’s tried some interesting things in the preseason. Nikita Zadorov played the last two games alongside Erik Johnson. “We certainly want to see [Zadorov] take a big step…making sure we’re putting him in areas where he can use his skill set.†That would mean big responsibility for Zadorov, especially since the first of those games meant a lot of defensive-zone draws. Two games ago, he had Matt Duchene, Gabriel Landeskog and Nathan MacKinnon on the same line, which sounds as tasty as an In and Out burger. He did change that last night, putting Duchene with Mikhail Grigorenko and Carl Soderberg. On Duchene specifically, the coach said, “We’re going to experiment with some things. Matt is comfortable playing both [centre and wing.]â€

17. I didn’t ask Bednar about any of the trade rumours before he got there, but as one GM said about Colorado, “Their top players have very reasonable long-term contracts. No going to be easy to get any of them out of there.â€

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If In and Out is Animal Style... easily In and Out. If just normal, it is a toss up. When it comes to fast food burgers though, both Freddies and Culvers are underrated.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If In and Out is Animal Style... easily In and Out. If just normal, it is a toss up. When it comes to fast food burgers though, both Freddies and Culvers are underrated.

You can't not get In N out animal style, it's amazing. I haven't had Culver's, so I'll need to try that, but I do love Freddie's, they have good burgers. And I like seeing Z on the top line, I definitely feel like he's the type of player to play better with more minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad