Confirmed with Link: Jared Bednar new Avs coach

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd be very happy with Bednar, his aggressive, quick defensive breakout style should be a near-perfect match for this team.

Quoting this from the other thread since I assume we'll be using this one now.

Does anybody else have more info on Bednar and his system. I love hearing things like Soundwave said.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Very happy with this choice. My preferences were him or Dineen. I think we're seeing how much influence MacFarland really has. I have a feeling Dineen was more Sakic's guy, but MacFarland talked him into one of his guys.

As a bonus, they got to pick the brain of the assistant coach's to some of the best HC's and most successful teams in the NHL. Dineen (Chicago with Q) Lambert (Washington wtih Trotz) Boughner (SJ with DeBoar) and Arniel (NYR with AV). :naughty:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's going to be awfully awkward in Chicago when Dineen shows up to training camp and there's a new assistant there

:sarcasm:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
He even has a goofy picture. Perfect for when we grow to dislike him as a coach and want to make fun of him.

Ql4VWtJ.jpg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Quoting this from the other thread since I assume we'll be using this one now.

Does anybody else have more info on Bednar and his system. I love hearing things like Soundwave said.

I wrote this a bit ago.

Bednar is a much more aggressive coach. He teaches relentless forechecking and aggression. His D will pinch a lot and the forwards are expected to extra responsible because of this (I can see this being an issue with some of the Avs forwards). Compared to a team in the NHL, think Winnipeg. Aggressive, fast, physical. Players will have a good amount of creativity available to them as long as they play the right way. Extremely structured breakouts with multiple short passes.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Seems like a good hire. I've read a lot of positive comments about him. Also, I'm happy to see the Avs go in a different direction and bring in someone with no ties to this organization.

I'm guessing he was the top choice all along because of MacFarland.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
With MacFarland and Pratt here as well as winning the Calder Cup a few months ago, it's easy to see how Avs would be comfortable with this unproven NHL coach.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Seems like a good hire. I've read a lot of positive comments about him. Also, I'm happy to see the Avs go in a different direction and bring in someone with no ties to this organization.

I'm guessing he was the top choice all along because of MacFarland.

Well really, we are now favoring Columbus nepotism instead of Colorado nepotism.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I wrote this a bit ago.

Honestly, that seems like a style that might really work with the Avs defense (Barrie, Zadorov, EJ's good at rushing the puck) and offensive skill. It'll be interesting to see how the forwards act defensively, because that has been an issue. Duchene needs to get back to pre-Olympic form. Thanks for the info.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Alrighty... curious to see how Z will be used now. Bednar and Pratt are going to love his raw ability.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Extremely structured breakouts with multiple short passes

This legitimately makes me giddy. Watching teams like St. Louis break out is a pure treat. D to D to Winger to the Middle. Each pass is no more than 10-15 feet and the puck is on each players stick no longer than a second and a half. It's truly amazing.

Then it's the Avs. 3 forwards break out of the zone with speed (one or two are within 10-15 feet of the defenseman[usually Barrie]) Barrie then backs off, circles around and flings the puck through the middle of the ice hoping for it to bounce onto somebody's stick. I hope Bednar rips our defenseman apart for those low percentage plays. Break out up the wall. If a long pass through the middle is somewhat available give it a go but don't make it your first ****ing option.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Looks like Dater and "everything he's heard" were right... :laugh:

Oh wait...nope...he wasn't...he was completely wrong...like always. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad