GDT: January 16th Habs @ Sens 7:30 I assume and you can likely watch it on TSN and RDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Feel condras been playing well odd they'd scratch him against a team that's superb on PP to boot

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
AJ Jakubec ‏@AJonSports 10m
Paul MacLean says Chris Neil is in for Matt Kassian. Eric Gryba in for Patrick Wiercioch. #Sens

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
Wiercioch deserves to play. Prepare yourselves to see Phillips on the Powerplay tonight.

corksens

Jul 19, 2005
What the frig. Weircioch must have done something terrible to Maclean in a past life.

WhiteLight*

I don't disagree with this move. MTL has a hard time producing offence against big defenseman. Just look at last year's playoffs

I don't disagree with bringing in Gryba. I disagree with scratching Wiercioch

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Gryba gets to play vs certain teams, and the Habs are one of those teams.

And you should hold the absolute truth that Phillips won't come out so don't even be disappointed about it.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Gryba have earned his place to play...against the Habs.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Lack of use of PW is borderline absurd. I hope Murray trades Phillips just to open a daily spot for PW. I have nothing against Gryba being our #6, but you're making the team worse when you keep PW in the press box.

WhiteLight*

Lack of use of PW is borderline absurd. I hope Murray trades Phillips just to open a daily spot for PW. I have nothing against Gryba being our #6, but you're making the team worse when you keep PW in the press box.

This

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013

Exactly my thoughts.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Don't know why Weircioch doesn't get more games but I think in this case Maclean thinks Gryba is in the Habs heads.

And at the end of Macleans press conference-Don Brennan asking about-why isn't Karlsson scoring more?

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Intimidation factor with Montreal. Gryba makes those guys angry, so they'll be more prone to making dumb mistakes when he's around than PW.

Who else are you gonna scratch? Phillips? Not gonna happen. Ceci? He's been great. PW is the odd man out here.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
Intimidation factor with Montreal. Gryba makes those guys angry, so they'll be more prone to making dumb mistakes when he's around than PW.

Who else are you gonna scratch? Phillips? Not gonna happen. Ceci? He's been great. PW is the odd man out here.

That has to happen though. He just isn't simply playing good enough to justify a spot on the team. Best players play eh?

melnyk budget*

I don't understand why PW is a healthy scratch so often but for games vs MTL it makes a lot more sense to play Gryba.

1. Big D vs small mtl F is a good matchup for us.
2. Gryba in the lineup might get some habs off their game (payback for eller)
3. Physicality

We miss out on stretch passes, extra PP presence and speed but I feel, and I'm guessing PMac feels the same way, that we have enough offense in the roster to sacrifice some for size and strength. It has worked before against MTL.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
That has to happen though. He just isn't simply playing good enough to justify a spot on the team. Best players play eh?

I know that.

You're gonna healthy scratch this teams longest serving veteran and leader on this team?

Look at this like a job. You're at your job for 15 years. Some kid comes in who's only been working there for 3 months and he wants all your hours. Sure he may do a better job already, but would you be happy with your boss if he gave this kid what he wanted while he pushes you to the side?

In hockey maybe it should be that way, but some people need to learn a thing or two about respect.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
PW should be playing but I'm okay with it for the troll factor of Gryba. Habs fans really hold a grudge. Cool with me. And let's get real here. Philly ain't getting scratched. Period.

Edit:

Awww yeahhh.

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
I know that.

You're gonna healthy scratch this teams longest serving veteran and leader on this team?

Look at this like a job. You're at your job for 15 years. Some kid comes in who's only been working there for 3 months and he wants all your hours. Sure he may do a better job already, but would you be happy with your boss if he gave this kid what he wanted while he pushes you to the side?

In hockey maybe it should be that way, but some people need to learn a thing or two about respect.

I get what you're saying. I have total respect for what Phillips has done for this organisation

Well you can also look at like it as you're the boss of a company that is in desperate need for immediate progress(we need to get into playoff-position). You want to accomplish results that makes this company successful and to give your company the shot to move forward.

You'll have to make inconvenient decisions like letting the younger, but more productive guy more room to shine compared to this guy who has been here for 15 years but obviously is getting worse at his job and is struggling to make your company get into a better position even if it might upset him.

I wouldn't of minded letting Phillips play tonight if we were in the top 3 in the division, but as it looks like now, every single point is important and we need the best possible team on the ice. Especially against the Habs.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I dunno if that's a good idea anymore. Watching the last two Vancouver games where the Canucks simply tried to stand up for themselves and getting royally bent over from the refs for it....I just don't know anymore.

I have no idea what a penalty is anymore.

Seems guys like Gryba and Cowen will start getting reputation calls every time they touch a guy...especially against a team like Montreal.

Just have a bad feeling about tonight.

There's definitely a "directive" coming from NHL offices to seriously hurt some teams that try to play a physical, bruising game nowadays.

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
I get what you're saying. I have total respect for what Phillips has done for this organisation

Well you can also look at like it as you're the boss of a company that is in desperate need for immediate progress(we need to get into playoff-position). You want to accomplish results that makes this company successful and to give your company the shot to move forward.

You'll have to make inconvenient decisions like letting the younger, but more productive guy more room to shine compared to this guy who has been here for 15 years but obviously is getting worse at his job and is struggling to make your company get into a better position even if it might upset him.

I wouldn't of minded letting Phillips play tonight if we were in the top 3 in the division, but as it looks like now, every single point is important and we need the best possible team on the ice. Especially against the Habs.

We've been among the hottest teams in the league over the past 10 games or so with him in the line-up. I'm not saying he's been good. But the Sens have been fine lately. So I don't see the rush to take him out of the line-up just yet.

Just to clarify, I wasn't calling you out specifically when I said that. But there are a few people I had in mind.

I dunno if that's a good idea anymore. Watching the last two Vancouver games where the Canucks simply tried to stand up for themselves and getting royally bent over from the refs for it....I just don't know anymore.

I have no idea what a penalty is anymore.

Seems guys like Gryba and Cowen will start getting reputation calls every time they touch a guy...especially against a team like Montreal.

Just have a bad feeling about tonight.

There's definitely a "directive" coming from NHL offices to seriously hurt some teams that try to play a physical, bruising game nowadays.

Every team faces this problem. Habs will too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad