Confirmed with Link: Jan Rutta 3 years $8.25m

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wouldn't care at all about losing Blueger (have to think one of DOC, Poehling or Zohorna could fill that role) in general, but especially not concerned if we're bringing in someone else like a Miller or Kadri who can play C.

POJ would be of minimal interest to VAN because they have a kid Jack Rathbone who they really like and will almost certainly be their 3rd pairing LD. I can only guess that Marino was not an option at the end of the day because of cap space and not being able to find a taker for Myers yet.

So with that said, and depending whether they still like Sam Poulin or not:

Blueger + Kapanen + Poulin + 2023 1st + 2023 2nd

And if they don't love Poulin, that deal wouldn't cut it and it would have to be Pickering instead.

And in order to a deal like that, they would still have to move out money (likely one of Poolman, Dickenson, or Pearson), which is maybe why if there's a deal to be had there, it hasn't happened yet. :dunno:
The ideas floated around are Severson for Miller with other parts from the Devils (Bahl, etc).

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The ideas floated around are Severson for Miller with other parts from the Devils (Bahl, etc).

Lol. Unless they're including Jesper Brat and/or Holtz and/or their 2023 1st (probably 2 out of those 3 pieces), that's a bunch of garbage. I don't believe that.

Severson is a guy NJD deems not even worth re-signing, and he's going to be a centerpiece for a Miller trade? No chance. And Bahl "might" be a 3rd pairing guy, but that's not even for sure.

So if we're offering Pickering + 2023 1st, that's miles better than Severson + Bahl + a bunch of spare parts.

Also, Jan Rutta is cool because this is a Rutta thread, so Rutta (just to keep it relevant).

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Pleasantly surprised so far. Very reliable player defensively. A good shot as well. Thought he deserves some credit here.
He's been money. One of our most reliable defensemen all season long. Maybe the most reliable. I feel like everyone else has had up and down stretches of play, but I can't recall too many games where Rutta sucked.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He's the type of 4-6 defenseman that teams win Cups with, if that hasn't been proven already.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
No issues. I thought we overpaid for a #6/7 tweener but he's been more like a #5 so he's pretty fairly paid.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My only disappointment with Rutta has nothing to do with Rutta and has to do with how Sullivan is using him. He’s been good and I want to see him play more.

Sullivan has generally been underusing the bottom pair and I’m not too crazy about it. I want the bottom pair to be used similarly to Cole-Schultz, which means both guys in the 17-18 minute range. I don’t agree with Sullivan using the top pair so much and the bottom pair so little.

Although at the same time, Cole-Schultz got as much ice time as they did because the Penguins didn’t really have a clear “2nd pair”.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
It's crazy to me that Dumoulin is still getting 18+ minutes a night and Rutta and POJ are around 15-16. Granted a bunch of that is the PK, but still, man, Dumoulin looks only tolerable with low minutes and he looks dreadful with lots of minutes, so I know where I'd err.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
My only disappointment with Rutta has nothing to do with Rutta and has to do with how Sullivan is using him. He’s been good and I want to see him play more.

Sullivan has generally been underusing the bottom pair and I’m not too crazy about it. I want the bottom pair to be used similarly to Cole-Schultz, which means both guys in the 17-18 minute range. I don’t agree with Sullivan using the top pair so much and the bottom pair so little.

Although at the same time, Cole-Schultz got as much ice time as they did because the Penguins didn’t really have a clear “2nd pair”.
He played nearly 17 min last night and Dumo 18…lest you say, well that was OT, he and Dumo played 20-21 min against the Hawks…I don’t see the usage issue unless you want to tell me that Letang should play fewer minutes and he should get more of Letang’s minutes, and then I’d concur lol…

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
He played nearly 17 min last night and Dumo 18…lest you say, well that was OT, he and Dumo played 20-21 min against the Hawks…I don’t see the usage issue unless you want to tell me that Letang should play fewer minutes and he should get more of Letang’s minutes, and then I’d concur lol…
And he only had 14min against Winnipeg.

He's averaging just over 16min. That should be bumped up closer to 18min and Letang should be down from 24 to 22.

Reactions: AjaxTelamon

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
And he only had 14min against Winnipeg.

He's averaging just over 16min. That should be bumped up closer to 18min and Letang should be down from 24 to 22.
there are some games where he played 14 min and others where he played higher…had over 17 min against the Wild…he’s probably averaging 16-17 min for the third pair, which is fine…now should Letang get less and would I mind if Rutta got another minute or two from Letang? No…lol

the player actually getting short shrift in the minutes is POJ though, not Rutta

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
there are some games where he played 14 min and others where he played higher…had over 17 min against the Wild…he’s probably averaging 16-17 min for the third pair, which is fine…now should Letang get less and would I mind if Rutta got another minute or two from Letang? No…lol

the player actually getting short shrift in the minutes is POJ though, not Rutta
My point is you have to look at what he's averaging, not an individual game or 2.

He's only averaging 16:06 while Letang is averaging 23:56. That should be evened out some. Won't happen every game because of special teams, but over time, the averages should be higher for Rutta and lower for Letang.

POJ's TOI is lower because he's not on special teams. I'd guess he's getting about the same if not more EV time than Rutta.

Reactions: Andy99

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Rutta is exactly what the Pens needed and is a very good signing. He brings some size some physicality and SC experience to the back end. Dumo will be sheltered as he should. and Pens still need to swing a trade to get a LD with some size and grit. Winning has bought some time but Kap has to be dealt with and no way I am trading TB. He does far to much on fourth line and PK. Archibald can't last with that play for 80 games. Pens need a bigger banger there.

Reactions: Gurglesons

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
So far so good with this signing, I really like his game here. Ruh would have been knocked out for a month taking that Ovy hit a little while back.

Reactions: Jacob

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I score goal like ovi

Rutta is exactly what the Pens needed and is a very good signing. He brings some size some physicality and SC experience to the back end. Dumo will be sheltered as he should. and Pens still need to swing a trade to get a LD with some size and grit. Winning has bought some time but Kap has to be dealt with and no way I am trading TB. He does far to much on fourth line and PK. Archibald can't last with that play for 80 games. Pens need a bigger banger there.
yessssss okay okay!! thank u thank u

buy me diamond necklaces bitches!! :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad