Prospect Info: Jan Mysak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Olofsson, Hillis, Evans...There is a buffer between Danault and the abyss.

But glad to add Mysak to the pool - if the Plekanec comparisons ring true, this guy is a steal!
Is Ryan Poehling dead? :dunno:

Mysak is going to be a winger at the NHL level anyway, cant see him as a center at all...

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
This guy was someone you wanted to put in the conversation for the 16th overall pick but ultimately left in the back end of the first round. Super stoked to get him with our 2nd round pick.

He has a great shot, really hides his release point well. His skating is hard to get a read on because it doesn't look very good but yet sometimes is very effective. He's got an interesting body type too, looks stocky in the upper body with room to grow in the legs.

Flashes some really nice hands, his anticipation is top notch and he is able to create off defense into the offense. I don't see him playing C in the pro level, so consider him a W.
Bro, send your resume to the Habs and start scouting the Q in the maritimes, you see things that most of us don’t even dream of.....thanks for the analysis.

I know we do t always agree, like rarely but I respect your talents as analyzer for prospects, you have a great talent for it!!

Reactions: Habs Icing

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#Timmins-PressConference(201/10/07):Mysak
“We're excited to get Jan Mysak. We wanted to add some speed and skill. And he addresses that need, obviously...”
“He plays for the Hamilton Bulldogs, who we've close with. This is a player who played at the Under-20 World Juniors for the Czech Republic. He played mostly on the wing there. A player of his age - 17 years old - playing at the World Juniors and doing what he did is a pretty good indicator of a strong prospect that has a good chance to play at the NHL level someday, if you look back in history.”
“We like what he brings: outstanding work ethic, energy, speed, quickness, skill, and willingness to learn and be coached. We were happy to get him.”

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
What I like about this pick is he is a younger drafted player who is already over a point per game player in the OHL. Small sample size ai know. This year coming we will see what he is made of. Already a good 200ft player and hopefully the offense will grow.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I keep reading this but if you look at clips he is constantly overtaking and leaving players behind. His skating just looks ugly but I don't think he is slow.
I love Tuch and Guhle, like a lot, but this player intrigues me like no other.
I love his “potential “.....if he can clean up a few aspects of his game, I feel that he’s gonna be a gem, like a point machine at the next level.

of course he has question marks or he would’ve went top 10-15......I will follow this player closely moving forward, just seems to have that sense for making himself an offensive threat.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Godin article: The owner of the Bulldogs suspects he dropped by lack of exposure/not seeing enough of his games. Despite playing a limited number of games for them and joining in late, he was considered a leader by his teammates. His training has been affected by two mandatory quarantine and an injury.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
It's purely anecdotal, and only one person's opinion, but I played golf back in late July with a scout from a team that is not the Montreal Canadiens, and he spoke briefly about this years draft. The only reason I remember his comments about Mysak is because of a silly joke that was subsequently made about his name.

He mentioned him, and a few others I can't recall because they didn't have a name that made us giggle, as a guy that could be a huge value pick that a team might get in a later round that years from now people will be asking why he didn't go much higher. I wish that I remembered more of the specifics about why he felt that way but I do recall that he said that Mysak has one of the best releases in the entire draft class. He called it a "deceptive release" and said he had the potential to be a solid goalscorer.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Watching a bunch of his highlights and his skating stride reminds me a lot of Tatar's. Both have a weird wide stance. If Mysak can be as stable on his skates as Tatar he should be fine.

Reactions: 1000eeer

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's purely anecdotal, and only one person's opinion, but I played golf back in late July with a scout from a team that is not the Montreal Canadiens, and he spoke briefly about this years draft. The only reason I remember his comments about Mysak is because of a silly joke that was subsequently made about his name.

He mentioned him, and a few others I can't recall because they didn't have a name that made us giggle, as a guy that could be a huge value pick that a team might get in a later round that years from now people will be asking why he didn't go much higher. I wish that I remembered more of the specifics about why he felt that way but I do recall that he said that Mysak has one of the best releases in the entire draft class. He called it a "deceptive release" and said he had the potential to be a solid goalscorer.

The czech posters spoke of Mysak as being cut from elite cloth going into this season, and his numbers to date support that picture. The waters get a bit muddied with Mysak because, in his D-1 year, the structure of the czech league changed from the previous U20, U18, U16 organization that prospects like Pastrnak, Necas, and Chytil went through, making the numbers based comparison difficult to make. His was the first year. He and JJ Peterka both torched the league. Further, Mysak's performance in the playoffs basically saved his team from relegation. It was remarkable that he was even playing in the Czech league for so many games in his D-1 given that he's a july birthday, much less having that much success. Everything was pointing towards Mysak being an elite prospect coming into this year.

Then this year happened, and it was just pretty good. But nothing happened that really catapulted his stock. Prospects that rise into the top 15 typically find a niche and shine in that role in their draft years. Mysak did a lot of good things, but he didn't quite find that opportunity. Things didn't quite progress so much for him with Litvinov (who are turbo bad). And he scored at will immediately when he showed up in the OHL, but the season was only 22 games. He gets robbed of a U18, didn't have that great of a Hlinka, but did look really good at the WJC.

Who knows what would have happened if he decided to go to the OHL right out of the gate.

tl;dr: I agree with the scout. This is the draft pick I'm excited about this year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Watching a bunch of his highlights and his skating stride reminds me a lot of Tatar's. Both have a weird wide stance. If Mysak can be as stable on his skates as Tatar he should be fine.

In our dreams he's a Victor Arvidsson - a small guy that can score.

But in the video below, the way he plays the game at such a high speed, the guy that comes to mind is Pavel Bure. Of course I don't see him becoming Bure. But I'm seeing a guy that scores electric goals by quickly getting into position for a quick strike. Of course this is all at the Junior level. Really looking forward to seeing him at the world juniors.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So what's his official height? The sites all have different numbers..

Elite Prospects- 6 foot 0
Hockey DB- 5 foot 11
MyNHLDraft.com- 5 foot 10

Nevermind, I just saw the post above saying that he's 180 cm. So basically, the same height as Nick Suzuki.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I can't disagree with the scouching report on the most fundamental levels.. but he's obviously evaluating him as a center, where he projects at the wing.. so those pass attempts etc. won't be as big of a deal (where he will find his accuracy and grow his offensive repertoire through his development) as he won't be the primary puck distributor on a line.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Ej1zDA5U8AAoA9g

Reactions: Gains

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
I can't disagree with the scouching report on the most fundamental levels.. but he's obviously evaluating him as a center, where he projects at the wing.. so those pass attempts etc. won't be as big of a deal (where he will find his accuracy and grow his offensive repertoire through his development) as he won't be the primary puck distributor on a line.

I'm starting to doubt him a bit. He seems to overly rely on advanced stats. When you compare his takes with those of Draft Dynasty they are sometimes quite at odds. Who's right, who's wrong ? Hard to tell. At the moment I prefer Draft Dynasty's takes.

Reactions: Gains

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm starting to doubt him a bit. He seems to overly rely on advanced stats. When you compare his takes with those of Draft Dynasty they are sometimes quite at odds. Who's right, who's wrong ? Hard to tell. At the moment I prefer Draft Dynasty's takes.
If you go with Draft Dynasty, he was even more ecstatic about this kid.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I have stood next to him and spoken to him a couple of times in street clothes.

Last time in January at WJC

He was 5'9-5'10. I am 5'11 and was bigger.

Quite broad though for height. Frame to grow into.

so he was 17 years old when you saw him....guess what? Teenagers can sprout up quite a bit from 17 to 18. I know I did....

Reactions: Appleyard

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
what's the knock on him and why did he fall?
Apparently his skating is all I can find that was not all positive. I’ve read someone mention his first couple of strides can be “awkward” but then again in Europe the rinks are usually much bigger. Although no one denies he can accelerate nicely and has good speed....I guess it’s those first few strides.

Everything else I read is all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad