GDT: Jan. 4 • Semifinal • Canada vs. Finland • III

Status
Not open for further replies.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Pleasant surprise this one was. Finland totally outplayed Canada in this game and a large part of that was good coaching. This team overachieved under a good coach. Not sure if they can still find another gear for the gold medal game.

I called Drouin out early for being a bag of whine and that's what he was. That diva of a kid has more growing up to do than anybody on any of the teams.

Props to a large majority of Canadian fans being really gracious losers. They changed my opinion about that fanbase. A lot of other countries fans, especially Swedes and Finns, should take a page from them, instead of being sore losers/winners and trollers of the worst kind.

Teräväinen, Saros and Ristolainen were great and have been mostly throughout the tourney. Will be great to have them on the mens team in a few years.

InfernalDark*

f u Canada! Hopefully Sweden will kick those Kale's ****** ass.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
All of you, read the 3rd period again from GDT. All that whining from many canadians in that period is the reason why this ended like this.

Yeah the whine knew no boundries in the third period. I dont think I have ever seen so much of it anywhere. And it certainly was more than 1 poster.

Finland played really well in this game. Deserved to win.

zwo a vier

Jan 5, 2014
Helsinki
For those who think it was classless to pull Haapala to let TT take that PS, I think its as Canadian hockey sense as it gets. Just like Dave King calling refs to measure Jarmo Myllys' goalie mask in WHC ´88, yielding 2min penalty for Finns. So if Haapala wasn't hurt, way to go Curry Stone. Gutsy effort and gamemanship.

Last edited:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I don't believe Haapala was hurt enough that he could not have taken the penalty shot but it is not as big of an issue as it's made out to be. The game was practically over at that point so it hardly was a decisive turn of events, and who's to Haapala wasn't going to score on the penalty shot?

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
That rule should be changed so that if the player can't take the PS the team gets a power play instead. It's too easy to abuse the way it currently is. I don't blame Finland I blame the people making the rules.

zwo a vier

Jan 5, 2014
Helsinki
What kinda court murder would that be? PP instead of PS? Doesn't fit in my sense of justice. Like a slashed and injured player unable to perform PS gets a PP instead? The more u whack em' the higher possibility to get just minor for it? Geez..

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
If something really bad was to happen the ref can call more than one penalty on the play. But also just because a player gets an injury doesn't mean it was because of the other player, guys can lose their balance and wipeout into the boards or the net and hurt themselves.

Because the way the rule is now is dumb since there is no downside to a player just faking being injured so a better player can take the PS. Because faking an injury like that is really unsportsmanlike conduct and a penalty but since the ref can't prove it it can't be called.

Everlasting

Jun 5, 2010
Somwhere in time
All of you, read the 3rd period again from GDT. All that whining from many canadians in that period is the reason why this ended like this.
This. It was like 8 out of 10 Canadians whined through out the entire period. "Canadas suck" "Dumba cant make a pass" and bla bla bla bla. That was the biggest gdt whinefest i have witnessed at hfboards.

Also, huge props for Finland to outplay and outsmart Canada. They had no chance. It was men vs kids!

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
That rule should be changed so that if the player can't take the PS the team gets a power play instead. It's too easy to abuse the way it currently is. I don't blame Finland I blame the people making the rules.

That really makes no sense though. If you injure a player on a breakaway so bad he cant take a ps, you wont get a PS.

Swedish playmaker*

This. It was like 8 out of 10 Canadians whined through out the entire period. "Canadas suck" "Dumba cant make a pass" and bla bla bla bla. That was the biggest gdt whinefest i have witnessed at hfboards.

Also, huge props for Finland to outplay and outsmart Canada. They had no chance. It was men vs kids!

Thats not what bothered me. "****ing euros" "****ing third world country" "****ing finns" "Eurotrash" "European cheaters" "Eurotrash" "Europeans suck, go Canada its our game".

I mean u wouldnt be shocked seeing hatred like this in a neo nazi rally, but from hockey fans online? So pathetic. I thought Don Cherry was a poor exception among Canadians.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010

Not really true. It was just a few vocal idiots that channeled their frustration in a childish way. As it always is and with any team and nation. So let it go. We have a final to win.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
R Gilead
...All of you, read the 3rd period again from GDT. All that whining from many canadians in that period is the reason why this ended like this.

Whining, like beauty and truth, is oft times highly subjective, & in the eye of the beholder

I think it was perfectly reasonable for myself, and fellow Canucks to question the validity of Druoin's 2+ 10 ( after the Fin ducked / bailed out ) ; and likewise to question Fucale's penalty after he stopped the breakaway, his stick was lying flat on the ice and the Fin tripped over it, that's NOT a penalty in any league.

And by the same token , I think it was perfectly reasonable for Russians to question the failure to call a delay of game penalty, when they were already up a man, and when a Swede clearly batted the puck over the glass.

The ONLY difference is that a single poor decision by refs in the RUS vs Swe game, could have changed the game outcome. Not so the officiating in the FIN vs Canada game, since the BETTER TEAM CLEARLY WON, and the vast majority of Canucks, myself included, admitted as much

To call any of the above whining is simply being an ungracious winner, in my books.

As an aside ( stereotype alert ), many Euros ( and Yanks too ) seem to have an ABC ( Anybody But Canada ) mindset; and whenever a Canuck team falls flat on its face, the LONG KNIVES COME OUT :nod:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad