GDT: Jan. 4 • Semifinal • Canada vs. Finland • III

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
This is the worst Team Canada I've ever seen at the WJC.

We still beat the Russians tomorrow. :laugh:

It's a shame that we're out.......again. But that's hockey. Congratulations to Finland, they're really coming back, what a player Teravainen is, the Blackhawks fans must be happy. :)

Now, let's wait for the olympics. It may sounds weird now from a canadian after this loss, but it's still true. It's the best tournament in the world and we're gonna have an amazing group of players and it's gonna be one of the best teams we have ever seen IMO. :nod: It's gonna be hard, it's not gonna be easy. But....we have to prove it we're still the best :) After all these years, 5 years in a row without a gold at WJrs, and it's gonna be 7 years from the last gold medal at WHC (2007), it would be even the most beautiful and greatest feeling of victory in Sochi, winning with all the best players. CAN'T WAIT ! :yo::yo:

Last edited:

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
For everyone who watched the game, how did Juuse Saros look? He's had some impressive numbers but has he faced difficult shots or has it been more attributed to good team defense by Finland?

yoss

May 25, 2011
No penalty shot at the end of the game that didn't matter nor other contentious penalty calls earlier in the game changes the fact that Canada got outclassed today by Finland. Give credit where it is due, Finland played a great game. I question the way Sutter had the team prepared b/c they looked completely out of sorts for long stretches of time.

I'm sure the Finnish play had something to do with that, and I think for anyone watching that game objectively realizes Finland deserved to win and was the better team. Canada had it's fair share of chances on the PP anyways. Agree with everyone saying they got outcoached, Canada imo looked as flustered and disheveled out there in the 3rd as they did in the 1st. Hardly looked like a "team" at all honestly.

Congrats Finland, looking forward to the game tomorrow. The second one that is. Might check out the bronze medal match to see how Horvat looks and also to see how pissed off both teams are. That will not be a happy game haha but at least it's Canada Russia so it might still be entertaining.

Canada needs to get it's **** together for the WJC. Disappointed in the effort today, as I'm sure many Canadians are.

Last edited:

Kajax

May 8, 2009
Quebec City
It was painful to watch that game, the third period was horrible. I don't really like to bash on junior players, but today Canada didn't shows up.

I wish the best of luck to Finland against another great nation.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
So, after 5 years losing the gold, do you all think our development plan is still super duper? Just another year of bad luck, right?

Don't know about your development plan but if we look at team Finland and todays goal scorers Nikko, Lehkonen, Ristolainen, Teräväinen and Drouin. All those Finnish players play against higher competition than Drouin every night. Ristolainen has been in NHL&AHL this season and others in Finnish Elite League. In FEL all players are men and professional, just couple of junior age players (those end up playing in Team Finland WJC). Difference between bottom-6 players in FEL is HUGE compared to bottom-6 players in CHL.

ogoaltrop

Oct 9, 2011
Canadians blaming the game on the refs are kidding themselves, Canada was 0/5 on PP, Finland 1/5, Finland was the better team
Its the Canadian way, had the leafs lost the winter classic. they would have blamed the refs and the snow.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
(?) More like passer.

After checking the scoring statistic I think you are right. He effectively didn't score often but assisted by 10 goals of the Finns. The best scorer by the Finns is Saku Mänalanen with 6 goals as much as Filip Forsberg by Sweden.

S. Mänalanen seems to be a good scorer I hope he stays healthy and will be also an efficient player for the senior national team in future.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Not suggesting pressing any emergancy button or anything but it seems Canada better make some changes to their youth development. I think this team was the worst I've seen at the world juniors since I started watching the tournament six years ago. I was shocked at how soft this team was, generally that's not an area where Canada have been lacking in before. Their offense had no sting and didn't seem to develop any sort of chemistry. The goalies were not a difference maker as usual. If these guys would have been allowed to play in ECHL/AHL or whatever I think they'd be far more developed at this point. You can see how much it has benefitted Sweden and Finland's teams' to be playing against men on a regular basis.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
We can blame ourselves (deservedly) all we want but the fact is we lost to a team that also manhandled the Russians.

Finland being in the finals is not a fluke. Best of luck to them.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Don't know about your development plan but if we look at team Finland and todays goal scorers Nikko, Lehkonen, Ristolainen, Teräväinen and Drouin. All those Finnish players play against higher competition than Drouin every night. Ristolainen has been in NHL&AHL this season and others in Finnish Elite League. In FEL all players are men and professional, just couple of junior age players (those end up playing in Team Finland WJC). Difference between bottom-6 players in FEL is HUGE compared to bottom-6 players in CHL.
You may have a good point but remember this is just one tournament. The junior development is going in the right direction after some very dismal years but I don't think Canada should start taking junior tips from Finland quite yet...

If you want better example of "playing with men", look at Sweden. Especially helps there that difference between SHL and Allsvenskan is much smaller than in Finland between FEL and Mestis i.e. a lot more spots for young players.

Swedish playmaker*

Not suggesting pressing any emergancy button or anything but it seems Canada better make some changes to their youth development. I think this team was the worst I've seen at the world juniors since I started watching the tournament six years ago. I was shocked at how soft this team was, generally that's not an area where Canada have been lacking in before. Their offense had no sting and didn't seem to develop any sort of chemistry. The goalies were not a difference maker as usual. If these guys would have been allowed to play in ECHL/AHL or whatever I think they'd be far more developed at this point. You can see how much it has benefitted Sweden and Finland's teams' to be playing against men on a regular basis.
To be honest the Canadians have been regressing on the goalie side for quite a long time. They still produce the best forwards though. Suppose the Canadian kids needs more goalie role models, I mean it's so much #87 focus.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Its the Canadian way, had the leafs lost the winter classic. they would have blamed the refs and the snow.

Yeah, no one else has ever complained about the officiating before except for Canada. :laugh: Complaining about officials is bad, but posts like these are even worse.

OneArmedMango

Jan 3, 2014

-.- im both a Canadian and a Leafs fan, and i can admit not only did Canada get outplayed today but the Leafs also were outplayed in the winter classic

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Canada's captain Laughton just said in an interview that Finland was better in every aspect of the game and Canada didn't deserve to win.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
You may have a good point but remember this is just one tournament. The junior development is going in the right direction after some very dismal years

Of course we cannot match Canada in long run. They have huge mass of motivated junior players. And I agree that their -94 age group is not as good as usually.

but I don't think Canada should start taking junior tips from Finland quite yet...

Well... The best tip might be to allow junior players to AHL. But that could hurt the CHL business.

If you want better example of "playing with men", look at Sweden. Especially helps there that difference between SHL and Allsvenskan is much smaller than in Finland between FEL and Mestis i.e. a lot more spots for young players.

Yeah. Sweden is superior in junior production, best system after USNTDP

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Who was that hot blonde behind Canada's net in 1st and 3st? She was so hot she must be celebrity from it. If you ask me, that's what WJC 2014 will be remembered for.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Poor Griffin :(

Jip ‏@FishandJips 1h
Maybe if @GriffinReinhart wasn't such a skid and moved his feet team Canada would have had a chance. #BenchTheLoser

Griffin Reinhart ‏@GriffinReinhart 7m
@FishandJips say what you want but you don't have to tag people so they see it. Show some respect

Delete your twitter account if you dont wanna be tagged.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Who was that hot blonde behind Canada's net in 1st and 3st? She was so hot she must be celebrity from it. If you ask me, that's what WJC 2014 will be remembered for.

I missed that and with Canada out now it pretty much much adds up to a total loss for me this year.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
To be honest the Canadians have been regressing on the goalie side for quite a long time. They still produce the best forwards though. Suppose the Canadian kids needs more goalie role models, I mean it's so much #87 focus.

Those forwards didn't show much this tournament though. I was more impressed with their D. Drouin is skilled indeed but he acted liked a little kid throughout the whole tournament. Barely even used his linemates. That stuff won't fly in the NHL, I expect him having to learn that lesson sooner rather than later.

Didn't see much of Sam Reinhart this tournament either. Sure he's young but for a guy expected to go #1 overall next year I sure wasn't impressed. Ekblad, however, was a lot better.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Can I just say you guys suck, the ones that defended the Bigras selection in particular saying how good he was and how he almost made the Avs out of training camp. He was horse ****. So was Pelech. Why did they take those two over Nurse and Finn who were by far the better players in the OHL and good prospects aswell.

Also **** them leaving Domi and Brown at home in favour of a bunch of useless grinders. Brown has been leading the OHL in scoring from day one and still is without McDavid on his line and yet they completely disregarded him. Domi is more skilled than everyone there except for Drouin and McDavid and has been hot lately. This is inexcusable.

Only Hockey Canada. Have the most talented nation in the world, no one can compete with their talent but they instead choose to take a bunch of grinders. Only hockey ****ing Canada.

So frustrated

Your right if we just had taken more Leafs we would've won. What about Gauthier he was by far our best player :shakehead. If anything Domi should've been on the team instead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad