GDT: Jan. 4 • Semifinal • Canada vs. Finland • III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
The reactions in this thread....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Goodness, grow up people, these are kids playing a game. I get as into it as anyone but just relax and enjoy the games instead of blaming everything on the refs or wishing eternal damnation upon the souls of all the kids who played poorly.

I couldn't be happier about the results today though, I don't care who wins the final so I'm just hoping for a good game!

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
The only thing on my mind right now...

Is media darling Lazar still smiling?

Lazar had a good tournament, and a good game today. Why hate on him?

This. amount of whining and sore loser tears by canadians is.. wow. just amazing. not that it's anything new tho.

Pretty sure there are more posters calling out Canadian fans for being poor losers than there are Canadian fans actually being sore losers.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Lazar had a good tournament, and a good game today. Why hate in him?

Pretty sure there are more posters calling out Canadian fans for being poor losers than there are Canadian fans actually being sore losers.

Canadians somehow managed to be poor losers in the Sweden - Russia game thread without even playing, so I guess it carried over here? :laugh:

tinkezione

Butcher's Dog
Jul 22, 2013
Nicosia, Cyprus
Extremely good game today. Finland forechecked the **** out of Canada and Fucale was not on the level of his previous matches. Totally unexpected result but I'll take it. Now, let's beat those Swedes tomorrow...shouldn't be too hard given the display tonight. And I wish the best of luck for Canada tomorrow for the bronze.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009

Yeah I think the great majority of Canadian fans are being great, but you have a reason to be mature as you have been on the winning end more than not :laugh:. The same is with Finnish fans, a few loud ones are making the thread look worse than it really is.

One lucky bounce giving the early lead for Finland might have well been the confidence boost Finland needed for the win. Not going to the referee talk as there always are some calls that are questionable, but all in all it was a great game, and as a fan of Finland I approve of the result. Thought Canada would win close to double digits if they showed up or at least with ease if they didn't show up. Boy was I wrong, and lost a lot of money betting the result :laugh:.

Good luck Canada in the Bronze medal game, even if the Bronze won't propably taste to you as good as it would to a team like Finland (I was rooting for Finland to get one before the tournament, I'm sure as hell you didn't).

Hoping for another upset tomorrow, that being Finland winning the gold.

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010
Finland deserved the win. The way Canada played was absolutely brutal. Couldn't hold onto the puck when they had it controlled, couldn't make a pass, couldn't receive a pass. You name it, if it came to getting the puck onto a Canadian players stick they had trouble doing it. Yes, Finland was on them, but even at times where they were not Canada had trouble, just a brutal game.

I also wish the players would have shown more hustle, they looked (I say looked, I know they do care), but they looked like they really didn't care. Maybe worn out I dunno, but they just did not look into the game one bit from what I saw until maybe 7 minutes left in the third until they took the penalty which sealed the deal.

Good on Finland for finally getting a win against Canada though, and good luck in the final.

KerPatrick

Tee Hee You Missed!
Feb 18, 2009
Canada
Congrats Finland, the better team definitely won today. Canada could learn a thing or two from the finnish team thats for sure. Ill be rooting for you tomorrow!

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I agree, it's the same story we've seen a dozen times for Canada. Canadian WJC coaches are just dumb. Every tournament the European teams seem to employ better tactics and better systems. Whereas more often than not Canada puts low skill grinders on the roster, and tries to win with "heart" and "grit" and other "intangibles", rather than smart play.

It's not that Canada's best players are in the NHL. It's that their best coaches are.

I think people used to the fact Finland WJC teams are often undercoached (as it has been trend for last 10 or 15 years). previous two years team was great but mentality behind system was not. this time it has been totally different, coach Kivi is a stellar professional coach. he led inferior Ässät for champion last year in FEL with same system you saw today. It's obvious team Canada was not coached on same level.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Yes, final is aired live on Sub tomorrow, which means free tv! :yo:

I haven't seen a Team Finland play tactically this well since the 2006 Turin semifinal vs Russia.

Mr Karri Kivi for the A-team, for the president, for the.. whatever you say I'll buy it! The guy is constantly turning less talented teams to solid winners. Tomorrow is not even a contest, Sweden has already won the game.. but he absolutely maxed out this years team. Only if someone had done same for last years too when Finland actually had a good team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Finland deserved the win

Hockey Canada needs to reevaluate their program. Too much arrogance around it. I find I don't even care much when they lose now

So true. These kids seem to also be having a tough time living up to the TSN/Program of Excellence hype. It's like a random CHL all-star team cobbled together and they crumble under pressure. Finland played hard, smart and as a unit. Haven't seen that kind of cohesion with a Canadian team in years.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Finland completely outplayed Canada.

There is nothing more to say other than that.

Good luck to Finland in the Gold Medal Game.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Any explanation of what Petan did to deserve the 10 min penalty?

Same what Drouin did, they together collected 20min by not respecting authority of referee. Means you don't shout **** *** to them, it's automatically personal misconduct.

One call I don't get (even by IIHF standards) is this, how can you call 2min for that, it's a penaltyshot or nothing

1793627.jpg

Last edited:

Zorkan

Same what Drouin did, they together collected 20min by not respecting authority of referee. Means you don't shout **** *** to them, it's automatically personal misconduct.

One call I don't get (even by IIHF standards) is this, how can you call 2min for that, it's a penaltyshot or nothing

1793627.jpg

Yes, I assume the refs thought that the goal chance was already over when the penalty happened?

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
I am the most patriotic Canadian around, but Finland deserved to win. They played hockey as it should be played.
This is sort of an off-topic question and not meant in malice, but is it part of Swedish culture to be arrogant and passive-aggressive? I've been to Sweden for a few days and, from what I've ascertained these boards, it seems to be the case.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Lazar had a good tournament, and a good game today. Why hate on him?

THIS.

One "bad" post by a Canadian = 10 posts calling out Canadians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad