Jan 19th Kings/Hawks to be Televised on NBC - Regionally

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
So the other NBC game is Pitt-Philly and our game is against the Blackhawks. All three teams have a quite history of getting games on NBC. Now I know why we didn't get any of our big rivals like the Vancouver, Anaheim, or San Jose. NBC's Big 7: Rangers, Bruins, Red Wings, Blackhawks, Capitals, Flyers, Penguins

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So the other NBC game is Pitt-Philly and our game is against the Blackhawks. All three teams have a quite history of getting games on NBC. Now I know why we didn't get any of our big rivals like the Vancouver, Anaheim, or San Jose. NBC's Big 7: Rangers, Bruins, Red Wings, Blackhawks, Capitals, Flyers, Penguins

That's why the Rangers were supposed to be the team the Kings played. That's why the Bruins were the team to play against the Ducks in their home opener after winning the Cup.

That couldn't happen this season, so it was probably down to Detroit or Chicago. Detroit hates going to the west coast, so Chicago drew the short straw.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I need help, guys.

I'm done with my contract with ATT Uverse and I am considering leaving them. I pay about 200 bucks a month for 4 HD receivers, whole house DVR, and high speed internet service.

The service is pretty good but I don't get NHL Network and they don't offer center ice.

I'm curious what you guys pay for your television and internet service and if you like it. I love in Tustin and I'm not totally opposed to DirectV but I heard their contracts and customer service are a joke.

Thanks.

I'm in Long Beach and have charter. I pay $130 a month which includes sports tier (NHL network, NBC sports), showtime, starz, TMC and I have high speed internet. I have 1 HD DVR box and 2 non hd boxes. Charter does not offer center ice either. I was looking at getting gamecenter and streaming through a sony blue ray player with WiFi. I'm spending $0 on the NHL this year though.

The Butcher

Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
I'm in Long Beach and have charter. I pay $130 a month which includes sports tier (NHL network, NBC sports), showtime, starz, TMC and I have high speed internet. I have 1 HD DVR box and 2 non hd boxes. Charter does not offer center ice either. I was looking at getting gamecenter and streaming through a sony blue ray player with WiFi. I'm spending $0 on the NHL this year though.

I wish I had your kind of conviction. I'm just addicted I guess, lol. And my dad happened to get season tickets this year so it looks like I will be spending plenty of money at Staples Center in the coming months.

And hey thanks for the info. Are you still on any kind of promotion with those prices? I think I'm paying too much for what I get.

Does anyone know if I can stream gamecenter on my xbox?

Last edited:
I wish I had your kind of conviction. I'm just addicted I guess, lol. And my dad happened to get season tickets this year so it looks like I will be spending plenty of money at Staples Center in the coming months.

And hey thanks for the info. Are you still on any kind of promotion with those prices? I think I'm paying too much for what I get.

I'm sure i'll cave if they make the playoffs and hopefully I score some freebie tickets but i'm trying to make my own personal statement. We'll see how it works but for now, gamecenter is out of the question. Plus I paid for a full year of hockey streams.com in september (like a fool) so I have that to use.

I'm not on a promotion with Charter. Well, kinda. The jack my rates up every year or two. I then call and haggle to get the best price. That price is what I'm getting for the next year and half. I do think you are overpaying at $200. From my experience you should be able to get internet and 4 boxes for ~$150 a month.

Gamecenter Compatible Devices (XBOX 360 is listed):

http://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/cdsignup.jsp

EDIT: I personally think Gamecenter is better than Center Ice. Read this:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/10/20/2502487/nhl-center-ice-nhl-gamecenter-live-review-comparison

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
I'm sure i'll cave if they make the playoffs and hopefully I score some freebie tickets but i'm trying to make my own personal statement. We'll see how it works but for now, gamecenter is out of the question. Plus I paid for a full year of hockey streams.com in september (like a fool) so I have that to use.

I'm not on a promotion with Charter. Well, kinda. The jack my rates up every year or two. I then call and haggle to get the best price. That price is what I'm getting for the next year and half. I do think you are overpaying at $200. From my experience you should be able to get internet and 4 boxes for ~$150 a month.

Gamecenter Compatible Devices (XBOX 360 is listed):

http://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/cdsignup.jsp

EDIT: I personally think Gamecenter is better than Center Ice. Read this:

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2011/10/20/2502487/nhl-center-ice-nhl-gamecenter-live-review-comparison

Gamecenter isn't a good choice for me because you have to wait 48 hours to watch a whole archived game if you happen to miss it. I can't stay away from game scores for that long (I can only truly enjoy watching games if I don't know the final outcome). That's why I've been using hockey streams.com for the past 4 years. Their service always improves and I can jump in and watch the game whenever I want (and use their DVR tools) and the game is always available as an archive immediately after the game ends. It's cheap, although I think Gamecenter is the same price this year, and I can even watch the game on my Android if I want to.

Plus, they show 100% of NHL, AHL, WHL, KHL, and other league games. Pretty cool. But buyer beware, they do have their outages sometimes and their customer service is horrible.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012

The gamecenter app on xbox should be coming out in the next few days.

I'll be getting it and using my xbox as I enjoy watching any NHL game and since I don't have HD tv at my household, I can watch those in HD and Kings games in non-hd -__-

KingKopitar11*

135-140 phone tv Internet charter 4 boxes 1 hd dvr 3 non hd

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I took over from my landlord who was going to cancel the service with Charter since we run a shared tenant co-op at my place. I'm getting $200 for 4 HD DVRs, Sports Tier, internet and all movie channels. Only $50 a month since there are three other units but am I doing it wrong at $200?

Just wondering since I'm the actual account holder. I was unaware they didn't offer Center Ice...that's kind of laughable, but not as laughable as them not having NHL Network in HD. You pay $10 a month extra for the sports tier but the only HD channels are NFL Network and I think MLB. Red Zone Channel was pretty awesome though for when I didn't fell like driving to my buddy's place in Costa Mesa who has DirecTV.

If I had my choice of provider again, I'd go with DirecTV by far, although you still need internet through someone else. Sign up when they are throwing in Sunday Ticket for free and you are golden.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
DTV is the only way to go. the service is great. the customer support is fantastic. the only downside to satellite is weather related interruption. nothing to do about it. socal will have less issues than what i deal with in chicago.

Dish was just voted one of the worst companies by consumers. customer support sucks, the channel line up isn't as good as DTV, etc.

net connection i keep with the cable company at this point. they still have the best speed for the money. u verse and similar are typically half the speed for almost the same money.

the offerings of dish and u verse to me are ****. they tout price savings, but those savings come at your expense when it comes to satisfaction and support

The Butcher

Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
DTV is the only way to go. the service is great. the customer support is fantastic. the only downside to satellite is weather related interruption. nothing to do about it. socal will have less issues than what i deal with in chicago.

Dish was just voted one of the worst companies by consumers. customer support sucks, the channel line up isn't as good as DTV, etc.

net connection i keep with the cable company at this point. they still have the best speed for the money. u verse and similar are typically half the speed for almost the same money.

the offerings of dish and u verse to me are ****. they tout price savings, but those savings come at your expense when it comes to satisfaction and support

I was considering DirecTV. I've heard great things however when I went to call and possibly order, the sales rep really turned me off. I just wanted to get a few numbers but this guy was trying to smooth talk me with an over-the-top sales pitch. I mean like big time aggressive. I feel like a good salesman will know the product well and just try to talk to you like a normal human being, man to man. This guy was like Billy Mays on steroids. He wouldn't even quote me a price without running a credit check and seeing what I "qualified for". I'm the kind of guy that hates aggressive salesmen and will even pass on good deals because of them.

The other thing about Directv is there is no getting out of the contract even if you move somewhere where it's impossible to set up your dish and recieve service.

Last edited:
I took over from my landlord who was going to cancel the service with Charter since we run a shared tenant co-op at my place. I'm getting $200 for 4 HD DVRs, Sports Tier, internet and all movie channels. Only $50 a month since there are three other units but am I doing it wrong at $200?

Just wondering since I'm the actual account holder. I was unaware they didn't offer Center Ice...that's kind of laughable, but not as laughable as them not having NHL Network in HD. You pay $10 a month extra for the sports tier but the only HD channels are NFL Network and I think MLB. Red Zone Channel was pretty awesome though for when I didn't fell like driving to my buddy's place in Costa Mesa who has DirecTV.

If I had my choice of provider again, I'd go with DirecTV by far, although you still need internet through someone else. Sign up when they are throwing in Sunday Ticket for free and you are golden.

If you guys are paying $50 each, you are doing fine. I'm getting the SD boxes for free and I think HD DVRs are like $10 each. Combine that with every movie channel, you are paying probably about the same as me with the $200 total. Let me ask you, if I convince my neighbors to all be on the same bill then I could do that? I'm in a 4plex and I'm pretty sure we all have charter. I guess I'm worried the cable company wouldn't allow it since it is 4 separate units.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
I was considering DirecTV. I've heard great things however when I went to call and possibly order, the sales rep really turned me off. I just wanted to get a few numbers but this guy was trying to smooth talk me with an over-the-top sales pitch. I mean like big time aggressive. I feel like a good salesman will know the product well and just try to talk to you like a normal human being, man to man. This guy was like Billy Mays on steroids. He wouldn't even quote me a price without running a credit check and seeing what I "qualified for". I'm the kind of guy that hates aggressive salesmen and will even pass on good deals because of them.

The other thing about Directv is there is no getting out of the contract even if you move somewhere where it's impossible to set up your dish and recieve service.

i hear you. i that as well.....and im in sales. my approach is work with me, don't work me.

anyways i haven't had that kind of experience with them. im sure they have him and others like him, but my guess is they are in the minority. everyone ive spoken with has been very nice and helpful. billing issue/dispute, "no problem sir we will take that off your bill."

one of their biggest packages they sell is the NFL package. after the NFL crap last season i cancelled it (it auto re-news each season). i called in and told them to cancel it and didn't get any hard pitch. they asked why? i told them they don't deserve anymore of my money so they can f themselves. they laughed and cancelled it no problem.

ive had one or two issues also with the system and they support got it up and running no problem. there will sometimes be an issue after software upgrades.

ive had cable, ive had dish and ive had DTV. DTV smokes the others

FootKnight

This ****ing team
May 28, 2007
We get the the B-team.

During the playoffs, I liked the Strader team way more than Emerick anyway.

Yep!

Luc talked for so long that Sean Burke dehydrated

Didn't the league make a rule capping pre-game ceremonies at a certain time after Luc's retirement ceremony?

Gamecenter isn't a good choice for me because you have to wait 48 hours to watch a whole archived game if you happen to miss it. I can't stay away from game scores for that long (I can only truly enjoy watching games if I don't know the final outcome). That's why I've been using hockey streams.com for the past 4 years. Their service always improves and I can jump in and watch the game whenever I want (and use their DVR tools) and the game is always available as an archive immediately after the game ends. It's cheap, although I think Gamecenter is the same price this year, and I can even watch the game on my Android if I want to.

Is that because of blackout restrictions in the States or something? I never have to wait that long over here. They're up just a few hours after the game is done usually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad