Jan 19th Kings/Hawks to be Televised on NBC - Regionally

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
The Kings/Hawks game on the 19th will be televised by NBC as well - regionally (certain parts of the country will get Pens/Flyers - other parts will get Kings/Hawks).

No word on whether or not the NBC broadcasts will be exclusive in-market (an NBC exclusive would mean that CSN/Fox Sports West would not be able to broadcast the game in the Chicago and LA markets respectively)

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/1/11/3867102/nhl-schedule-2013-tv-nbc-opening-weekend

"It's been long-rumored that NBC will open up with a Flyers vs. Penguins national game at 3 p.m. ET on Jan. 19. It appears, however, that NBC will return to the old practice of regionalizing -- half the country will get one game, the other will get another.

The other game? NBC's listings page confirms that they'll be airing the home opener of the Los Angeles Kings, as they raise their banner against the Chicago Blackhawks. The likely result is that NBC will either split the country into east and west, or possibly add in a third game (New York Rangers vs. Boston perhaps?) and further split things up, ensuring a boffo rating."

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I read that article earlier this morning, but that isn't from the NHL, it's that author speculating.

It may turn out tha tway, but until the NHL releases it, it's not official

And as hockey fan, and a Kings fan, they are the champs adn deserve the national spotlight. I'm gonna be pretty pissed off if I can't see that banner raising, ring ceremony and game just because I live on the East Coast. I cant' believe NBC wouldn't air the game nationally.

They could have done Flyers at 1 EST, Kings at 4 EST and Rangers at 7 EST.

I'll wait for the official release.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Was the original banner night NBC (Sports Network)-exclusive, too?

If I remember right it was. It was supposed to be Kings/Rangers to open the season and on NBCSN (and I believe CBC or TSN in Canada).

I better get this game, they better not do something stupid and have say the Avs playing too on NBC. I get my NBC affiliates from Spokane, Washington and Detroit, so with having one in the Pacific time zone, I should be getting the Kings game I'd assume.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
It's showing up on NBC4 in my DirecTV guide for next Saturday, so there's another data point of confirmation.

I read that article earlier this morning, but that isn't from the NHL, it's that author speculating.

It may turn out tha tway, but until the NHL releases it, it's not official

And as hockey fan, and a Kings fan, they are the champs adn deserve the national spotlight. I'm gonna be pretty pissed off if I can't see that banner raising, ring ceremony and game just because I live on the East Coast. I cant' believe NBC wouldn't air the game nationally.

They could have done Flyers at 1 EST, Kings at 4 EST and Rangers at 7 EST.

I'll wait for the official release.

If I remember right (and I am speculating), the last time there were regional games simulcast on NBC (Hockey Day in America is what comes to mind), they offered the games you could not see on Center Ice. No guarantee they will do that this time, but it's a possibility.

I would also put Fox Sports West doing the game at a near 0% likelihood. This isn't NBC Sports Network. This is national NBC. NBC wants the ratings.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
If they do this regionally they better put the Kings game on Center Ice or I will flip my ****!!!

Edit: Just checked my direct tv and it's got Penguins @ Flyers listed (I live inConnecticut) so, it better be on center ice!

Edit 2: There is a channel 393 which is NBC west and does have the Blackhawks @ Kings listed. So, hopefully Center Ice and Direct TV do right or a holy war will be launched upon their candy *****!

Last edited:

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I would also put Fox Sports West doing the game at a near 0% likelihood. This isn't NBC Sports Network. This is national NBC. NBC wants the ratings.

Yeah... I checked FSW on my direct tv and it has Arizona @ Arizona St. listed in that time slot.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I guess there will be two banners raised, right? The other one being the Western Conference banner. It's too bad we didn't win the division. I want a treble this year!

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I guess there will be two banners raised, right? The other one being the Western Conference banner. It's too bad we didn't win the division. I want a treble this year!

Not if they do it like the lakers, championships only.

The conference banner, if their is one, likely won't be part of the ceremony, it will just go up later.

123slam

Dec 28, 2006
Are we going to hang the old Smythe Divison Champs banner with the newer ones in the rafters? Hope so, it would be neat to have all Kings banners in one specific area.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
But there is a Smythe Division banner.

That is for winning the Smythe Division Regular Season title. When McNall owned the team, he seemed to replace banners as they progressed. I remember that for the Campbell Conference Finals in 1992-93, they raised a Smythe Division Championship banner. For Game 3 of the Stanley Cup that year, they replaced it was the Campbell Conference Championship banner.

I think for the time being, they should put up one for each thing the Kings have won. So put the 1992-93 Smythe Division banner back up and add a 2011-12 Western Conference Champions banner up. If/when the Kings become like the Habs (or Lakers) put up only Stanley Cup Champions banners. But for the time being put up banners for all things. I hope they don't take the ones off the wall and hang them in the rafters. It would be nice if they all resemble each other. Make them colour coded, silver for division titles, purple for conference titles and black for Stanley Cup titles. If the Kings ever win the Presidents Trophy, make that a gold banner.

I wonder if they are moving everything off the wall? Are the Lakers and Sparks banners moving to the rafters too or is strictly going to be a Kings thing? Are the retired numbers moving to the rafters too?

It would be kind of cool if instead of some Thank You Fans or whatever message at the blue lines, the Kings put 2011-12 Stanley Cup Champions. It would be cool to see the Kings start a tradition of the Cup champs doing this. It would be sort of like the World Series champ putting the champs patch on their hats (or jerseys). I'd also love to see the Kings take a page from Brazil's soccer team and add a small star or crown on their jersey for each Stanley Cup Championship. Then again perhaps the Kings need to win a second one before doing that.

Sydor25

LA Kings
So far the Kings vs. Blackhawks games is what is listed in Dallas for Saturday's broadcast. I sure hope NBC shows the pre-game ceremony or it is available on Center Ice (FSW).

Is it showing up at 12 or 1pm? Up here is Sacto, my NBC has NHL Hockey listed at noon, but with "Teams TBA". Sure hope I don't get screwed.

I'm showing 2 pm Central, so 12 pm Pacific for DirecTV.

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The Wings schedule was apparently leaked. If it's correct, the Kings play in Detroit Feb. 10th at 12:30. This makes me assume it will be an NBC game.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
vader.jpg

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad