GDT: Jan 19: Flames @ Kings [8:30pm MT: Sportsnet]

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Looks-good-to-me.jpg

LOOOL I had a long chuckle at that for some reason.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Give me a minute and I'll mathematically prove to you that this isn't a must-win. It feels like a must-win, and it will feel like the end of the world if we lose, but it isn't really that important at the end of the season. We can still make the playoffs if we lose, and we can still miss if we win.

... I just want to be ahead of the Kings :laugh:. It bothers me that they are still in the race because of 11 freakin' SO/OT losses.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I find it quite telling about Hiller that the Flames are turning to an unproven rookie in a "must-win" game. Hiller lost his starting job to Andersen in Anaheim and now this. Doesn't bode well for his future as a reliable starter.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I find it quite telling about Hiller that the Flames are turning to an unproven rookie in a "must-win" game. Hiller lost his starting job to Andersen in Anaheim and now this. Doesn't bode well for his future as a reliable starter.

I wonder if he'd want out at either the TDL or the offseason if he feels like he has no future here after this season.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

I was chatting with my gf about this yesterday and she was saying how she thinks the Flames should run with Ortio/Hiller and try to trade Ramo, and I disagreed and said it's pretty telling that Hiller is healthy and by all accounts the "better" goaltender, yet the Flames are going with Ortio in divisional games on a very important road trip.

Personally I find Ramo to be far more consistent. I think Hiller has higher highs in his play, but he also has lower lows when he's off his game. Ramo is more consistent from game to game.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I was chatting with my gf about this yesterday and she was saying how she thinks the Flames should run with Ortio/Hiller and try to trade Ramo, and I disagreed and said it's pretty telling that Hiller is healthy and by all accounts the "better" goaltender, yet the Flames are going with Ortio in divisional games on a very important road trip.

Personally I find Ramo to be far more consistent. I think Hiller has higher highs in his play, but he also has lower lows when he's off his game. Ramo is more consistent from game to game.

You have a gf that discusses Flames' hockey with you?? Is this a normal thing for all of you guys?? I'm moving to Canada.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
You have a gf that discusses Flames' hockey with you?? Is this a normal thing for all of you guys?? I'm moving to Canada.

:laugh: Yeah she's part Flames fan, part Blackhawks fan. She also likes football. Her family is all very into sports. I picked a gooder.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's not that telling at all. Win and you're in. We have ran that way all year for the most part. Why change now.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
:laugh: Yeah she's part Flames fan, part Blackhawks fan. She also likes football. Her family is all very into sports. I picked a gooder.

Well, I need to find one of those! I am a sports fanatic, surely I could find one that at least likes one of the big 4 (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB)...

All I talk about hockey to is these weird people on this website called HFBoards :help:.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
... I just want to be ahead of the Kings :laugh:. It bothers me that they are still in the race because of 11 freakin' SO/OT losses.

The guy on the main board is right, though. You can look at it the other way around. LA has had very bad luck in the shootout, and their point total would be much higher if they had more luck there.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
You don't? :P

My wife actually asked the other day when "that guy we drafted last summer" will play because "wasn't he supposed to be really good?" and we often argue about where Baertschi should be playing.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Well, I need to find one of those! I am a sports fanatic, surely I could find one that at least likes one of the big 4 (NHL, NBA, NFL, MLB)...

All I talk about hockey to is these weird people on this website called HFBoards :help:.

Yeah she used to ask what I was doing on the computer all the time, now referencing HF is a regular part of my hockey conversations with her :laugh:

I also happened to catch her brother creeping HF as well but Idk if he has a username or if he even knows I'm on here :help:

EDIT:

My wife actually asked the other day when "that guy we drafted last summer" will play because "wasn't he supposed to be really good?" and we often argue about where Baertschi should be playing.

My gf is prepared for the day Sven busts/gets traded and the ensuing tears from me. Will not be pretty.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Your wife knows how to use the word "drafted?" No fair.

Aug 21, 2014

Always earned never given. Is the Flames motto. If the rookie wins 3 in a row. You put the rookie.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
I wouldn't put too much into Ortio starting a few games in a row. Hartley has showed that he likes to run with the hot goaltender, whoever it is. Ortio does look quite good though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I've never been a fan of Hartley's "win and you're in" goaltending policy. Ortio has been good enough to win, but the last couple of games there have been some mistakes creeping into his game. His rebound control has been absent and he's been lucky in a lot of cases that that hasn't come back to bite him.

I almost feel like Flames management might be just hoping he'll lose a game here so they can justify sending him down again. Ramo must be close to returning anyway and I doubt we roll with three.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I've never been a fan of Hartley's "win and you're in" goaltending policy. Ortio has been good enough to win, but the last couple of games there have been some mistakes creeping into his game. His rebound control has been absent and he's been lucky in a lot of cases that that hasn't come back to bite him.

I almost feel like Flames management might be just hoping he'll lose a game here so they can justify sending him down again. Ramo must be close to returning anyway and I doubt we roll with three.

I am pretty sure we'll roll with Ortio for next game too if he wins, but then send him back down so he can play the AHL all star game, then get back in the groove with Adirondack again. I hate rolling with 3 goalies as well, but I can handle it for another 2 games.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

The fact that Hiller was only signed to a 2 year contract should be more telling that he was never part of the organization's long term plans to begin with. Unless Hiller was really tearing it up, he was just a stop gap measure until Ortio matured enough for the Flames to determine where their goalie situation was going.

This is how I feel too, which is why I'm more comfortable with Ramo. You kind of know what you're going to get with him but with Hiller, he's all over the place. Hiller can win us games we have no business winning, but he can also sink us on games we should have had a chance in. I'm still annoyed with his performance in that Florida game.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
This is how I feel too, which is why I'm more comfortable with Ramo. You kind of know what you're going to get with him but with Hiller, he's all over the place. Hiller can win us games we have no business winning, but he can also sink us on games we should have had a chance in. I'm still annoyed with his performance in that Florida game.

Me too, hahaha. Can't get past it for some stupid reason.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I thought I was the only one :laugh:.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah like, are we getting the Hiller we had against the Hawks or the one against the Panthers? And it's not as if he's a young guy working the kinks out of his game, that's just Hiller. He can be a God or a sieve.

Tbh, I'm not sure what I'd do if I were Treliving. But it's good we're getting a look at Ortio I think.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

I thought I was the only one :laugh:.

I'm not annoyed at the loss, I'm annoyed that he completely checked out after letting in a few goals. I can accept that sometimes goalies will let in a bad bounce here and there and that's fine, but by the 5th and 6th goal you could see in his body language that he didn't even care anymore.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm not annoyed at the loss, I'm annoyed that he completely checked out after letting in a few goals. I can accept that sometimes goalies will let in a bad bounce here and there and that's fine, but by the 5th and 6th goal you could see in his body language that he didn't even care anymore.

I remember Ducks' fans did warn us about his inconsistencies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad