Jamie Baker to take a step back from broadcasting for a while

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Meh, again? Hedican isn't bad overall but sometimes has some pretty bad moments when you gotta ask yourself whether he's drunk or mad. I really liked Baker after his return...you learn to appreciate somebody even more when he's gone for a while. Hedican is fine but Baker is better. Hope he's gonna return at some point. Get well soon, Jamie!

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ukapitalo

Jul 5, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
Meh, again? Hedican isn't bad overall but sometimes has some pretty bad moments when you gotta ask yourself whether he's drunk or mad. I really liked Baker after his return...you learn to appreciate somebody even more when he's gone for a while. Hedican is fine but Baker is better. Hope he's gonna return at some point. Get well soon, Jamie!

Agreed, love Bakes on the air. Hedican is fine but doesn't feel nearly as natural. Plus, if you haven't noticed, on every fricken replay all he has to say is a rushed statement using "nice" and "little" 6 times. :ha:

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Hope all is well with him, was my original favorite shark back when I was a kid who thought his name was Jamie Bacon. That said, I really like Hedican, feel like he has great insights- he does need to cut out the "nice little play comments". A few tweaks and he could be one of the best imho.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Hope all is well with him, was my original favorite shark back when I was a kid who thought his name was Jamie Bacon. That said, I really like Hedican, feel like he has great insights- he does need to cut out the "nice little play comments". A few tweaks and he could be one of the best imho.

Agreed, I like Hedican a lot as the color tv guy.
Hope Bakes gets well and look forward to seeing him again.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Any idea what is ailing him? Not that I'm trying to pry into his business, just hoping it isn't anything at all serious. I'm concerned about him and hope he's well. I kind of missed him a little bit when he was gone.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
His statement was vague but he's a good dude and color guy. Hedican is kind of bland tbh and tries to shoehorn too many catchphrases into his broadcast.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Looks like Jamie is doing well enough to come back full time.

Randy Hahn and Dan Rusanowsky will continue in their play-by-play roles on television and radio, respectively, but radio color commentator Bret Hedican will see an increased role on the television side, about once each month.

The Sharks’ second game of the season — in Los Angeles against the Kings — will be NBC Sports California’s first three-man Sharks broadcast, with Jamie Baker joining Hahn in the booth and Hedican down between the teams’ benches.
“On opening night when the game is on NBCSN, Jamie and Bret will join Dan Rusanowsky on 98.5 KFOX and the Sharks Radio Network to kick off the new broadcast team on that format. Oct. 5 at LA – NBCSCA’s first game, all three will be on TV,” Sharks VP of Media Relations and Broadcasting Scott Emmert said.

“On nights when Jamie’s doing the TV and Bret’s doing the radio, radio color person (will) have a stronger presence as well during pregame and intermission.”

Baker took some time away from the microphone last season to deal with “personal health issues,” but is “fully committed to being a full-time broadcaster again this year,” according to Emmert.

Media Morsels: Sharks make broadcast adjustments, Donte Whitner shines on the new 49ers pre- and postgame panel Media Morsels: Sharks make broadcast adjustments, Donte...

Athletic, behind paywall.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I personally prefer Hedican by a slim margin but I care more about Baker's health than I do about which color commentator we have in between the benches.

Baker is much better and it's not even close. Hedican just doesn't have the knowledge and is very repetitive in what he says. He's also producing headscratchers on a regular basis. Baker is one of the better color guys leaguewide while Hedican is one of the worst. Glad Jamie is gonna be back and doing well.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Baker is much better and it's not even close. Hedican just doesn't have the knowledge and is very repetitive in what he says. He's also producing headscratchers on a regular basis. Baker is one of the better color guys leaguewide while Hedican is one of the worst. Glad Jamie is gonna be back and doing well.
Why am I not surprised you are the one with this take

Reactions: Phu

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
I don't usually find myself on the side of Hinterland, but I'm happy to see Jamie coming back. Hedican is probably the better announcer, but Baker cracks me up and he has a weird chemistry with Randy. I'm probably in the minority, but sometimes Jamie is so bad I love it haha

Reactions: Phu and slocal

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Why am I not surprised you are the one with this take

Well, maybe I'm being unfair since it was his 1st season on TV (I think?) but he's very repetitive indeed. Every second game he says that "communication is free"...which of course is pure nonsense. He's also not making a lot of sense otherwise and mostly says what everybody can see. He also doesn't know the players and in a game against the Cats even admitted to not knowing Denis Malgin. It's part of his job to know players across the league...not just the ones playing for the Sharks.

Baker is much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad