Jamie Baker to take a step back from broadcasting for a while

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Drew is better than both...I wish we could get him back. Also, all Jamie does is kiss the Sharks' ass all game even when guys are playing like s***. Hedican, at least initially, had the balls to call them out like Drew did back in the day. I feel like Brett was pressured to take it down a few notches as time went on, but at least he's not a cheerleader like Jamie is. The whole "we" thing that Jamie does bothers me too.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Bret didn't do a bad job last season, but I also missed the banter, and Jamie and Randy were starting to really form that chemistry before Jamie had to take his leave. I'm glad he's going to be back. It's amazing that a few years ago I was sad that Drew left, but given time, I think Jamie has filled the role nicely and they were finally starting to find their groove. The Three Man Booth should be interesting this year, and it's something I welcome. They need to not make the telecasts seem so boring.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Drew is better than both...I wish we could get him back. Also, all Jamie does is kiss the Sharks' ass all game even when guys are playing like s***. Hedican, at least initially, had the balls to call them out like Drew did back in the day. I feel like Brett was pressured to take it down a few notches as time went on, but at least he's not a cheerleader like Jamie is. The whole "we" thing that Jamie does bothers me too.

Well, you got a point here...Hedican may be less of a homer. But his content is still very limited...probably because he just doesn't have the knowledge needed for this job. Baker is more competent and usually does provide some actual insight while Hedican just talks about what everybody can see as well as to tell his senseless stories over and over again.

I don't think that the "we" is appropriate but on the other side, I don't mind homers. They can be really funny like for example Mickey Redmond or Jack Edwards.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Well, you got a point here...Hedican may be less of a homer. But his content is still very limited...probably because he just doesn't have the knowledge needed for this job. Baker is more competent and usually does provide some actual insight while Hedican just talks about what everybody can see as well as to tell his senseless stories over and over again.

I don't think that the "we" is appropriate but on the other side, I don't mind homers. They can be really funny like for example Mickey Redmond or Jack Edwards.

Fair enough, but I think Hedican will grow as a broadcaster with time. The potential is there imo whereas Baker seems to be tapped out as a homer and yes-man. Also, I can't stand Jack Edwards - he's the worst...

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Fair enough, but I think Hedican will grow as a broadcaster with time. The potential is there imo whereas Baker seems to be tapped out as a homer and yes-man. Also, I can't stand Jack Edwards - he's the worst...

If there is one thing I've learned from these boards in the time I've been here is that Jack Edwards is a very devisive figure. You either love him or hate him and there is no in between. I think I want my announcers to be entertaining. I'm spending 2 hours with them watching a sport I love, and I would feel like they should make that sport as entertaining as possible. It's that reason why I like Edwards. Yes he's a homer and he's "out there", but I know what I'm getting from him and I know either once or twice or even multiple occasions I will either laugh at what he says or be flabbergasted about what he says.

I feel the same way about Mike Emrick. He's a national broadcaster, but he brings a passion to the game that always makes it entertaining and exciting. He could be annoying at times, but you know what you're getting when you listen to Doc.

With Bret, he's knowledgable about the game, but he's not entertaining. I miss the banter, I miss the fun, and Bret is capable but not nearly as fun as Drew or Jamie are.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
If there is one thing I've learned from these boards in the time I've been here is that Jack Edwards is a very devisive figure. You either love him or hate him and there is no in between. I think I want my announcers to be entertaining. I'm spending 2 hours with them watching a sport I love, and I would feel like they should make that sport as entertaining as possible. It's that reason why I like Edwards. Yes he's a homer and he's "out there", but I know what I'm getting from him and I know either once or twice or even multiple occasions I will either laugh at what he says or be flabbergasted about what he says.

I feel the same way about Mike Emrick. He's a national broadcaster, but he brings a passion to the game that always makes it entertaining and exciting. He could be annoying at times, but you know what you're getting when you listen to Doc.

With Bret, he's knowledgable about the game, but he's not entertaining. I miss the banter, I miss the fun, and Bret is capable but not nearly as fun as Drew or Jamie are.

I like Doc, and I agree that Bret isn't as entertaining. I also hate Jack Edwards because of this:

I understand being a homer, but saying "I don't get blowing it dead if the guy is conscious" is f***ing ridiculous.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I like Doc, and I agree that Bret isn't as entertaining. I also hate Jack Edwards because of this:

I understand being a homer, but saying "I don't get blowing it dead if the guy is conscious" is f***ing ridiculous.

Yeah, that was iffy. But there was also the whole thing about comparing hockey to the american revolution and I think I thought about that for a week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->