James Van Riemsdyk

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
It's really hard to decide if we should be keeping JVR or not..

He is young enough to stick around and maybe he can become a 70 point forward one day. He really showed up the Boston series.

Yup, I'm on the exact same page as you. He's shown he can be dominant at times, but he has yet to show any form of consistency.

But in all fairness, if he did play at this level consistently there would be absolutely no reason to move him.

Id listen to offers; but Id want at least a top powerforward prospect, mid 1st, B level spect to consider Moving him.

Something like N.Ritchie + '15 Ducks 1st + Etem, which would be an overpayment for the Lazy JVR we've seen most this season, yet an underpayment if JVR Plays to his full potential.

The fact that he's signed to that sweetheart deal makes me more willing to deal him, why keep him around on a nice deal if we are just going to rebuild during that time.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Been a down year for JVR but it's kind of a positive that a 'down year' for him is 55 points. In reality he only has three goals and three assists less than last year. That's with barely any points for the last month or so.

I wonder where he'd be sitting right now if not for that huge cold stretch. Dude is certainly a keeper for next season.

JayDog17

Dec 23, 2014
He plays much better away from Kessel. I really like how he plays when he is with Holland. Get him away from the 10 million dollar cancer, and he will light it up.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
He plays much better away from Kessel. I really like how he plays when he is with Holland. Get him away from the 10 million dollar cancer, and he will light it up.

Agreed. To wit, JVR seems far more consistent in his attitude as being able to conduct himself like a professional, like a player that actually wants to play for Toronto. Comes across in interviews, on-ice demeanour, and in breaking up "fights" Kessel engages in at practices.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I'd be willing to deal jvr for a pretty good deal
I mean even though his Def is avg at best and doesn't park in front of the net as often that can be worked out he can be a good player and he is cheap so unless there is a good deal coming back no need to move jvr whereas the rest of the core should be moved

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
I don't like his game this year (he's been better recently). But there is better targets for change in the top 6 before I'd consider moving JVR (Kessel, Bozak, Lupul).

All have been here longer, make more and are older.

That said if the Leafs got offered a top ten pick or a really good package, you'd have to consider it.

Ideally I'd like to see him and Kadri be the top line and 'go-to guys' next year and see how the team responds.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Been a down year for JVR but it's kind of a positive that a 'down year' for him is 55 points. In reality he only has three goals and three assists less than last year. That's with barely any points for the last month or so.

I wonder where he'd be sitting right now if not for that huge cold stretch. Dude is certainly a keeper for next season.
55 points does seem respectable on paper for JVR. But keep in mind that a large chunk of those points were obtained on the powerplay. JVR only has 28 points 5v5. The rest is either from the powerplay or 4v4 or whatever. JVR and Kessel average an anemic 1.5 pts/60 mins on the 5v5. Among the top 90 NHL forwards in 5v5 TOI (first liners), Kessel ranks 67th/90 in 5v5 pts/60 mins and JVR ranks 68th/90. In order to be a mid-tier (ranking 45th/90) first-liner, you need to have 1.78 pts/60 mins 5v5.

Last season, JVR averaged 1.91 pts/60 mins 5v5 (40 points 5v5!). His powerplay production this season was better I think. But his 5v5 production is way down.

Most of the game is played 5v5. If the JVR-Bozak-Kessel line isn't scoring, they're in trouble. Because they get scored on plenty.

JVR is a talented player. He needs different linemates though.

Last edited:

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Jvr is talented but he's a low end 1st line player at times a high end 2nd line player, not to say it's bad but you could do better
So if there's a good package toronto should really consider it

RayNibbs

Mar 26, 2015
Toronto, ON
I really feel as if JVR can be a great player, but on a team with great support around him, that he is externally motivated by. Unfortunately, this won't be the case for a while considering our current state. Therefore I would consider moving him, but only for an overpayment, as his contract is an absolute steal for his offensive ability. Otherwise I would rather keep him and attempt to have a future coach, not horacheck, mould him into an all around player.

This may not happen, but I think future prospects can learn from his skillset. For example, a guy like strome with a large frame and good puck skills could benefit from seeing how JVR works in tight with a similarly large frame. Obviously a coach would have to make sure he did not pick up JVR's defensive tendencies though. Just a thought.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
In other words, trading JVR must be considered. I wouldn't even consider mind moving him in a package for a centre.

Yeah consider for sure, he's not a point racking machine
Nor is he good defensively, not great or even good on D
Average at best, but it would be better to move Kessel and dion first, both whom are older but could get a similar top 15 or so pick
Or like you said trade for a centre, I always thought having ryan strome And dylan strome would be cool if they could play on the same line

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00