James Van Riemsdyk

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I love JVR, and before this season, I would call him untouchable. Now, I would listen to offers. For the right trade, I would move him. The kid still could blow up and be a huge success.

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013
I love JVR, and before this season, I would call him untouchable. Now, I would listen to offers. For the right trade, I would move him. The kid still could blow up and be a huge success.

Agreed. I hope they try to move him for a young C/D with top-end potential. Someone who hasn't broken out yet but could very well be great.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
i know phil gets alot of hate but man has jvr mailed it in this season.

As of now, he has 3 goals in his last 24 games!!!, not to mention sporting a sexy -27 +/-. I expected more from jvr, really did. He's a lazy dumb hockey player right now and almost as big of a floater than bozak. Honestly they should name the 1st line the line of floaters.

conspiracy theory

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Everytime I watch JVR now I can't help but notice he looks to have lost a step over the past few months. His skating isn't nearly as explosI've as it was at the beginning of the season/last season. I wonder if he's battling injuries, or if he's simply been spending too much time at Mcdonalds with Phil.

mikebel111*

I like him with Holland last 2-3 games

Another player who does well away from TB?

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
I like him with Holland last 2-3 games

Another player who does well away from TB?

Another player who does well when he's surrounded by PK units. If anyone else other than Bozak would actually bother trying to recover the puck for the top line, they wouldn't be in the current predicament. Holland has definitely surpassed Kadri, though for what he brings to his unit. Even Panik had an extra jump in his strides, and he's been one of our most consistent players.

Much like Kadri, JVR needs to find the motivation to keep himself engaged on a more consistent basis in order for them to be effective players. If JVR is not parked a foot outside of the crease, he's next to useless.

mikebel111*

Another player who does well when he's surrounded by PK units. If anyone else other than Bozak would actually bother trying to recover the puck for the top line, they wouldn't be in the current predicament. Holland has definitely surpassed Kadri, though for what he brings to his unit. Even Panik had an extra jump in his strides, and he's been one of our most consistent players.

Much like Kadri, JVR needs to find the motivation to keep himself engaged on a more consistent basis in order for them to be effective players. If JVR is not parked a foot outside of the crease, he's next to useless.

Holland has surpassed Kadri:laugh:
Thats a good one
I will say Holland has surpassed TB. At least Kadri and Holland dont give me heart attacks in own zone
JVR is doing well. Just goes to show you how much his game suffers when with a mediocre C in TB

Though I expect to see him back with top line for tanking purposes

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
It astonishes me how #21 flies under the radar as far as the first line is concerned.If he doesn't score a goal I can't even tell he is on the ice.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

The best unit kadri centered was him lupul and Frattin a couple years back. They worked really well together. The way things are this year though,why even bother trying to find successful units.

I'm fine with them all struggling the rest of the season. I wouldn't count out Frattin next season because he is playing good again with the Marlies.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011

Very true, the type of player JVR is very important but JVR only went to the front of the opposition's net before because RC prodded him, we don't have RC any more. The rest of JVR's game is not 1st line worthy. I think JVR should be traded while he's still valuable because right now he isn't to TO, he's definitely not a self motivator.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
JVR is playing himself off of the "long term keeper" list for sure. Definitely listen to offers on him.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I would be looking at trading JVR regardless of his performance. He's capable but it doesn't make sense to keep him on a team that is rebuilding.

Agree. I'm also confused why you often see him mentioned as someone we should keep due to the contract. That contract only has value for us as something that increases his trade value, in a rebuild it means nothing to us and afterwards he'll need a new one.

Durkin67

JVR is playing himself off of the "long term keeper" list for sure. Definitely listen to offers on him.

He's one guy I'd want to see bounce back, once the core gads been gutted and replaced. I think he has more to give. Not sold, but Id wait on this one.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Agree. I'm also confused why you often see him mentioned as someone we should keep due to the contract. That contract only has value for us as something that increases his trade value, in a rebuild it means nothing to us and afterwards he'll need a new one.
It's more of a consideration. If we're able to make big trades and somehow win the McDavid lottery, I'd probably think of keeping JVR.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Yeah mail him away too, soon can't be soon enough though.

Almost all of our players are losers for life they really are packing it all in. See what happens. They not cool, not cool at all I mean look at them. Look at them fools.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I can't recall witnessing so many individual players appear to be mailing it in this early in any season in the 30 years I've been a fan of the team. I remember believing that Doug Gilmour had stopped playing as hard as he could the year he was traded to New Jersey but looking back he was still producing points as his time as the Leafs' leader was coming to an end. The supposed "Musoka" players at the end of the JFJ era were certainly playing hard during their fruitless pushes to qualify for the playoffs. The 1985 last place team was just very, very young and were trying to compete despite being a disorganized group of players.

The lack of personal pride and compete in this current team's front line group is disturbing. JVR has those great hands that he can use in tight on the crease. He still has to have many teams' interests but it has to be waning. Same applies to the other notable forwards on the Leafs. Other organizations must look at these guys and wonder how they can show so little personal pride. Of the players on long term apparently on the block to be moved, only Phaneuf really comes across as caring about his performance.

Last edited:

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I'm going to bump this. JVR has been dominant at times lately.

Ever since Horachek told the team to treat the final 7 games as a playoff series JVR has put up 3G, 3A, for a total of 6 points in 5 games.

Imagine if he was on the Flames? :laugh:

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
It's really hard to decide if we should be keeping JVR or not..

He is young enough to stick around and maybe he can become a 70 point forward one day. He really showed up the Boston series.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
It's really hard to decide if we should be keeping JVR or not..

He is young enough to stick around and maybe he can become a 70 point forward one day. He really showed up the Boston series.
Doesn't need to be a 70 point player. I'm more than fine with him being a 30-30 guy. Something he's shown he's capable of. He's got 27 this year in what everyone considered a down year for him. I think he can be a regular 30+ goal contributer, and that's all I need from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad