James Van Riemsdyk

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I'm having a hard time caring about anything that happens in the next month. JVR mails it in? Kadri late for a meeting? Bah well.

I'm sure it matters, but really I don't care at this point.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
JVR is a streaky scorer, he's not consistent at all. He is what he is.

Another teams CAST OFF! That's what he is!

The Flyers were willing to take a chance on Schenn by dumping JvR to us. That says it all to me.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
I'm having a hard time caring about anything that happens in the next month. JVR mails it in? Kadri late for a meeting? Bah well.

Pretty much. Is it June yet?

DPyro

Jun 28, 2010
Who cares? I want the whole team to mail it in and never win another hockey game this season.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Meh. I chalk it up to the surroundings and the coaching change. This team was a tremendous offensive power with Carlyle but that didn't transfer over.

Get him and Kessel a #1 centre and a new coach who actually knows what he's doing and they'll be back to doing what they did before, if not way better.

If we do trade Jivver, I sure as hell hope we get a big piece or two for our future core.

JVR
Phaneuf

For

Pulkkinen
Nyquist
Weiss

I can dream, can't I? :shakehead

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
The problem with JVR floating out there now and being dislodged from the front of the net by a stiff breeze is that it has an effect of the play of Kessel (who still seems to be trying out there IMO). Bozak also seems to have developed increasingly hardened hands down the stretch.

Since many here have been pushing for a Kessel trade, wouldnt it be in all of our best interests if his linemates continue to play hard? I know it goes against the whole tanking thing but there seems to be a contradiction here....

I just hope those who applaud the indifference of his linemates don't do the hypocritical thing and start calling for Kessel to be traded in the next breath.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

This for me.

Only game I watched last week was the Panther win, can't remember the last time that happened.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
I think Randy and Management were coddling certain players and now that the team has decided to stop doing that, these players are getting pouty and unproductive. They need to be loved and cuddled and allowed to do what they want...or just ship them the heck out! This is not a daycare.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Ship out Kessel and Bozak in the summer.

Roll with this next year imo

JVR - Kadri - Panik
Lupul - Holland - Brown/Leivo/Kozun
Komarov - UFA centre - Kozun/Brown/Leivo/Kozun
Devane? - Carick - who cares

J1S

May 12, 2014
This. I would love to do something like JVR (50% retained) and try to get a massive haul for him. A playoff team that is either cheap/against the cap would pay a ton to get JVR for 2 million a season for 3 years; teams like Anaheim and Pittsburgh come to mind.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Retain 50% of his already unbelievable contract.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Haha haha :facepalm:

As is, due to his contract I believe he is our most valuable trade asset. Retaining salary is NOT needed

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
The team needs to keep a certain amount of players and the team needs to at least hit the cap floor.

Kessel is clearly the poison and the biggest problem on the team.

If we can find a team dumb enough to take Kessel this team would automatically be better and the negative effect of having a soft lazy floater as the highest player on the team gone would be a huge step in our revitalization.

I'd rather we kept JVR. Get rid of Kessel.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad

As is, due to his contract I believe he is our most valuable trade asset. Retaining salary is NOT needed

But what is the best offer we could get for JVR at $4.25m compared to $2.125m? JVR most likely have league wide interest regardless but getting a 30/30 winger for 3 years at little above $2m...man that could make a couple of GM´s go crazy. Especially the top teams up against the cap. Will we really hurt for having $2m in dead cap space for 3 seasons? No, not at all. The only way it hurt us is that we can then retain salary on one less contract.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
2 million is 2 million.

You're assuming a scorched earth rebuild is in action. I'm still not sold on that actually being the plan but that's another conversation.

If the plan is in fact to just be completely awful for 3 years than its not the worst idea.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
He's still young on a good contract but...

He's not someone who's looking like he wants to develop his all around game with the abilities he was given. He's got great size, hands (especially for a Power Forward) and he's a menace on powerplays when he decides to go to the front of the net. But he's completely inherited Kessel's defensive ineptitude and ability to float during games where he isn't fed. Moving him out along with Kessel for prospects and picks wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
But what is the best offer we could get for JVR at $4.25m compared to $2.125m? JVR most likely have league wide interest regardless but getting a 30/30 winger for 3 years at little above $2m...man that could make a couple of GM´s go crazy. Especially the top teams up against the cap. Will we really hurt for having $2m in dead cap space for 3 seasons? No, not at all. The only way it hurt us is that we can then retain salary on one less contract.

This. we have three retentions at any given time, and need properly weigh the best use of them. What's going to get us the best return/ lowest regrets? Using it long term to push a player out the door that gets **** value anyway or short term on an already great contract to drive value through the roof?

Last edited:

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph

To be fair though, can you imagine if we did? It's not like 2 million is going to matter to us over the next 3 years. The return would be *****-inducing.

Though this is creative managing -- something I can't see Nonis doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad