Friedman: James van Riemsdyk to DET - UPDATE: Miller and Johnston: "JvR NOT going to DET"

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think this is more past stupidity catching up with them.

Overpaid guys like JVR, Hayes, and Provorov are really hard to move. There were better options on the market. I'm not surprised they were stuck this deadline.
Sundqvist was moved at $1m less salary than half of JVR. It’s not even so much about any of that though, some of us are happy this happened, because the Flyers don’t deserve to be bailed out, and just goes to show that literally every other team in the league (maybe except Vancouver, they’re making it hard, but at least they make deals) is better at this. The Flyers need to feel that. I’m definitely not offended by other teams only wanting to do things on their terms, they have no reason to do otherwise.

But even at that, it’s systemic stupidity catching up to them. It’s not about today, we’ve been yelling it for years that this is a dead franchise. Every day more and more people see it. And any time someone goes ‘wow holy shit these guys are actually f***ing stupid, it’s not exaggerations or euphemisms’

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I was going to say Gabe is alot more reliable than Eklund but then I remembered we never got Half-life 3.

:(

And we likely never will, and that might be a good thing because I remember the hype around Duke Nukem Forever, and then 17 years later it came out, and it would go on to become Duke Nukem Forever.

Reactions: Jmo89

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I’m not exactly shocked that the guy who makes 7M and skates like molasses didn’t return anything worthy of a trade.

Other than that they barely had any rentals. When your GM is Chuck and coach Torts, this team isn’t planning on rebuilding. I think they think a healthy team with Coots and Atkinson can compete for a playoff spot next year.

Chuck is not a great GM, but I wasn’t expecting them to do much this TDL.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Issue probably being if Philly retains 50 percent still a 3.5 cap hit so you'd need a third team to retain but jvr ain't what he used to be
I have watched JVR play all season. He is a very good hockey player. He makes smart plays all over the ice. He plays better in the D zone than he is given credit for. He is a very good hockey player who is not reliant on speed. His problem is that he is a scorer who is reliant on playmakers and he plays on a team that is severely lacking them, a team that is totally bereft of offensive talent beside him and TK. His numbers are down. He is better than a lot of guys who were moved during this TDL season and would have been a major help to a lot of playoff teams.
the reason he didn’t get traded? Chuck Fletcher is an inept, incompetent, terrible GM.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Chuck is not a great GM,

Chuck is not even a lousy GM. He's not that good.

I have watched JVR play all season. He is a very good hockey player. He makes smart plays all over the ice. He plays better in the D zone than he is given credit for. He is a very good hockey player who is not reliant on speed. His problem is that he is a scorer who is reliant on playmakers and he plays on a team that is severely lacking them, a team that is totally bereft of offensive talent beside him and TK. His numbers are down. He is better than a lot of guys who were moved during this TDL season and would have been a major help to a lot of playoff teams.
the reason he didn’t get traded? Chuck Fletcher is an inept, incompetent, terrible GM.

Ok...I'll agree with your last sentence.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I guess at 3.5 JVR wasn’t worth a shot ?
Surprised someone didn’t throw a 4th like Klingberg
Detroit never made sense

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
You understand that fans don't make moves for NHL teams right? LOL
Yes I know, but you know most intelligent fans don't boast about their team or cut down another team when the team they cheer for hasn't done shit in 20 years! But carry on if it makes you feel better about yourself!

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
He wasn’t high on my list of trade targets as a Jets fan, but he seemingly would have meshed well with the playmakers we have.

He would just have to a strong net front presence to create havoc and second chance opportunities. Add him to Niederreiter and Namestnikov and that would have really solidified the depth scoring on a team in dire need of some.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Yes I know, but you know most intelligent fans don't boast about their team or cut down another team when the team they cheer for hasn't done shit in 20 years! But carry on if it makes you feel better about yourself!
Philly deserves all the shit they are getting right now. Their management is one of the worst in the NHL. Feel bad for their fans.

Reactions: Pantokrator

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Screenshot_20230304-115558_Chrome.jpg

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
And we likely never will, and that might be a good thing because I remember the hype around Duke Nukem Forever, and then 17 years later it came out, and it would go on to become Duke Nukem Forever.
Half life 2 took forever for valve to actually make it and it was good

Edit wow it was only like 6 or seven years but back then games didn't take that long to make 2 years was a long time for developers to not release

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Philly deserves all the shit they are getting right now. Their management is one of the worst in the NHL. Feel bad for their fans.
Yes the Flyers ownership, Comcast deserves what they're getting right now for hiring the idiot Fletcher as the GM, he's nothing like his father when it comes to being a GM. If you ask the majority of Flyers fans they know this team needs a total rebuild but Fletcher isn't smart enough to do that and Comcast only cares about the bottom line. So the only way a rebuild will happen is if season ticket holders don't renew seats and the Flyers get fans of only 5,000 coming to the games for the next while then Comcast might wake up. I'm old enough to have seen the Flyers two championship seasons but I'll be surprise if I ever see another one in my lifetime.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Half life 2 took forever for valve to actually make it and it was good

Edit wow it was only like 6 or seven years but back then games didn't take that long to make 2 years was a long time for developers to not release

I remember those days too, the first 3 uncharted games, 3 of my favorite games ever came out in 2007, 2009, 2011.

Reactions: Wats

Ovi895

Feb 24, 2023
LMAO Flyers

JVR was having a pretty good season too, and every team wants a big slow winger to park his ass in front of the net for the playoffs. @50% he should have returned a 3rd easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad