Friedman: James van Riemsdyk to DET - UPDATE: Miller and Johnston: "JvR NOT going to DET"

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Do you guys understand now with the Flyers? The outright unabated malpractice the Flyers are running.

What are they doing? They don't know, either.
I knew Fletcher was bad before, from the trades and the signings and the misunderstanding of where his team actually was. But yeah, this is negligence.

There was a feeding frenzy forwards and wingers in the east, and many of the teams who didnt cash in surely would've liked to add JvR for something. If Nino got a second, then a half retained JvR should've returned a 3rd or a 4th for next year. Assuming the player himself was willing to go.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I knew Fletcher was bad before, from the trades and the signings and the misunderstanding of where his team actually was. But yeah, this is negligence.

There was a feeding frenzy forwards and wingers in the east, and many of the teams who didnt cash in surely would've liked to add JvR for something. If Nino got a second, then a half retained JvR should've returned a 3rd or a 4th for next year. Assuming the player himself was willing to go.
JVR did not have trade protection.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Brophy

Oct 18, 2007
Redondo Beach
Flyers are a dumpster fire. I can't imagine being a player that is excited to go to this team. Leadership is garbage, no culture, no brand, Torts is kooky, players look flat and bored.

Can't wait to for this current front office and management to get cleaned out.

Reactions: Amorgus

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Flyers are a dumpster fire. I can't imagine being a player that is excited to go to this team. Leadership is garbage, no culture, no brand, Torts is kooky, players look flat and bored.

Can't wait to for this current front office and management to get cleaned out.

You will be waiting a long time. They will never get rid of Supreme Leader Bob Clarke and Vice Supreme Leader Holmgren.

Reactions: Amorgus

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
JVR did not have trade protection.
I mean beyond that, like personally. I know he is from NJ, so if somehow he came to his GM teary eyed and said "Please don't trade me, I don't want to uproot my life or be away from my family even if its just for a couple of months."

Except, that isnt even the case because that deal with Detroit was pretty much there. But I'm saying that's the only circumstance under which I could think a GM wouldn't move the asset when there is clearly a market.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I mean beyond that, like personally. I know he is from NJ, so if somehow he came to his GM teary eyed and said "Please don't trade me, I don't want to uproot my life or be away from my family even if its just for a couple of months."

Except, that isnt even the case because that deal with Detroit was pretty much there. But I'm saying that's the only circumstance under which I could think a GM wouldn't move the asset when there is clearly a market.
He actually lives in Minnesota. So he's actually uprooted to be here. He wanted to be moved, and Chuck was trying to move him.

He just admitted that he did Rob Blake a favor taking Lemieux, so I mean, I keep saying it, everyone has him the balls and he's thanking them for it. JVR was not a necessity to anyone, so I definitely get that any deal is on someone else's terms.

Last edited:

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
BC they couldn't get a 2nd. Torts shits on the team all year then they try to sell them as prize assets. What a joke organization.
This comment is funny coming from a Leafs fan, the last time I checked the Leafs haven't made it out of the first round of the playoffs since 2004 when the joke organization-the Flyers took them out in 6 games of the second round. Maybe before you call another organization a joke, make sure your team has done something in the last 20 years. Flyers fans know Fletcher is an idiot and sucks as a GM, at least his dad had some brains but they didn't fall to him.

Reactions: bert

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Half-Life-3.gif
We finally got a picture of Eklund.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
This comment is funny coming from a Leafs fan, the last time I checked the Leafs haven't made it out of the first round of the playoffs since 2004 when the joke organization-the Flyers took them out in 6 games of the second round. Maybe before you call another organization a joke, make sure your team has done something in the last 20 years. Flyers fans know Fletcher is an idiot and sucks as a GM, at least his dad had some brains but they didn't fall to him.
You understand that fans don't make moves for NHL teams right? LOL

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I can see it now, the Flyers win the Bedard lottery and Fletch steps up to the mike "And with the first pick in the 2023 NHL Draft, the Flyers select...." (drops card, picks it up and says "from the Brandon Wheat Kings of the WHL, Nate Danielson." Stunned silence on the stage, at all of the team tables, in the stands, until finally Nate Danielson is heard saying "wait, what? He picked me?" Upon further reflection, Danielson who is a smart player (and is good, but no where near Bedard good) says "No thanks, I am not going to a team that is that incompetently run!"

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm wondering if perhaps it was a situation like the Kyle Quincey trade in 2012.

Avs were shopping Quincey. Holland was interested, but not for whatever roster player or prospect the Avs wanted in return. They also didn't want draft picks, which Holland was usually more than willing to give away. Yzerman knew he could get Quincey for a roster player the Avs wanted, and also knew Holland was interested in Quincey. Yzerman was also definitely interested in the draft pick Holland was happy to give away. SY made both deals and then turned that draft pick into Vasilevskiy.

My guess is perhaps some team was interested in JVR, but couldn't get a deal done with the Flyers for some reason (needed to shed salary? clear multiple contracts?) and Yzerman was working on a deal with that team where he'd go fetch JVR for them.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Wonder if the trade hinged on moving Perron, but his MNTC came into play.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Do you guys understand now with the Flyers? The outright unabated malpractice the Flyers are running.

What are they doing? They don't know, either.

I think this is more past stupidity catching up with them.

Overpaid guys like JVR, Hayes, and Provorov are really hard to move. There were better options on the market. I'm not surprised they were stuck this deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad