James Reimer

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Yakupov and Eberle would be redundant on this roster. We would need to find a third team in this hypothetical scenario.

Realistically... this.

Toronto does not have any need for additional forwards. When healthy, they've got one of the better and definitely deepest top 9s in the league (JvR-Bozak-Kessel, Kulemin-Kadri-Lupul, Raymond-Bolland-Clarkson).

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Well this goalie duel just got a little more interesting. I thought Bernier was going to run away with it, but you can’t argue with the fact Reimer wins games and that’s what this is all about.

jomas

Aug 23, 2008
snows too much
Well this goalie duel just got a little more interesting. I thought Bernier was going to run away with it, but you can’t argue with the fact Reimer wins games and that’s what this is all about.

I generally feel that the race has always been tight.
Edmonton & possibly Carolina aside, both goalies have been the main reason we've been winning at all.
I don't like asking about who will win the number 1 spot, I'm just hoping both can keep their pace all season and into the post-season if we can make it.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
udTdyr9.png

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Reimer against edmonton! Bernier was average against them anyway last time.

Bernier against calgary

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The Leafs win with Reimer...

Bernier was hot for a short stint,but Reimer is quietly outplaying him at 3w no losses. We can now start to discuss the trade market for Bernier who is slowly coming undone with soft goals at bad times causing losses. He is a bit overpaid for having proven so little. What is his record 5 and 4...ouch.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The interesting thing in comparing the two.... their approaches to the game are so wildly different, yet the team for the most part seems to be better adapting to James Reimer's game.

In Bernier, you've got a great technical goalie, but who's undersized by today's standards.

In Reimer, you've got a big goalie with great positioning, and who's side to side movement has really improved, but who has absolutely terrible rebound control and no puckhandling ability. It tends to promote us getting hemmed in our own end.

Based on those two descriptions alone, one would think that Bernier is the better choice... but I guess when you consider our ability to score off the rush (and relatively weak cycle game), it's almost better that we get ourselves hemmed in then try to spring an odd man rush, instead of the other team seeing Bernier handle the puck, back off the forecheck, and force us to dump & chase.

Kadri43*

Oct 1, 2010
noneofyourbusiness
The interesting thing in comparing the two.... their approaches to the game are so wildly different, yet the team for the most part seems to be better adapting to James Reimer's game.

In Bernier, you've got a great technical goalie, but who's undersized by today's standards.

In Reimer, you've got a big goalie with great positioning, and who's side to side movement has really improved, but who has absolutely terrible rebound control and no puckhandling ability. It tends to promote us getting hemmed in our own end.

Based on those two descriptions alone, one would think that Bernier is the better choice... but I guess when you consider our ability to score off the rush (and relatively weak cycle game), it's almost better that we get ourselves hemmed in then try to spring an odd man rush, instead of the other team seeing Bernier handle the puck, back off the forecheck, and force us to dump & chase.

That is definitely interesting!

JAMmer124

Independent Living
Aug 13, 2010
Welland, Ontario

Definitely a little strange, to say the least.

Sorta like when Boston had Rask and Thomas. Rask was a far superior technical goalie, but Thomas just found ways to win games. Obviously Reimer is a lot better technically than Thomas is, I mean who isn't, but it still sort of applies.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Bernier was hot for a short stint,but Reimer is quietly outplaying him at 3w no losses. We can now start to discuss the trade market for Bernier who is slowly coming undone with soft goals at bad times causing losses. He is a bit overpaid for having proven so little. What is his record 5 and 4...ouch.

Come on, to be fair, Reimer is lucky to have no losses. Bernier bailed him out after he **** the bed. I like Reimer but let's not just look at records here and Reimer does the soft goal thing too

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Does anyone still believe that whole "bernie just makes the team feel calmer and more relaxed" line?

Not to mention that bernie seems to give up at least as many iffy rebounds. And his glove still isn't good enough to catch good topshelf snipes.

SteveV*

Does anyone still believe that whole "bernie just makes the team feel calmer and more relaxed" line?

Does anyone still believe we aren't better with BOTH of these guys? The internal competition is great for the team. Picking sides is boring.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
And has anyone noticed how after every loss, bernier talks about how the team has to play better defense?

You rarely hear reims blaming anyone but himself, and doing anything other than complimenting his teammates.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Does anyone still believe we aren't better with BOTH of these guys? The internal competition is great for the team. Picking sides is boring.

Sounds nice and all, but the team's gonna have to pick a side at some point, and that decision will be a critical one.

SteveV*

Sounds nice and all, but the team's gonna have to pick a side at some point, and that decision will be a critical one.

Why? Isn't this working? Maybe someone takes the ball, but if not, I'm fine with this situation because I think both goalies are pushing teach other to the betterment of the team.

Tyler Biggs*

Good to see Reimer back in form.

Why do people think we should trade Reimer? loooool....We wait 4 years to fix the goalie problem and now we can't wait to give our best goalies away? Bernier performs best after rests and Reimer has an injury history.

We'll be golden keeping both, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana

Well you'll have to hold your breath because it ain't happening anytime soon.

Since you like to pick sides so much, I'm willing to bet that a poll result will suggest Bernier over Reimer in a series deciding Game #7 vs. Boston :sarcasm:

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
zeke man you gotta drop the Team Reimer crap. I get that you don't want people to sell Reimer short and forget about him/undermine his abilities, as do I (it bugged the **** out of me when people said 'lolz Bernier > Reimer forever' after his hot start), but really you should just be happy and enjoy that the team has two great goalies instead of constantly trying to pump Reimer's tires while deflating Bernier's.

The way you make it sound it's like Bernier sucks, when in reality he has a .930 sv% through 9 games and has only had 2 games where his sv% was below .920.

Sure in the future we might have to make a decision, but just enjoy the ride for now and let the best goalie win. Simple as that. At the end of the day, they're the one part of our team that has been stellar from the beginning and are consistently winning us games.

wulfio*

um convenient you forget the game Reimer got yanked and we came back and won with Bernier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad