James Reimer

Tyler Biggs*

Reimer: best save percentage in Leaf history, Leafs' MVP last year, yeah he's real bad. Leafs' defensive hang him out to dry, and 15 seconds later, he's no good.

I've seen a lot of recent Reimer bashing because Bernier is hot right now, we've all seen what Reimer can do so let's not be so quick to throw the guy who got us to the playoffs and stole a couple games once we got there under the bus.

Reimer, only 25 has tons of potential to go. Even if his style evolves to a not so pretty Timmy Thomas MVP style, who's anyone to complain? Thomas perfected his unorthodox style when he got to 37 years old or so. I'd say Reimer has lots of time to perfect his style. Not worried about him at all.

JacobimMugatu

HF Strength Thread
Jul 8, 2009
f=253
www.facebook.com
Nobody's been bashing Reimer really
IMO we've all just been seeing that the hype about Bernier is true, and that he's a better goalie than Reimer.
You can question the sample size, but it's not about his stats but how he looks in net.

Kessely Snipes

Great White North
Oct 16, 2011
Regina, SK
We are in game 4 of the season. A lot can happen, but I find it hard to believe anyone who has watched these games to say Bernier hasn't been sharper.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Goal goes in from tight angle via Spezza, Reimer sucks. Goal goes in on Bernier from same tight angle via Sarich, fluke.

Milan90

Jul 8, 2009
Etobicoke, Ontario
For the love of **** can you people just take your agendas and put them aside and go back to cheering for the Leafs.

Bernier comes in, pitches a shutout and leads us to a comeback win and people are *****ing.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
lol it's funny

i saw someone say "**** reimer"
really? a month and you say that?

not sure if serious or not a leaf fan

InShannyWeTrust

Bring on the trades!
Aug 6, 2009
Reimer: best save percentage in Leaf history, Leafs' MVP last year, yeah he's real bad. Leafs' defensive hang him out to dry, and 15 seconds later, he's no good.

I've seen a lot of recent Reimer bashing because Bernier is hot right now, we've all seen what Reimer can do so let's not be so quick to throw the guy who got us to the playoffs and stole a couple games once we got there under the bus.

Reimer, only 25 has tons of potential to go. Even if his style evolves to a not so pretty Timmy Thomas MVP style, who's anyone to complain? Thomas perfected his unorthodox style when he got to 37 years old or so. I'd say Reimer has lots of time to perfect his style. Not worried about him at all.

cry me a river this is a pro league not rec league with friends... bernier is clearly a class above reimer.. reimer will play 25-30 games but thats it

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
The love fest should really stop. It's what's best for the team!!! Nobody likes entitlement in regards to the lineups for the team and it should work both ways. I like Reims too but he had a bad game on Saturday. Once again rebound control was a huge issue. Plus looking lost at times (3rd goal) Bernier will have bad games too and Reimer will step in. It's not that bad of a deal. In fact, I'd say it's a very good deal.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
You guys want to talk about Riemer, ok lets cut the crap and get down to it:

Riemer is still young and he has potential (key word potential) to be a legit #1 in this league. He has skilll in the sense he's good at blocking the puck and his reflexes are decent, he also has a postive attitude.

That being said, his rebound control is cringeworthy, his glovehand non-existant and he has yet to show up when it matters most. Riemer has had two big chances to go from a mere #1 to one who is elite, the first chance was the last game of the season it was a critical one where we determined where we would play in the playoffs, a win would have us facing Montreal and a loss facing the bruins, Riemer came in and stunk up the joint by giving up 5 goals, he blew it. Then in Game 7 again a critical moment, we were leading 4-1 with mere minutes to go in the game, all he had to do was make the saves, but nope he melted under pressure and he allowed 3 quick ones to make it 4-4 and then gave up the OT goal, again he blew it, an elite goalie comes in and makes the saves needed to win.

I'm not willing to write him off yet, he's only 25 and many goalies don't reach their "peak" until 29/30. However the jury is out about Riemer being one of those elite goalies, he has yet to prove it, he has 2 big chances and blown them badly, that's not to say he can't get there but he has a lot to work to do to prove himself.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
You guys want to talk about Riemer, ok lets cut the crap and get down to it:

Riemer is still young and he has potential (key word potential) to be a legit #1 in this league. He has skilll in the sense he's good at blocking the puck and his reflexes are decent, he also has a postive attitude.

That being said, his rebound control is cringeworthy, his glovehand non-existant and he has yet to show up when it matters most. Riemer has had two big chances to go from a mere #1 to one who is elite, the first chance was the last game of the season it was a critical one where we determined where we would play in the playoffs, a win would have us facing Montreal and a loss facing the bruins, Riemer came in and stunk up the joint by giving up 5 goals, he blew it. Then in Game 7 again a critical moment, we were leading 4-1 with mere minutes to go in the game, all he had to do was make the saves, but nope he melted under pressure and he allowed 3 quick ones to make it 4-4 and then gave up the OT goal, again he blew it, an elite goalie comes in and makes the saves needed to win.

I'm not willing to write him off yet, he's only 25 and many goalies don't reach their "peak" until 29/30. However the jury is out about Riemer being one of those elite goalies, he has yet to prove it, he has 2 big chances and blown them badly, that's not to say he can't get there but he has a lot to work to do to prove himself.

wait...wait what? First of all the Game 7 analogy is horrible because it was a team collapse. The defense stood around with their dicks in their hand while Chara screened Reimer on the game tying goal. Any goalie would have an issue when its CHARA standing 6 inches away from your face. Carlyle had the team playing defense for 10 minutes when they clearly can't play defense (even this year).

Also, I was thinking of making a "GOALIE appreciation thread". Maybe this one should be it, where we praise both of our netminders.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
wait...wait what? First of all the Game 7 analogy is horrible because it was a team collapse. The defense stood around with their dicks in their hand while Chara screened Reimer on the game tying goal. Any goalie would have an issue when its CHARA standing 6 inches away from your face. Carlyle had the team playing defense for 10 minutes when they clearly can't play defense (even this year).

Actually it was a great anlagoy, great goalies stand on their heads when they are needed the most, Game 7 was a critical game for us. Not saying the defense in front wasn't bad, they were and all they had to do was lift the puck up and over and get an empty net goal then it becomes 5-1 and no coming back. However, Riemer was a POS too, he was shaking and sitting far too back in his net, instead he should have been calm and aggressive, do you really think if a guy like Thomas/Belfour/Cujo/Brodeur is in net that lead gets blown? I don't think so?!

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Actually it was a great anlagoy, great goalies stand on their heads when they are needed the most, Game 7 was a critical game for us. Not saying the defense in front wasn't bad, they were and all they had to do was lift the puck up and over and get an empty net goal then it becomes 5-1 and no coming back. However, Riemer was a POS too, he was shaking and sitting far too back in his net, instead he should have been calm and aggressive, do you really think if a guy like Thomas/Belfour/Cujo/Brodeur is in net that lead gets blown? I don't think so?!

I'm not saying that Reimer is completely absolved of any blame from Game 7 but I don't think the blame should pinned directly at him when it was a team collapse, and yes Reimer is part of that team that collapsed because it was everybody, not just him.

And as for the last question, maybe...maybe not. But this is where age comes in, as you've said earlier he's 25 years old, it's not like he's in his prime yet. If anything it was a learning experience and probably a valuable one for any goaltender.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
I don't get you fanatics. There is no comparison between Thomas and Reimer in terms of technique. None.

Just cause he flops when he loses track of the puck don't make him some tim Thomas.

That best save % came in 34 games btw.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you boil it all down, Reimer has shown the ability to get the job done but it's a bumpy ride. In Bernier, the Leafs are looking for someone who can deliver success in a more predictable and comfortable fashion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad