News Article: James Reimer is the Maple Leafs Masterton Nominee

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=667759

The Toronto chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association has chosen goaltender James Reimer as its nominee for the 2013 Bill Masterton Trophy, awarded for ‘perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey’.

Selected 99th overall in the 2006 draft behind 10 other goaltenders, Reimer has attained the No. 1 position with the Leafs through many challenging circumstances. He had head and neck injuries after starting 2011-12 with a record of 4-0-1 and after six wins in eight starts this season, he overcame a knee injury. Yet he approaches the end of the regular season with a .926 save percentage, among the league’s top five. Since the league started tracking the statistic in 1983-84, Reimer’s current save percentage is the highest single-season mark by an eligible Leafs goaltender.

Reimer has been a major factor in gaining Toronto’s first playoff berth since 2004. He defeated division rival Ottawa for the sixth time in as many road decisions April 20 clinching the playoff spot. On April 8, Reimer recorded his 50th win, joining only 16 other Leaf goalies in that category. He is publically supportive of teammates on one of the league’s youngest clubs, in a major media market. The native of Morweena, Man., is also the fundraising force behind Ramona’s Reach and Reimer’s Readers. This season, he donated a suite for two games to Toronto Youth Development empowering at-risk, inner-city youth, through education, sports and character development.

Recent Masterton nominees from the Leafs include Joffrey Lupul, Jonas Gustavsson and Jason Blake (the 2008 Masterton winner). Current Leaf Phil Kessel won the Masterton in 2007 with Boston.

Each NHL city’s PWHA chapter nominates a Masterton candidate and the winner is chosen from a vote of all members at the end of the season. The Masterton is part of the league’s televised awards ceremony.

For more information, contact Lance Hornby, Toronto Sun, PHWA Chapter Chairman at [email protected].

Congrats Reims! :)

mikebel111*

great nominee for james
true character number one goalie

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Way to go Reimer! And I didn't realize he was the 11th goalie picked, behind:
- Bernier 11th
- Helenius 15th (who?)
- Varlamov 23rd
- Irving 26th
- Neuvrith 34th
- Enroth 46th
- S. Mason 69th
- Zatkoff 74th (who?)
- Larsson 92nd (who?)
- Palmer 96th (who?)
- Reimer 99th :)yo:)

Only other goalies of note (not really though) who got drafted that year
- Bachman of Dallas
- Johnson with Phoenix

So...Reimer best goalie from 2006?

Last edited:

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Speculated to be a top 10 for the Vezina via Bob Mckenzie, now this? What a good show by a truly wonderful player. Stay strong and proud Leafs! :handclap:

Doddski

Apr 12, 2013
Toronto, ON
A well-deserved nomination for a guy who really shouldn't be questioned as a number one goalie at this point. It also helps that he seems like the nicest guy on the planet... :P Congrats, Reims!

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Yeah Jimmy Boy! Reimer is the friggin man, I can't imagine a better fit to deflect all the venom from the media around here. Question though, what exactly is Reimer's Readers? I'd assume it's some sort of literacy program but I can't find any info online. As someone who loves to read and watch the Leafs I feel like I should get involved somehow.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Well deserved nomination for Reimer. He's such a great guy on a personal level, it makes witnessing his professional success all the more sweeter.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
- Bernier 11th
- Helenius 15th (who?)
- Varlamov 23rd
- Irving 26th
- Neuvrith 34th
- Enroth 46th
- S. Mason 69th
- Zatkoff 74th (who?)
- Larsson 92nd (who?)
- Palmer 96th (who?)

- Bachman of Dallas
- Johnson with Phoenix

Some interesting info on that draft: there was a good feeling Toronto was going to be the team to draft him and the debate was whether or not he was going to be picked in the top 100. Vancouver was another team very much looking at him, so much so that they have tried to trade for since then (previous to him playing in the NHL). There were a few others who expressed interest but I don't remember who they were now.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Hearing Rinne's story. It's gotta be him.

I've been pepper sprayed before, it's seriously the most painful experience I've ever gone through. It felt like my eyeballs were melting from the inside out and someone was tearing off my eyelids bit by bit. Don't even get me started on the horrible pain all over my forehead and face too.

Unless you were talking about a different Rinne story, in which case I'll just show myself out....

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
- Bernier 11th
- Helenius 15th (who?)
- Varlamov 23rd
- Irving 26th
- Neuvrith 34th
- Enroth 46th
- S. Mason 69th
- Zatkoff 74th (who?)
- Larsson 92nd (who?)
- Palmer 96th (who?)

- Bachman of Dallas
- Johnson with Phoenix

Watched Zatkoff play a game in the AHL last year. I believe it was LA's affilate. Not sure oif he's still their property of not but yeah, just so you know who he is

Reimer definately gotta be considered the best Goalie of that draft class to date.

You could argue Bernier though, and I'm sure Leafs haters would

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Watched Zatkoff play a game in the AHL last year. I believe it was LA's affilate. Not sure oif he's still their property of not but yeah, just so you know who he is

Reimer definately gotta be considered the best Goalie of that draft class to date.

You could argue Bernier though, and I'm sure Leafs haters would

I think Varlamov should be in this conversation...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad