James Neal fined for diving

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Getzlaf DID NOT dive or embellish. He lost his balance. The youtube video provides an angle that shows the viewers a diving motion without showing what happened to his left arm or left skate. People seeing that are quick to jump to a conclusion.

His left skate look at it (he loses an edge). His left arm look at it. He tries to balance himself as he is losing his balance. His right skate is moving faster than the left side of his body due to the collision.

His left arm is the clear item that proves there is NO embellishment or diving. If he was trying to dive he doesn't position it like that.

Things can look worse than they are. To you and many others this must look like embellishment.

It is clearly not but it looks like it.

phaneuf.gif

People would say "Look how high his feet are in the air. That is not normal. It is clear embellishment."
Clearly a dive

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
There have to be some Red Wings on that list

There may be. Not sure. Maybe Franzen?

I started reading the list but after going through half the Bruins roster on there, I got bored and stopped. :sarcasm:

It's good to see Neal called out as a diver, even if the fine is tiny. What's almost as troubling as players increasing willingness to dive is fans increasing willingness to accept it as part of the game or explain it away (see: Getzlaf).

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
That's chump change for him. I have a friend who lives in Nashville and works as a painter who was hired by James Neal to paint his house when James first moved into town. The stuff my buddy said he has is all very nice, for example, he drives a Ferrari.

If the NHL wants their fines to be taken seriously they need start making it hurt. I just don't think "publicly shaming" them with some small fine will send the message.

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
It was bound to be someone soon, He wont be the last either. There is a lot of embellishment, on a nightly basis so someone else will be soon. Just another thing to argue about I guess, why did my guy get fined etc, and not this guy with multiple video clips.....i guess some call that fun!

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
It's not so much the fine as the public shaming. A few years ago, a player (it may have been Neal) was eligible to be suspended for diving, but was not.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Is he the most hated player in the league? Like by players you think? He's easily the worst diver.
Burrows, Cooke, Kesler are probably hated as much or more. Until this he has kept his nose clean here in Nashville, but that dive was stupid, unnecessary, and hurts the team. Next time he is legitimately fouled the refs may not call it due to his reputation. I hate diving/embellishment especially from Predators' players. Outside of course the comical GIF's we get out of them.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
It's not so much the fine as the public shaming. A few years ago, a player (it may have been Neal) was eligible to be suspended for diving, but was not.

Avery. The escalation then was supposed to be warning -> $1000 fine -> $2000 fine -> one game suspension. They issued him the $1000 fine on what was thus his second offense, but didn't bother to do anything after his next two diving penalties later that season.

Neal in the record books! ''First to be fined on a dive''

Not the first ever. Just the first this season / this crackdown.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/avery-fined-by-nhl-for-diving-1.567330

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Burrows, Cooke, Kesler are probably hated as much or more. Until this he has kept his nose clean here in Nashville, but that dive was stupid, unnecessary, and hurts the team. Next time he is legitimately fouled the refs may not call it due to his reputation. I hate diving/embellishment especially from Predators' players. Outside of course the comical GIF's we get out of them.

Cooke yes, I seriously doubt Burrows or Kesler. Not only does Neal dive, he's also a dirty player.

Baggy Spandex

The Nightman Cometh
Mar 5, 2008
Fake Rangerfanville
Fine should be $20. I feel that would be far more embarrassing.

You'd have players attempting to laugh it off through the media, and they'd even look more foolish in the end.

It would draw more attention to them.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
One of my least favorite players in the league, glad he is finally recognized for what he is

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Cooke yes, I seriously doubt Burrows or Kesler. Not only does Neal dive, he's also a dirty player.
Burrows is pretty dirty himself and dives nightly.

The on ice penalty for diving should be a five minute major. If it's not called on the ice then it should be a suspension without pay for the next game. Second offense two games and so on.

Mighty Chin

Dec 13, 2013

The on ice penalty for diving should be a five minute major. If it's not called on the ice then it should be a suspension without pay for the next game. Second offense two games and so on.

No he's not but people sure do like to perpetuate that view of him.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley

Holy hyperbole.

I can't remember the last time I saw Burrows dive and I watch every game. How often do you watch the Canucks? You maybe caught a game in 2009?

m0ngr31

I'd be happy if they'd stop calling it as a matching minor. You really want them to stop? Just call the dive. You'll see it stop real quick...

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'd be happy if they'd stop calling it as a matching minor. You really want them to stop? Just call the dive. You'll see it stop real quick...

:nod:

100%

What's the worst that happens to divers? They open up the ice for some 4-4? Yeah not really an incentive not to do it.

Mighty Chin

Dec 13, 2013
Holy hyperbole.

I can't remember the last time I saw Burrows dive and I watch every game. How often do you watch the Canucks? Last time in 2009 perhaps?

Don't forget he has a taste for human flesh too. He's a lazy cannible though he much prefers it if the victim shoves fingers into his mouth.

Oh he pulled hair obey time as the the other player raked thier fingers over his eyes and face.

smackdaddy

x – Edmonton
Nov 24, 2006
B.C.
LOL that is quite the crackdown.

Alright let's scale that down to the average $50,000 salary the working stiffs do.

$5,000,000/$2000 = 0.0004%
0.0004% * $50,000 = $20

Twenty bucks.Wow. What a "crackdown".

I pay more for parking violations.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: