Player Discussion Jakub Zboril

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I would prefer zboril/Lauzon over Goulobef.
Ty Anderson made a pretty good point on twitter...basically if it's a 1 game fill-in the journeyman vet is usually the better option than the prospect. If it's going to be for an extended stretch go with the prospect. I think the reasoning is that 1 game for a kid is not enough to really correct any mistakes or let him learn as he goes. I tend to agree.

I think with Krug being close to a return they'll go with a more experienced guy.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Tag me in it since I can’t find it and I’ll give an update.

you aren't the only one... I have to try to remember everytime I go looking for it... it has a providence bruins tag in yellow before it... and they call it general discussion. luckily its always in the sticky area here so after looking for a few mins I usually eventually find it but its hard. I don't blame you for not seeing it... its hard for me. I wonder if the powers that be can make it a bit easier and put providence bruins in the actual title

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
Really like what I’ve seen from Zboril so far this season. Playing with purpose and skating with conviction, his game is much more cohesive than last season. He must have trained hard over ther summer as he looks stronger and faster.

In regards to his readiness for the NHL? Not quite there yet, but he’s getting closer and trending upwards. I think he would be able to handle himself, but would rather him see the NHL under better circumstances. I think Breen or Golubef get the call.

Not every player can jump into the NHL as a U20 player and impact the game like Werenski or McAvoy. Let Zboril take his time and let the Bruins get it right with his development, because he’s got the tools and skillset of a top-four defenseman.

How would you feel if Lauzen got the call up against Philly tomorrow night?? I ask you because it seems like you see alot of Providence games whereas I only get to read whatever there is on any players or the boxscores and they never tell how a defenseman played..Thanks in advance..Also I noticed you mention Chris Breen and/or Golubef but not Lauzen.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Ty Anderson made a pretty good point on twitter...basically if it's a 1 game fill-in the journeyman vet is usually the better option than the prospect. If it's going to be for an extended stretch go with the prospect. I think the reasoning is that 1 game for a kid is not enough to really correct any mistakes or let him learn as he goes. I tend to agree.

I think with Krug being close to a return they'll go with a more experienced guy.

This makes zero sense.

What decent free agent D is floating out in the market currently?

Give Zboril a chance already

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
This makes zero sense.

What decent free agent D is floating out in the market currently?

Give Zboril a chance already
no, i'm not talking about adding a veteran D, I'm talking about using one of the older guys from Providence...Breen, Goloubef, etc. Those guys are basically career AHLers, but for a 1-2 game stint they are serviceable and it's just not worth calling up a prospect for such a short stint in most cases.

BruinsNetwork

How would you feel if Lauzen got the call up against Philly tomorrow night?? I ask you because it seems like you see alot of Providence games whereas I only get to read whatever there is on any players or the boxscores and they never tell how a defenseman played..Thanks in advance..Also I noticed you mention Chris Breen and/or Golubef but not Lauzen.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear— I’m actually hearing the Bruins have recalled Lauzon from Providence on emergency basis. Lauzon is one of the hardest players to go into the corners with and also knock off the puck. He’s been a rock for Providence, whether he’s been on the right or left.

Last year, he had 1G-6A-7PTS in 54GP.
This year, he has 1G-3A-4PTS in 6GP.

Lauzon competes hard and is a three-zone player all the way through to his core. One thing I’ve noticed about his game this year is that his stretch-passes out of the zone and in transition have been money.

Hopefully he draws into the lineup and the fans can see him play in the show.

BruinsNetwork

The reason I didn’t mention Lauzon or Zboril is because I didn’t think the Bruins would want to call them up for a short stint.

I want to see Zboril and Lauzon in the NHL, but calling someone like Goloubef or Breen (when his NHL-deal was still active) is more typical in these situations. Clearly this isn’t the case as Lauzon has been recalled, from what I’m hearing out of Providence.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Zboril was looking good in the preseason but got his bell rung. Takes awhile to get back to 100 pct.

Concussions...is it me or are they getting more and more frequent, most likely not, just me paying more attention but it almost seems you need roster size x 2 only because of that type of injury.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Concussions...is it me or are they getting more and more frequent, most likely not, just me paying more attention but it almost seems you need roster size x 2 only because of that type of injury.

I think they are being reported more, not happening more. Hopefully a step in the right direction. The Connor Timmins situation is really, really upsetting. He may never get his shot anymore.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Zboril unfortunately suffered a concussion on the China trip.

Because concussions effect the brain and the brain is in the decision making business it can adversely effect ones play certainly short term. Ain’t that right Loui Eriksson and Patrice Bergeron.

Hopefully he will soon be looking like the player I watched in camp I thought Zboril was getting very close and it was unfortunate.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I didn't know he had a concussion. Does anyone ever really get back to 100%? I have my doubts.
Bergeron the year after he missed last 70 games due to concussion scored 8 goals.

Took him 2 years but he got it back

Reactions: BMC

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I think they are being reported more, not happening more. Hopefully a step in the right direction. The Connor Timmins situation is really, really upsetting. He may never get his shot anymore.

I think so too. Wasn't aware of Timmins' situation, just terrible.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Really like what I’ve seen from Zboril so far this season. Playing with purpose and skating with conviction, his game is much more cohesive than last season. He must have trained hard over ther summer as he looks stronger and faster.

In regards to his readiness for the NHL? Not quite there yet, but he’s getting closer and trending upwards. I think he would be able to handle himself, but would rather him see the NHL under better circumstances. I think Breen or Golubef get the call.

Not every player can jump into the NHL as a U20 player and impact the game like Werenski or McAvoy. Let Zboril take his time and let the Bruins get it right with his development, because he’s got the tools and skillset of a top-four defenseman.
Great stuff

I’m going to Bruins tonight and after Red Sox are done plan on going to a few baby Bruins games in Providence and watching the kids

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
So Zboril has been surpassed by two 2nd rounders (Carlo, Lauzon), a year younger McAvoy and by two years younger Vaakanainen. Not to mention some of the other 2015 draft defensemen like Chabot, Dermott or Dunn.
Some might jump on me for writing him off so "early", but Bruins should really look into trading him for a legit NHLer. (in a package obviously)
Griffin Reinhart wasn't much better (if at all) than Zboril is right now when he got traded for a fortune. Maybe there's a team that values Zboril highly?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
So Zboril has been surpassed by two 2nd rounders (Carlo, Lauzon), a year younger McAvoy and by two years younger Vaakanainen. Not to mention some of the other 2015 draft defensemen like Chabot, Dermott or Dunn.
Some might jump on me for writing him off so "early", but Bruins should really look into trading him for a legit NHLer. (in a package obviously)
Griffin Reinhart wasn't much better (if at all) than Zboril is right now when he got traded for a fortune. Maybe there's a team that values Zboril highly?

Just because Lauzon got the call before Zboril doesn't mean he has been surpassed. I'm not against trading him for a legit NHLer but the reasoning wouldn't be because I think he's a bust.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m Sweeney I’m keeping him I like his style and game

Go back to the HF draft thread on June 26 2015 when Chiarelli traded 16 & 33 for Griffin Reinhart. Both Glorydaze and myself on the spot in that thread trashed that deal.

We had both seen Reinhart multiple times in the AHL and both talked and texted back and forth he was going to be a bust - we questioned everything from his skating and decision making agreeing his best trait was his last name. Joe actually called me from the Springfield - Bridgeport game to tell me Reinhart was in his opinion their 5th best defenseman.

I inherited a team in the SIM with Reinhart who was still considered a top prospect in the game but I couldn’t wait to dump him.

When Chiarelli traded for him basically giving up 16 Kyle Connor ?and the 33rd pick Carlo ? I was stunned

Chiarelli even drove to watch Connor in the USHL specifically to personal scout him and then he did that bone head move

Zboril is eons better then Reinhart not close.

If they trade Zboril it bettter be for something good.

I would just as soon keep him though.

I plan on going a couple of times in November (9th & 17th) and Zboril is high on my watch list

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I’m Sweeney I’m keeping him I like his style and game

Go back to the HF draft thread on June 26 2015 when Chiarelli traded 16 & 33 for Griffin Reinhart. Both Glorydaze and myself on the spot in that thread trashed that deal.

We had both seen Reinhart multiple times in the AHL and both talked and texted back and forth he was going to be a bust - we questioned everything from his skating and decision making agreeing his best trait was his last name. Joe actually called me from the Springfield - Bridgeport game to tell me Reinhart was in his opinion their 5th best defenseman.

I inherited a team in the SIM with Reinhart who was still considered a top prospect in the game but I couldn’t wait to dump him.

When Chiarelli traded for him basically giving up 16 Kyle Connor ?and the 33rd pick Carlo ? I was stunned

Chiarelli even drove to watch Connor in the USHL specifically to personal scout him and then he did that bone head move

Zboril is eons better then Reinhart not close.

If they trade Zboril it bettter be for something good.

I would just as soon keep him though.

I plan on going a couple of times in November (9th & 17th) and Zboril is high on my watch list

Right now its tough to see him leapfrogging the guys ahead of him BUT that inevitable day when it comes time to replace Big Z may not be too far away and you want this guy around for when that happens. Since he's effectively blocked I'm choosing to look at him more like an NCAA prospect thats gonna stay in school 2-3 years only difference is hes playing home games in the Dunk and not Schneider Arena.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Right now its tough to see him leapfrogging the guys ahead of him BUT that inevitable day when it comes time to replace Big Z may not be too far away and you want this guy around for when that happens. Since he's effectively blocked I'm choosing to look at him more like an NCAA prospect thats gonna stay in school 2-3 years only difference is hes playing home games in the Dunk and not Schneider Arena.

I had season tickets in the Q for years and got to watch Zboril quite a bit.The talent is there but there was always something I felt was missing with his game and could never put my finger on it..The more I think about it the more I think the answer is his mental fortitude.He cannot stay focused shift to shift and be consistant.Never liked the pick from day 1.Hope I wrong on this guy ,hate to see kids fail and miss their dream.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I had season tickets in the Q for years and got to watch Zboril quite a bit.The talent is there but there was always something I felt was missing with his game and could never put my finger on it..The more I think about it the more I think the answer is his mental fortitude.He cannot stay focused shift to shift and be consistant.Never liked the pick from day 1.Hope I wrong on this guy ,hate to see kids fail and miss their dream.
I was/am a fan of the pick and you may very well be right, I`m for one am not as quick to exclaim a kid is a bust too soon (not implying that is what you are doing at all) and I won`t do it with Zboril. I actually preferred his game to Lauzon`s having watched both many times in Halifax.

There is no exact science as to when or why player A is more ready than player B regardless of draft position. Time will Zboril, not tossing in the towel on him yet

Reactions: 22Brad Park

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I was/am a fan of the pick and you may very well be right, I`m for one am not as quick to exclaim a kid is a bust too soon (not implying that is what you are doing at all) and I won`t do it with Zboril. I actually preferred his game to Lauzon`s having watched both many times in Halifax.

There is no exact science as to when or why player A is more ready than player B regardless of draft position. Time will Zboril, not tossing in the towel on him yet

They used the 13th overall pick on him just 3 years ago so they need to give this everything they have to make it work in my opinion.Not sure why just never took a liking to this kid.As I said above could never quite put my finger on it so guessing its his mental fortitude which I could be dead wrong ..Was hoping he was one called up to get a serious look at him .Not just me but everyone here.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
They used the 13th overall pick on him just 3 years ago so they need to give this everything they have to make it work in my opinion.Not sure why just never took a liking to this kid.As I said above could never quite put my finger on it so guessing its his mental fortitude which I could be dead wrong ..Was hoping he was one called up to get a serious look at him .Not just me but everyone here.
He did get a concussion in preseason and didn't get the best start because of it, Lauzon has been better to start the year so its no surprise he got called up.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Just because Lauzon got the call before Zboril doesn't mean he has been surpassed. I'm not against trading him for a legit NHLer but the reasoning wouldn't be because I think he's a bust.
Why would Boston call up the inferior player? I would understand it if some AHL vet was called up instead, but they went with Lauzon, a guy Bruins got in the same draft as Zboril, except they got him there much later than Zboril. And let's not act like Lauzon had some crazy development curve since getting drafted. He is progressing well for a 2nd rounder, but passing a former 13th pick from a stacked 1st round means given player (Zboril) has been stagnating.

In Zboril's case it's definitely mental problem. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in some obscure European league five years from now. If you want to make a pro career you have to be fully committed to hockey. Is Zboril fully committed? I am not sure. What about those rumours of him being an avid video game player? That's the worst case scenario though.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Why would Boston call up the inferior player? I would understand it if some AHL vet was called up instead, but they went with Lauzon, a guy Bruins got in the same draft as Zboril, except they got him there much later than Zboril. And let's not act like Lauzon had some crazy development curve since getting drafted. He is progressing well for a 2nd rounder, but passing a former 13th pick from a stacked 1st round means given player (Zboril) has been stagnating.

In Zboril's case it's definitely mental problem. I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up in some obscure European league five years from now. If you want to make a pro career you have to be fully committed to hockey. Is Zboril fully committed? I am not sure. What about those rumours of him being an avid video game player? That's the worst case scenario though.
Lauzon wasn't drafted much later, he was drafted in the second round and there were some saying at the time he could end up better than Zboril, with injuries making him a bit more of a question mark. Coincidentally an injury to Zboril in the preseason is the reason he didn't start the year out great. Zboril does have inconsistency issues which is likely an issue between the ears, but has also shown he can be a dominant force out there and has by all accounts been improving steadily. I don't think it really matters who of the two ends up better but the book isn't written on either of them right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad