Jakub Voracek

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Raffl is fine because he does the "dirty work," chases the puck into corners, is responsible defensively, compare to Hartnell, for example.

Schenn is a good fit on the 2nd line, with Laughton they have size and speed, which allows Simmons to "collect garbage" near the net.

In the same way, Umberger is starting to fit with Couts and Read as long as he's willing to get dirty and set screens.

You can't have three guys skating and shooting in the open ice on each line who don't set screens, crash the goal or go into corners - otherwise you have a soft team that piles up the points against weak teams and disappears in the playoffs. You need balance.

V is perfect with Giroux, Voracek has gotten strong enough to hold the puck in traffic and fight for it along the boards, Giroux wins the faceoffs and floats in space and makes the great vision pass, you could have a "garbage collector" like Hartnell on this line but that would slow G & V down, Raffl allows them to play at full speed because he can keep up, but if they have to throw it into the offensive zone, he has both the speed and toughness to "go chase."

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
You don't need 3 first liners on a good top line. In fact with the salary cap you would be sacrificing depth to do it.

I like Raffl quite a bit in that spot. It's like people think G and V would be putting up 135 pts with a better LW. There's only so much puck to go around

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
You don't need 3 first liners on a good top line. In fact with the salary cap you would be sacrificing depth to do it.

I like Raffl quite a bit in that spot. It's like people think G and V would be putting up 135 pts with a better LW. There's only so much puck to go around

Yeah but if you can get that 3rd guy who's just as slick with the puck you create a monster of a line. There's so much trust between Jake & Giroux right now, it'd be tough to get a 3rd guy the puck...but not impossible! What they had going on in Dallas with Seguin/Benn/Spezza was a perfect example. If you get a full line hot its scary for stretches at a time.

Uggh if only we still had JvR :'(
Every PPG I see from him is where we put Schenn (Left-hand shot in the slot) and I just imagine our PP with
JvR - G - Simmer
Streit - Voracek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad