Prospect Info: Jakob Pelletier, Left Wing, 26th Overall

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Kind of a double edged sword. Bennett could also be used to make a pretty strong argument, as to why players should develop, playing top minutes in the AHL. Thrusting a player into the NHL, before they're ready, while playing lesser roles with limited opportunities, can destroy fragile confidence, in very young players. I think watching guys like Mangi and Dube surpass Bennett, is a pretty good indication of this.

When I watch Dube or Mangi over Bennett, they are both infinitely smarter on the ice than Bennett ever was. They use their line mates much more effectively. Another huge difference is Bennett never had a shot, whereas Mangiapane has arguably the best shot on the team and Dube has a great shot too + one of the few guys who uses his one-timer.

I do think Bennett could have developed much better here though if he stayed with Backlund for 3-5 years so he can learn the game. He isn't a dumb person, he just has low hockey IQ, Backlund has a super high hockey IQ which he would have helped Bennett with, but alas Bennett was thrust into the deep end with Brouwer and other bullshit.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Translated the french:
Jakob Pelletier: an asset for the Calgary Flames.

He held his breath a bit after the exchange of Tyler Toffoli. But the Flames have plans for him and he's happy to remain a member of the Alberta organization.

upload_2022-2-18_16-25-30.png

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think his future with the Flames is very much dependent on Mangiapane's contract negotiations. Sutter didn't much seem to care for him at all in pre-season. Admittedly, Pelletier was also way sub-standard in pre-season too.

But I think that as long as Sutter is here, Pelletier will be overlooked. Doubtful that he gets in while our LW depth is Gaudreau-Mangiapane-Dube-Lucic/Future vet and our RW depth is Tkachuk-Coleman-Toffoli-Vet. There were also his comments from a while back about how none of the Stockton guys were on his radar during our losing skid from a month back

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I think his future with the Flames is very much dependent on Mangiapane's contract negotiations. Sutter didn't much seem to care for him at all in pre-season. Admittedly, Pelletier was also way sub-standard in pre-season too.

But I think that as long as Sutter is here, Pelletier will be overlooked. Doubtful that he gets in while our LW depth is Gaudreau-Mangiapane-Dube-Lucic/Future vet and our RW depth is Tkachuk-Coleman-Toffoli-Vet. There were also his comments from a while back about how none of the Stockton guys were on his radar during our losing skid from a month back
My one main thought as far as his future goes is that they might just have to look at him if they do keep all the important guys simply due to salary and him being on an ELC. I would also like to add on what I'd consider a condition on him being called up--given the LW depth is inherently related to salary and contract negotiations, if Monahan has to be traded I don't find it hard to imagine that they would have to in turn put Dube at centre, keep the 4th line together (plus a shifting RW) and would need an incumbent LW to take a spot with, for example, Backlund and Coleman with Dube playing with Mangiapane and Toffoli. That, to me, is the only other way he gets a significant look next season beyond Gaudreau/Mangi being gone, since he doesn't bring any of what Sutter is fixated on with a 4th line thus far (re: size).

Hopefully, given the salary cap, he does get that consideration.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
My one main thought as far as his future goes is that they might just have to look at him if they do keep all the important guys simply due to salary and him being on an ELC. I would also like to add on what I'd consider a condition on him being called up--given the LW depth is inherently related to salary and contract negotiations, if Monahan has to be traded I don't find it hard to imagine that they would have to in turn put Dube at centre, keep the 4th line together (plus a shifting RW) and would need an incumbent LW to take a spot with, for example, Backlund and Coleman with Dube playing with Mangiapane and Toffoli. That, to me, is the only other way he gets a significant look next season beyond Gaudreau/Mangi being gone, since he doesn't bring any of what Sutter is fixated on with a 4th line thus far (re: size).

I’ve mentioned this before, but let’s assume we re-sign Tkachuk and Johnny, I don’t see how we keep Mangiapane. To me, he’s one that’ll be the victim of the cap. Everyone loves Mangi, and for good reason. But the reality is that he’s going to make around as much as Monahan does, the difference being he’s younger and he’s a guy you can move for assets, not move with assets just to clear space. The other benefit of trading Mangi is that we do have Pelletier who can fill his role. We don’t have anyone to fill the role of Johnny or Tkachuk. So you’ve acquired Toffoli now, which fills a need, you move Mangi out and recoup those assets and plug Pelletier into fill his role next year and keep this train moving.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I’ve mentioned this before, but let’s assume we re-sign Tkachuk and Johnny, I don’t see how we keep Mangiapane. To me, he’s one that’ll be the victim of the cap. Everyone loves Mangi, and for good reason. But the reality is that he’s going to make around as much as Monahan does, the difference being he’s younger and he’s a guy you can move for assets, not move with assets just to clear space. The other benefit of trading Mangi is that we do have Pelletier who can fill his role. We don’t have anyone to fill the role of Johnny or Tkachuk. So you’ve acquired Toffoli now, which fills a need, you move Mangi out and recoup those assets and plug Pelletier into fill his role next year and keep this train moving.
Wonder if someone will offer sheet Mangi

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

That would honestly be ideal. Sutter can tell Mangi’s agent his priority is to do Chucky and Johnny, if he finds a good deal to go and sign it. Mangi is getting at least 6. You don’t bring back Zads or Gudbranson next season, you actually play Valimaki and Mackey, and you’re good. Re-sign Stone for popcorn duties.

Reactions: DFF

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

I'm not sure many teams that would be willing to give up picks will have the cap space with the cap likely not changing next year. I think if we re-sign all our players Kylington will be signed to a cheap 1 or 2 year deal.

Reactions: DFF

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'm not sure many teams that would be willing to give up picks will have the cap space with the cap likely not changing next year. I think if we re-sign all our players Kylington will be signed to a cheap 1 or 2 year deal.
I think 4M is attractive for someone like him but yeah it’s unlikely. Offer sheet doesn’t happen often

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

Just unsure why you would accomodate a prospect to this extent. In the situation we're in, you'd expect him to be the next guy out if we were looking for further upgrades to the team. I think we have to be prepared for one of our big free agents to leave in the summer

Reactions: Mazatt

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Just unsure why you would accomodate a prospect to this extent. In the situation we're in, you'd expect him to be the next guy out if we were looking for further upgrades to the team. I think we have to be prepared for one of our big free agents to leave in the summer
I mean only one of them actually has the ability to leave, and I imagine that same player is Calgary’s number one priority to sign.

I see Pelletier is almost a guarantee to be on our team next season, other than an absolutely awful camp stopping him. Most likely scenario is due to one of Monahan or Lucic being traded for cap reasons. If Monahan is moved, Dube shifts to centre and Pelletier takes his spot as a middle 6 LW. If Lucic is moved, Dube and Pelletier battle it out for who is a 3rd liner and who is a 4th. Another scenario I can see is Dube being moved in the off-season. His development has somewhat stagnated, could see him being shipped out for picks as a change of scenery trade while his value is influenced by potential. Replacing him with Pelletier saves us a cool 1.5M in cap for the next two seasons which could be important and it would help recoup some of the picks we’ve sent away. Either way, if we sign Gaudreau I don’t think there is a chance we lose any of our RFA’s, there’s a lot easier ways of saving cap than by trading a difference maker.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Oh, fully agreed. Doesn't make sense to open a spot in the lineup for him to essentially be gifted, I just feel that other moves to keep the other guys necessetate a cheap guy like Pelletier filling a spot that with our current makeup (assuming expensive contracts aremoved) doesn't really fit the profile of another player in the organization. Not that he's getting special accomodations, he's just "the best of the rest" so to speak in terms of a LW guy barring, say, Ruzicka - Gawdin/old vet being the bottom 6 centres in a hypothetical Monahan absence.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Pelletier will be our only winger by the time this season starts at this rate.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Him, Phillips, and Coronato must be happy with the turmoil lol

Bond

May 10, 2012
Coronato’s happy he just has to wait another 3 years to pick the team he wants to go to.
Just like Gaudreau! Most college players won't do the full 4 years cause they want to get paid. Fox's family is already rich and he could sacrifice some money to go where he wanted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad