Prospect Info: Jakob Pelletier, Left Wing, 26th Overall

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Monahan has impeded any kind of top 6 promotion for a few. I’m honestly shocked that Mangiapane was finally able to fight his way into it. Dube still needs work, but I’ve liked the progress.
Monahan hasn't impeded anyone, if someone out plays him they will get more time. How the f*** would Monahan impede a winger like Mangiapane? ho for the record spent half of 2019-20 in the top 6 too.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Monahan hasn't impeded anyone, if someone out plays him they will get more time. How the f*** would Monahan impede a winger like Mangiapane? ho for the record spent half of 2019-20 in the top 6 too.
I was referring to Mangiapane moving his way up on the winger side, and it took a while. And Monahan’s lackluster play was better than Bennett? He should’ve been demoted a long time ago. Lindholm has to play C because there’s no one else competent to be the 1C. That’s how bad it is right now.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I was referring to Mangiapane moving his way up on the winger side, and it took a while. And Monahan’s lackluster play was better than Bennett? He should’ve been demoted a long time ago. Lindholm has to play C because there’s no one else competent to be the 1C. That’s how bad it is right now.

Pretty much. Guy is closer to a 3rd line caliber centre at the NHL level at this point baring a miraculous recovery.

8 pts in the last 22 games for Monahan. Just as a heads up, but Bennett only has 3 less pts on the year at this point than Monahan.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes, Monahan was better than Bennett. You or I were better than Bennett most nights. Bennett took way too many nights off, for a guy with a motor like his, he shouldn't be invisible half the season.

Reactions: User1996

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yes, Monahan was better than Bennett. You or I were better than Bennett most nights. Bennett took way too many nights off, for a guy with a motor like his, he shouldn't be invisible half the season.
Agree to disagree, Bennett was much more effective with Sutter at helm

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Agree to disagree, Bennett was much more effective with Sutter at helm
well if we want to use tiny sample sizes where we know one player is injured... and the entire reason Lindholm was moved to center this year was because Bennett couldn't be relied upon to be a top 9 center

There is a reason why the Bennett fan club always has to use small sample size to manipulate stats to "prove" his effectiveness.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The simple/easy solution is to just play Dube on either Monahan or Backlunds RW, and have him learn the C position on the fly. Been wanting them to give that a serious look all season.
This is what I have been thinking too. if they weren't going to move Lindholm back to RW, it should be Mangi and Dube as the top 2 RW, gives two stronger pairings and doesn't put 3/4 of your eggs in one basket.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
The two other guys on the list played for Charlottetown Islanders, who posted an insane 35-5 record. A couple fun facts about that team were that the 4 top scorers in the league played for them, and that their goalie set a QMJHL record for GAA despite “only” having a. .926 save percentage. Pelletier didn’t win partly because of the insane amount of help that team had, but what he did with his team was special.
He turns pro this season, right?
There is a 100% chance Pelletier is a pro next season, most likely starting in the AHL.
Pelletier also plays the style of hockey Sutter goes to bed and dreams about, so I could see him getting a shot later in the season.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He was a 1st round pick that played 8 NHL games. That's a bust no matter how or why it happened.
Wow I have no recollection of him playing in the NHL at all. Even more surprised that he got an opportunity in the 14/15 season

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Poirier and Klimchuk’s draft was not all that great anyways.

Hindsight, we could have picked the Russian Burakovsky or Theodore. Hartman would have been a good pick as well, but there wasn’t much there.

Good 3rd round that year though.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Non-dirty Marchand is how he was billed when drafted

I saw Gallagher and Marchand comparables when he was drafted. I believe our own scouts and GM leaned heavier on the Marchand comparable though.

In it's own weird irony and coincidentals, I believe Pelletier is less dirty scrum wise than Marchand, but he goes to dirtier areas like Gallagher more often.

I also don't believe he has the top speed of Marchand or many speeders, but his average speed is supposedly quite a bit higher than the average player, and even though he's easier to knock down due to his size, knocking him out of the play is apparently very difficult because he bounces back up and uses his edges to get back into the play. But honestly speaking, I haven't really sat down and micro analyzed these types of facets to his game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I saw Gallagher and Marchand comparables when he was drafted. I believe our own scouts and GM leaned heavier on the Marchand comparable though.

In it's own weird irony and coincidentals, I believe Pelletier is less dirty scrum wise than Marchand, but he goes to dirtier areas like Gallagher more often.

I also don't believe he has the top speed of Marchand or many speeders, but his average speed is supposedly quite a bit higher than the average player, and even though he's easier to knock down due to his size, knocking him out of the play is apparently very difficult because he bounces back up and uses his edges to get back into the play. But honestly speaking, I haven't really sat down and micro analyzed these types of facets to his game.
I was already excited about Pelletier, but at the WJC he showed me something else. The way he forced Team Canada's hand to move him further up the lineup every game was extremely impressive and he ended up finishing at a point per game without any powerplay time. Frankly the only better Canadian forward was Cozens. He showed he was relentless, that he was reliable at ES and on the PK, he showed he could play any role from a checking line to the first line.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I was already excited about Pelletier, but at the WJC he showed me something else. The way he forced Team Canada's hand to move him further up the lineup every game was extremely impressive and he ended up finishing at a point per game without any powerplay time. Frankly the only better Canadian forward was Cozens. He showed he was relentless, that he was reliable at ES and on the PK, he showed he could play any role from a checking line to the first line.

I don't remember Pelletier being that high up at WJC, but he was definitely solid. Always good to have a prospect we can be legit excited for though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't remember Pelletier being that high up at WJC, but he was definitely solid. Always good to have a prospect we can be legit excited for though.
Towards the end of the tourney he was on the top line with Cozens and McMichael, after starting with Byfield and various other guys on the 3rd/4th line. It was at least the final 2 games he was on the top line.

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad