Player Discussion Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson - II - Signing in the Swedish Hockey League

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I had hopes for him but he seemed tentative. He's only 22 so obviously he can grow but I think this is a good move on his part.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Waste of a pick. Beat my prediction of returning to Sweden by 5 years. Maybe they can package him with Koko and get a third or fourth round pick.

Reactions: bbfan419

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Still think it was dumb to pry him out of college early...

I would tend to agree with this. Definitely felt like he was a boy amongst men in his time with the Bruins. Maybe he should have stayed for at least his junior year, and a full year in Providence this year and next. Who knows if that would have helped though. Appears to be trending to another bad pick in the Zboril, Senyshyn class.

Reactions: bbfan419

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
This doesn't affect his NHL contract right? Seems like a good move for all parties.. if he lights it up after a year or two bring him back.

Honestly I just want Studnicka to get top six minutes and PP duties. If JFK moving helps then so be it.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
If he never amounts to anything for Boston, that obviously sucks.

But on a personal level, if he can go be a pretty good player in Sweden, that's probably a pretty good life to have.

Reactions: Budddy

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Underlying circumstances that could be there aside, not a good career move there JFK.

This is the best option for him. He's been passed on the depth chart with Coyle coming in, Stud and Fred most likely playing top 6 in Pro. If it works out and he comes back better it's a win-win. If not oh well, worse players have been picked high, this sport is a gamble. Good luck to you JFK

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Hypothetically. Let's say he stays in Sweden for 2+ years and decides he wants to come back. Boston will have his rights, right? And if Boston decide to bring him back, does he have to go through waivers?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Still think it was dumb to pry him out of college early...
It is my understanding that it was him not the Bruins who pushed for him to come out of BU early.

He should have stayed at least 1 more year.

I hope he is successful in Sweden and hopefully he gets a 2nd chance at some point.

Reactions: Estlin

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
this seems obvious to me. is this guy hurt or struggling in the AHL or something? the Bruins could at least pretend that they aren't desperate for a third-line center.

359lh7k.jpg

edit: I failed to update the goaltenders' numbers, but it should be Rask 90 and Halak 92.
I am now going to refer to Moore as Moo.

Reactions: BMC

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
He knew he had another year minimum in providence with coyle on the team and doesn’t think he will be the first center call up if any of the top 3 get hurt. Would rather play in Sweden then compete in the ahl for call ups. Speaks to a lack of confidence in his own game

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think it’s a good move on his end, he can go play against men and develop close to home. He’s already had a taste of the Pace and ice size, now he can continue to add weight while in a more comfortable setting

I don’t think it’s a lack of confidence or anything-I just think it’s a situation he is more comfortable in. It’s not like we are going to depend on him and so we might as well let him try and develop in a setting where he is most comfortable and can get a lot of ice time

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
He's still under contract with the Bruins, so it's not a loss yet. Disappointing, though. I put the chances of him wearing a Bruins jersey again at less than 1%.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
carl soderberg anyone?

its not completely unprecedented that one of our kids wants to go play at home for awhile and grow up big and strong before he becomes ready for the nhl

I remember how right everyone here was when they laughed and scoffed and ridiculed soderberg as a future bruin/nhler for many years in many thread posts here

I always thought sodeberg and zinovjev and a couple other lesser guys might easily return and help us... so im going to be no different on karlsson. I never did expect a lot from him. I guess my hope was for a serviceable second line guy or a pretty above average 3rd line guy.

seems to be a bit more than I expected from Sammy paulhson when he went through town here... he left us and had a pretty decent career elsewhere. its a bit more than I expected from shawn bates... but maybe it shouldnt be. bates had a few productive years in the nhl when he left too. will karlsson ever be as good as shawn bates was?

I had him ranked below federic and studnicka in my dreams... and now Karlson kuhlman looks like a center to me and is coming up quick. its possible the very best place for karlsson to do his yeti redo could be overseas there. lets hope it turns out well for us even if theres nothing down the road other than a trade of his rights to another team.

honestly with studnicka/federic/kuhlman I think our future at center is looking pretty bright. we just need a number 1 kingpin top line guy at the front of this list and we have some very nice looking options for second/third/fourth line here {and kuraly isnt that old either so he could be around the next 5-6 years himself}

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I just don’t see how we can call it a blown pick when he looked OK and has three bona fide Centers He has zero chance of beating out next year

All is not lost with him. If I had to guess he will become an NHL player- It just might not be here. It really all depends on his health

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
He’s still young.

I get the various reasoning as people stated above being potential factors. But it’s still surprising to me after, from what I remember reading from those who follow the P bruins, that he seemed to really start to find his groove to finish out the season/post season. Thought he made a legit push this year

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I like this move. He wasn't going to have a spot at center next year, and as @Dom - OHL mentioned in the Prospects thread, he'd have to clear waivers to go to Providence.

I don't think there's any reason to give up on him. He's only 22, and he has just 115 professional games under his belt.

As others have said, I think he left school too soon, and this move to the SHL should give him more time to marinate and hopefully work on his strength. He'll be playing against quality competition and I think it will take some pressure off him, since there won't be any potential call-ups.

I understand there are those who are disappointed in his play, but I still think he has the ability to be a long-term 3rd line C, or at a minimum a solid 4th line C.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Organizations n seemed tomprefer Frederic to him and now probably Studnicka. They tried to move him, probably never plays in Boston again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad