Player Discussion Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson - II - Signing in the Swedish Hockey League

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Well, shit. How's the depth at center after Frederic?

Some day, a few years from now, Krejci and Bergeron will be needing replacing. You gotta wonder how they're gonna handle that sooner or later. That said, JFK wouldn't have started next year with Coyle on teh team, and there's a chance Coyle resigns with the Bruins anyway.

But either way you look at it, I had higher hopes for this lad than this.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Well, ****. How's the depth at center after Frederic?

Some day, a few years from now, Krejci and Bergeron will be needing replacing. You gotta wonder how they're gonna handle that sooner or later. That said, JFK wouldn't have started next year with Coyle on teh team, and there's a chance Coyle resigns with the Bruins anyway.

But either way you look at it, I had higher hopes for this lad than this.
They should have a couple drafts at center before they both are done but they need to start looking at center in the not so long term now. Unless you can get Point as a RFA you rarely can sign top line centers as free agents. This is where i believe in draft and develop, instead of looking at BPA at the draft start to load up at center or move some D depth to add a young, proven center.

I like Frederic but he really seems to be a 3C at best, Studnicka has proven nothing so far, a nice prospect but totally unproven. The risk with over valuing your prospects was once again just shown to everyone by JFK, the Bergeron light comparisons were a complete joke and he did not have ANY push back in his game. He is off to a league where his style of play will be appreciated

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I think some people are looking to much into this. Seems like its more of a way to avoid losing JFK to waivers than anything. As @Dom - OHL pointed out, he'd need to clear for the AHL. No way would he clear.

The Bruins were very much involved in the decision process here.

JFK is under contract until July 1. He would not have been allowed to sign in Sweden under IIHF rules had he not had the B's blessing.

Just how much were the Bruins involved?

My good friend Reed who is my go to guy when I want to know all things SHL just told me that JFK's SHL rights were held by Linkoping and a lot of dealing had to take place so that he could play with Vaxjo Lakers,a team Reed calls "the best hockey team outside the NHL".

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
He knew he had another year minimum in providence with coyle on the team and doesn’t think he will be the first center call up if any of the top 3 get hurt. Would rather play in Sweden then compete in the ahl for call ups. Speaks to a lack of confidence in his own game
You make this claim as though it is fact, which it is not, no one knows the reason. One reason could be family issues and he wants to be closer to home for support, just as likely as your scenario.

BruinsNetwork

He knew he had another year minimum in providence with coyle on the team and doesn’t think he will be the first center call up if any of the top 3 get hurt. Would rather play in Sweden then compete in the ahl for call ups. Speaks to a lack of confidence in his own game

You’re completely wrong, actually. I’m not saying that as an opinion or theory, either. As someone who’s around JFK and the organization in Providence, I can say with 100 percent certainty that you are wrong.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i don't see JFK as anything more than a vanilla 3rd line player.

with that said, all the best to him and his family w-r-t this personal issue.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
The JFK train is leaving the station and I don't think we shall see him with the Bruins again unless alot of things fall into place. To his credit, he is not a bad player, there just didn't seem to be anything that really stood out about his game. GL JFK.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
For everyone saying he left college too early, probably true. If I remember correctly, the Bruins pushed hard to convince him.

The CBA provision where he could walk after 4 years probably played a bigger part than the fact they thought he was ready. They then let him burn an ELC year with a game at the end of that season, which probably helped convince him.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
For everyone saying he left college too early, probably true. If I remember correctly, the Bruins pushed hard to convince him.

The CBA provision where he could walk after 4 years probably played a bigger part than the fact they thought he was ready. They then let him burn an ELC year with a game at the end of that season, which probably helped convince him.

Yes, that's what I recall too. In order to get him to leave BU, they had to get him in an NHL game at the tail end of that season and burn a year on the deal. Probably would have been better off coming out after his junior year. But best of luck to him and, if there is a family illness, best wishes to his family. Must be difficult to be across an ocean when something like that is going on.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I dont mind this move

However if he ends up staying there and never coming back.... well that would stink

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Best wishes to him. He disappeared quite a bit at the end in Providence, but it’s possible family matters were weighing on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad