Player Discussion Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson - II - Signing in the Swedish Hockey League

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Since his return to Center starting on the Jan. 5th game vs. Buffalo.

GP = 8

G = 0

A = 3 (including at least 2 primary assists)

+/- = + 4 (last game he was a minus was the Winter Classic).

Face-offs = 33 W, 34 L

While averaging roughly 10 mins. a game.

Nothing mind-blowing, but for a rookie center that's not terrible at all.

Exactly. Love that +4. Really we just need that line to be a net contributor.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
If JFK is centering the 3rd line in the playoffs then that line needs to add some grit on the wing. I like Heinen and think a line of JFK, Heinen and a guy like Ferland could work

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
If JFK is centering the 3rd line in the playoffs then that line needs to add some grit on the wing. I like Heinen and think a line of JFK, Heinen and a guy like Ferland could work
I dont like Heinen or JFK but those two with Donato would be eaten alive in the playoffs. Ferland could make it a somewhat useful line.

I would move JFK before Heinen, at least Heinen has ok defensive instincts. Both like to avoid contact at all costs.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Wouldn't mind seeing Frederic and JFK on the line together. One can play C while the other plays LW or RW. Maybe send Heinen in a deal for Schenn...Frederic-JFK-Schenn or some combo of that

Last edited:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Donato, Heinen & JFK will be sponsor adds on the boards come playoff time. If they go with 2/3 of them, you need some grit and physicality there. If they keep all 3 together you might as well render that line useless.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Donato, Heinen & JFK will be sponsor adds on the boards come playoff time. If they go with 2/3 of them, you need some grit and physicality there. If they keep all 3 together you might as well render that line useless.

If you want to see some game film of a useless playoff line, check out the footage of Schaller-Kuraly-Acciari from the 2018 Stanley Cup playoffs.

Reactions: smack66 and Estlin

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
If you want to see some game film of a useless playoff line, check out the footage of Schaller-Kuraly-Acciari from the 2018 Stanley Cup playoffs.
I don't disagree, but their job isn't to produce offense. Hell, they even produced better than the 3rd line, honestly.

Heinen/Backes/Riley Nash - combined 5 points in 30 games and -10
Acciari/Kuraly/Schaller - combined 7 points in 35 games and +8

I'd take the Kuraly line over he third line, honestly.

Last edited:
Reactions: PB37

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
He just needs experience. It may even be prudent to just let him center the 3rd line in the play-offs and get that experience under his belt.
Are we going for participation awards now?

Tampa has JT Miller centering their 3rd line, Toronto has a 30 goal scoring uber douche centering theirs. I don't think we can expect to win (or even be competitive in) those matchups without an impact 3c of our own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Estlin

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I don't disagree, but their job isn't to produce offense. Hell, they even produced better than the 3rd line, honestly.

Same. 4 points for Kuraly, 2 each from Acciari and Schaller. Acciari lead all forwards in hits, Schaller was third. +5 for Kuraly ( 2nd among forwards ), +3 for Schaller ( 4th among forwards ) and +0 for Acciari. The 4th line did their jobs and didn't hurt the team.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Tampa has JT Miller centering their 3rd line, Toronto has a 30 goal scoring uber *****e centering theirs. I don't think we can't expect to win (or even be competitive in) those matchups without an impact 3c of our own.

I think Miller is on their 4th line LW right now. One of the few under performing players for them when I've watched their games ( about 6 ) this year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

The 3rd line was equally awful in last years playoffs, no argument here.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Same. 4 points for Kuraly, 2 each from Acciari and Schaller. Acciari lead all forwards in hits, Schaller was third. +5 for Kuraly ( 2nd among forwards ), +3 for Schaller ( 4th among forwards ) and +0 for Acciari. The 4th line did their jobs and didn't hurt the team.

Schaller was that bad he got healthy scratched. Just couldn't keep up to the increased pace of the playoffs.

I was actually surprised how bad Acciari and Kuraly were after a fine showing together in the 2017 playoffs vs. Ottawa.

If what they did last year was considered "doing their jobs" this team is going nowhere.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Schaller was that bad he got healthy scratched. Just couldn't keep up to the increased pace of the playoffs.

I was actually surprised how bad Acciari and Kuraly were after a fine showing together in the 2017 playoffs vs. Ottawa.

If what they did last year was considered "doing their jobs" this team is going nowhere.
"Healthy scratched" has an * next to it when the guy has surgery immediately after the season ends . . . think Acciari went under the knife too.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

I also don't disagree, but do you think right now that the third line we have assembled will be good come post season time? Having an effective 3rd line is more vital to playoff success than the 4th line.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The 3rd line was equally awful in last years playoffs, no argument here.
I think the third line was actually significantly worse than the 4th line. At least the 4th line wasn't really getting scored on and was remotely physical. The third line was just skating around getting knocked around like mite players and not producing in any aspect.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
"Healthy scratched" has an * next to it when the guy has surgery immediately after the season ends . . . think Acciari went under the knife too.

The point is that just because a line is full of grinders who supposedly play a "heavy" game doesn't automatically mean they will be effective come playoff time. It's like this HF Boards fairy tale that Grinders always raise their game in the playoffs, and skilled players always become less effective.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I also don't disagree, but do you think right now that the third line we have assembled will be good come post season time? Having an effective 3rd line is more vital to playoff success than the 4th line.

I think one piece out of Donato/Heinen/JFK needs to be taken off that line. Donato most likely as I don't see his main flaw (balance on his skates) being corrected this season.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think the third line was actually significantly worse than the 4th line. At least the 4th line wasn't really getting scored on and was remotely physical. The third line was just skating around getting knocked around like mite players and not producing in any aspect.

Yeah I'd agree the 3rd line was even worse. If I a nickel for every time Backes dumped the puck in because he couldn't gain separation from the back-checkers I could retire.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

Tampa has JT Miller centering their 3rd line, Toronto has a 30 goal scoring uber *****e centering theirs. I don't think we can expect to win (or even be competitive in) those matchups without an impact 3c of our own.

I agree that an impact 3rd line C is a necessity to win. But who might available at a reasonable cost?

(By reasonable, I mean no DeBrusk, Carlo or Vaakanainen)

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
The point is that just because a line is full of grinders who supposedly play a "heavy" game doesn't automatically mean they will be effective come playoff time. It's like this HF Boards fairy tale that Grinders always raise their game in the playoffs, and skilled players always become less effective.
I don't think the myth is that grinders raise their game.

The belief is that the playoffs are tight checking where every puck is contested and grinders are more suited to that style of game.

I don't think it applies to star caliber players but if you're making a lineup and you have a choice between a Donato type, someone skilled but who loses all of his battles and a Wagner type, someone not nearly as skilled but who will win most of those battles, coach will choose the guy who wins the battles.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think the myth is that grinders raise their game.

The belief is that the playoffs are tight checking where every puck is contested and grinders are more suited to that style of game.

I don't think it applies to star caliber players but if you're making a lineup and you have a choice between a Donato type, someone skilled but who loses all of his battles and a Wagner type, someone not nearly as skilled but who will win most of those battles, coach will choose the guy who wins the battles.

The myth is that is it is automatic that every grinder-type player will be effective in the playoffs. Some will, some won't. I don't dispute that playing a heavier grinder-type game is more applicable to playoff games.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I agree that an impact 3rd line C is a necessity to win. But who might available at a reasonable cost?

(By reasonable, I mean no DeBrusk, Carlo or Vaakanainen)

Schenn would be ideal. I don't think he'd cost any of those three guys you mentioned, but he still might be too expensive.

Coyle is my next choice. He's got size and skill, he can play heavy and could get a boost from coming home. Even if he doesn't (get a boost), his career numbers are very comparable to JT Miller...

Miller - 18g 26a 130 hits 39 takeaways
Coyle - 16g 26a 115 hits 33 takeaways

They just traded Nino for Rask so I think we could get him for JFK, maybe JFK and a mid round pick. According to their board, bringing in Rask and Aberg was a prelude to moving out Coyle. They can put JFK with Greenway. We can put Coyle with Heinen.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Schenn would be ideal. I don't think he'd cost any of those three guys you mentioned, but he still might be too expensive.

Coyle is my next choice. He's got size and skill, he can play heavy and could get a boost from coming home. Even if he doesn't (get a boost), his career numbers are very comparable to JT Miller...

They just traded Nino for Rask so I think we could get him for JFK, maybe JFK and a mid round pick. According to their board, bringing in Rask and Aberg was a prelude to moving out Coyle. They can put JFK with Greenway. We can put Coyle with Heinen.

Can they buy low on Coyle?

His last 8 games

0 goals, 1 assist, minus 10. Just 6 hits in that span.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

If we could get Coyle for JFK, I'd do that in a heartbeat

Reactions: PlayMakers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad