Player Discussion Jakob Chychrun (D)

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Next year there’s about $12.8 m of projected cap space (per CapFriendly) and 7 players to sign to reach 22 player roster. Pinto will need a new contract and there’s potential signing bonuses ($1 m). So, there’s not much cap space really. If they want to add a good player with a larger contract, like a RD as an example, it will require a subtraction. If they take any cap back in trade or a buyout, things will get even tighter. I’m just adding some info on the theme (cap space) of your post versus saying anything about your post just to be clear.
There’s no signing bonus to worry about, as that’s built in as part of his cap,
Ie 4 million contract AAV, could be broken down as 1 million signing bonus and 3 million in salary the rest of the year.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
In light of the deal Hanifan just signed, where do we see a contract for Chychrun ?

Some guys were calling for 9+. With Hanifan as a comparable and a bit of a hometown discount, where does Chychrun sign?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In light of the deal Hanifan just signed, where do we see a contract for Chychrun ?

Some guys were calling for 9+. With Hanifan as a comparable and a bit of a hometown discount, where does Chychrun sign?
Chychrun is tough to gauge, I think he's had a really poor season but a lot of the suggestions that he'd be getting a really rich deal came during his hot offensive start, 24 pts in his first 29 games.

Vegas also has a bit of a tax advantage, to get the same take-home salary in Ottawa, 9+ mil might not be that far off

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
Chychrun is tough to gauge, I think he's had a really poor season but a lot of the suggestions that he'd be getting a really rich deal came during his hot offensive start, 24 pts in his first 29 games.

Vegas also has a bit of a tax advantage, to get the same take-home salary in Ottawa, 9+ mil might not be that far off
Idk tho, we might also have an advantage as in hometown leverage . . We know Chychrun has family roots here
We know Chychrun BOUGHT a house here last summer...

It could work the other way ... little discount if he wants to stay ... 6x6.5

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Chychrun is the strangest player for me. I change my opinion of him every game. He makes some glaring mistakes now and then but other times, there are many, many plays where he defends really well using his stick and body position. He is really mobile and gets into lanes well. I find that both Sanderson and Chychrun are much better at chasing down plays and using their feet than Chabot. So on some days, I'm thinking the Sens have GOT to keep him. And then other days, it seems like he can't do anything right. Lol.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I wouldn't sign him for anything over 5 million. He's so soft, he doesn't defend or care to engage physically. I'd only even consider extending him if I know they can trade Chabot.
He is not a good fit and nothing over 6, but either he or Chabot leaves (ultimately they can both be moved). Can't have both of them that's for sure, and I still think Chabot has more to offer

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Idk tho, we might also have an advantage as in hometown leverage . . We know Chychrun has family roots here
We know Chychrun BOUGHT a house here last summer...

It could work the other way ... little discount if he wants to stay ... 6x6.5

I don't think buying a house is an indication he wants to stay here. He likely projected he would be here for 2 years. For someone who makes millions and wants a certain type of house, it's easier to buy and sell later than to rent. Condos might be a different story with there being more high end options. Buying a house for an NHL player is not the same level of commitment relative to their lifestyle as it is for a normal person.

Everybody knows that he was excited to come here with all his ties to the area, but quite a bit has changed. I think it's fair to assume based on his name being in trade rumors and this team still being a tire fire that he probably will move on. Of course, things can change quickly and if he is still here next season and we start winning, maybe he stays.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He is not a good fit and nothing over 6, but either he or Chabot leaves (ultimately they can both be moved). Can't have both of them that's for sure, and I still think Chabot has more to offer
A rare situation but I agree completely with this take haha. Chabot has more upside only because im pretty sure he isnt close to his peak physically. While I am very confident Chychurn is. Thats something that is absolutely fixable. Chychruns issues are not in my estimation. .

• Haha
Reactions: coladin

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The physical tools are there for Chychrun but there's something (or a lot) missing between the ears.

It's been awhile since I've seen a guy on the Sens who seems like he should be a lot better and then just isn't

At one point he was leading the league in even strength goals against. That's just as much if not more on the goaltending and the fact he has been healthy while playing a lot of minutes, but it's a pretty damning stat none the less.

Reactions: NB613

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I don't think buying a house is an indication he wants to stay here. He likely projected he would be here for 2 years. For someone who makes millions and wants a certain type of house, it's easier to buy and sell later than to rent. Condos might be a different story with there being more high end options. Buying a house for an NHL player is not the same level of commitment relative to their lifestyle as it is for a normal person.

Everybody knows that he was excited to come here with all his ties to the area, but quite a bit has changed. I think it's fair to assume based on his name being in trade rumors and this team still being a tire fire that he probably will move on. Of course, things can change quickly and if he is still here next season and we start winning, maybe he stays.
He could probably cover his costs just by renting it out to incoming Sens and sell it at an opportune time OR hold onto it for after his career.

So long as you have the money and real estate doesn't cross a certain %age of your assets, buying a nice house in a city you have tons of roots in is a pretty safe bet.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He could probably cover his costs just by renting it out to incoming Sens and sell it at an opportune time OR hold onto it for after his career.

So long as you have the money and real estate doesn't cross a certain %age of your assets, buying a nice house in a city you have tons of roots in is a pretty safe bet.

I would assume that the main factor is how difficult it is to rent the type of house an NHL player's family would be accustomed to. I could be wrong, but I don't think there are a lot of those suburban mini-mansions available for rent.

I also assume the guy came here with good intentions and thought he would be here for the next decade. Let's put it this way, if he had 1 year left when Dorion acquired him instead of 2, do you think he would have turned down an 8 year extension this past offseason? I don't think Chychrun or anyone else expected things to go this badly.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I would assume that the main factor is how difficult it is to rent the type of house an NHL player's family would be accustomed to. I could be wrong, but I don't think there are a lot of those suburban mini-mansions available for rent.

I also assume the guy came here with good intentions and thought he would be here for the next decade. Let's put it this way, if he had 1 year left when Dorion acquired him instead of 2, do you think he would have turned down an 8 year extension this past offseason? I don't think Chychrun or anyone else expected things to go this badly.
He’s not eligible to sign his next deal until July 1.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Then pointless question, since he couldn’t.

do you think he would have turned down an 8 year extension this past offseason?
Let's put it this way, if he had 1 year left when Dorion acquired him instead of 2, do you think he would have turned down an 8 year extension this past offseason?
The part of the quote omitted is the context

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'm aware. I didn't say he was.

The part of the quote omitted is the context
For some, its not about the main message or “context”. For some, the focus can be just one word even though there could be many words and sentences that make it clear what the main point was. Its all about the “gotcha”. If there’s some detail that isn’t important to the overall message, it doesn’t matter because the opportunity to criticize or embarrass the poster is what its all about. Its like a fat kid with a box of smarties. They can’t resist the urge. This isn’t a place to consult. It’s a place to criticize, at least for some.

Last edited:

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I wouldn't sign him for anything over 5 million. He's so soft, he doesn't defend or care to engage physically. I'd only even consider extending him if I know they can trade Chabot.

5 is not realistic. My guess is they move on from him, but I can't see the market for him being as low as your evaluation. He's probably worth somewhere between 6-7 in a vacuum but probably wants 7-8.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is a tough call, first Chabot has more offensive potential, but he is also getting older & has been injured a lot lately & makes quite a few gaffes at terrible times too. Chychrun is a yr younger, much stronger, maybe slightly better defensively & has put up 40 pts this yr. I kind of like him behind Sanderson on the left side whereas Chabot doesn' seem to fit on a second pairing & should be on the top pair, but Sanderson is JUST better. I go back & forth with these two, but regarding a future contract for Chychrun I'm not sure he is worth more than $6 mil & I definitely don't think they should keep both, but move one & it could be time to move on from Chabot. Maybe in a yr there is a relevation on defence where someone like Kleven becomes good enough to move up a notch or they find a LD in next yr's UFA market that is affordable they could keep for a couple of yrs. Jorian Donovan is a LD & could join Belleville for next season after his junior career is over this yr.

Sanderson - Zub
Chychrun - ???
Kleven - JBD - with JBD leading the team in blocked shots, that's what this defence needs someone else beside the goalies blocking shots

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Gosh, 9 million is what a dork like Dorion would offer. I am hoping that Staois is a lot more realistic with his number, if there is one. Like stated above numerous times, sometimes I am in love with the guy, then at times, most of the time, I am ready to poison all his raw meats. I still am a really firm believer that this guy does not gel with the group as it is quite obvious. Today I am saying trade the misfit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad