Player Discussion Jakob Chychrun (D)

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I wonder if his longevity this season can be attributed to a diet change, safer play, both, or something else entirely.

Unfortunately he might not play tonight, he's so close to playing his first full season.. already at a career high 74 games.

Hey, when you play and practice hard every night you take more bumps and get more bruises. Part of the game. Hope he is able to shake it off & keep up his positive momentum.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He’s not really a physical player at all eh. Surprised for a guy with his size and strength.
He's probably the softest player on the team. Which is insane because he is likely the strongest and very close to the biggest. Frankly I want both him and Chabot gone. You can't win with prominent players that have their roles that aren't competitive and hate losing.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's probably the softest player on the team. Which is insane because he is likely the strongest and very close to the biggest. Frankly I want both him and Chabot gone. You can't win with prominent players that have their roles that aren't competitive and hate losing.
My dad had a line for guys like Chychrun - "Built like Tarzan, plays like Jane." Of course, you can't say that line anymore without getting cancelled, so let's just say that Chychrun is softer than church music and always will be. To your point, he is the exact opposite of a gamer. I am more positive on Chabot than you are because I think Chabot has better skills on the power play and has better hockey sense than Chychrun. If you check their giveaway/takeaway numbers this year, Chychrun is a team worst -50, while Chabot was surprisingly about even. On plus/minus, which I freely admit is not always a precise stat, Chabot is -3 and Chychrun is -27. Given all of this plus their contract situations, I think the guy to move is a no brainer...

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Sanderson , Zub and Kleven are the only one I can watch
Softest D core in the league thanks to that ex-GM clown

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I just get a really bad vibe off this guy, the body language of his teammates speaks volumes. Once a $hit disturber, holding out, sitting out etc says a lot of the character of this guy. He is not a solid team mate. No way.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm pretty convinced the only reason he's been able to stay healthy this season is because he's playing softer than baby poop. The guy seems to be making business decisions out on the ice instead of playing the game.

I don't care how hard he can shoot the puck, he's been a liability basically all season and giving him the (presumed) $40+ million it would take to bring him back would be a major mistake.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Great. Let's get rid of both of them then.

Sanderson Zub
Brannstrom XXX
Kleven JBD

12.5 M in cap space = 2 top quality players. One would need to be a D.

It's not that big a stretch really. You still have your PP QB and your shutdown pair intact and with that being the case, it's probably just "minor retooling"

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Sanderson Zub
Brannstrom XXX
Kleven JBD

It's not that big a stretch really. You still have your PP QB and your shutdown pair intact and with that being the case, it's probably just "minor retooling"
Next year there’s about $12.8 m of projected cap space (per CapFriendly) and 7 players to sign to reach 22 player roster. Pinto will need a new contract and there’s potential signing bonuses ($1 m). So, there’s not much cap space really. If they want to add a good player with a larger contract, like a RD as an example, it will require a subtraction. If they take any cap back in trade or a buyout, things will get even tighter. I’m just adding some info on the theme (cap space) of your post versus saying anything about your post just to be clear.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Next year there’s about $12.8 m of projected cap space (per CapFriendly) and 7 players to sign to reach 22 player roster. Pinto will need a new contract and there’s potential signing bonuses ($1 m). So, there’s not much cap space really. If they want to add a good player with a larger contract, like a RD as an example, it will require a subtraction. If they take any cap back in trade or a buyout, things will get even tighter. I’m just adding some info on the theme (cap space) of your post versus saying anything about your post just to be clear.
They already have 17 guys signed for next year + we can safely assume that Pinto is getting signed. So that's actually 18 guys committed to already. Then they have Crookshank, Kelly, Katchouk and Brannstrom to make decisions on. So I think they have 4 open spots with those 4 names in the mix + whoever else they're looking at for the offseason. Doesn't take into account any trades, obviously.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
They already have 17 guys signed for next year + we can safely assume that Pinto is getting signed. So that's actually 18 guys committed to already. Then they have Crookshank, Kelly, Katchouk and Brannstrom to make decisions on. So I think they have 4 open spots with those 4 names in the mix + whoever else they're looking at for the offseason. Doesn't take into account any trades, obviously.
OK, noted. I think the summary numbers in CapFriendly that appear in the “Roster Statistics” section (mid page) didn’t include Norris & MacEwan, although did take into account their salaries. I think that’s the explanation of the discrepancy between the Roster Size number of 15 presented in CapFriendly and the 17 referenced in your post?

They will need to resign Pinto. If they need to take some salary cap back to move a player, or buy one out, the cap space is going to get squeezed and get tight pretty quickly. That’s really the main message that I was getting across. I generate spreadsheets frequently (about 15 so far) with people’s ideas in them. I’m like everyone else and would like a good RD (and other additions), but it's tougher to accommodate the wish list and make the numbers work than perhaps some think. Again, that’s the main message that I was trying to get across.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Sanderson Zub
Brannstrom XXX
Kleven JBD

If we had had any chance at Hanifin I would have moved both easily and gone after hanifin.

People want to move lots of people but the reality is there aren’t many great players to go around. Sometimes you live with the players you have.. surround them with good support. A good coach and good goaltending and things even out

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
If we had had any chance at Hanifin I would have moved both easily and gone after hanifin.

People want to move lots of people but the reality is there aren’t many great players to go around. Sometimes you live with the players you have.. surround them with good support. A good coach and good goaltending and things even out
This is something I've realized over time.

We know some guys aren't that great. We don't want them. The problem is, the alternative is probably taking on even worse players. The best guys don't want to come to Ottawa. Pro sports is not fair and never will be...some teams have to operate under a handicap and the Sens fall into that category.

This is precisely why the high-risk, asset-heavy trades should be avoided in small market rebuilding teams. Unfortunately, Pierre loved these deals. It's why we are where we are right now.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This is something I've realized over time.

We know some guys aren't that great. We don't want them. The problem is, the alternative is probably taking on even worse players. The best guys don't want to come to Ottawa. Pro sports is not fair and never will be...some teams have to operate under a handicap and the Sens fall into that category.

This is precisely why the high-risk, asset-heavy trades should be avoided in small market rebuilding teams. Unfortunately, Pierre loved these deals. It's why we are where we are right now.
And also. And lot of the guys we think are so much better, really aren’t? Like of course there’s the elite of the elite. But there’s A LOT of guys in the tier below that are good with some warts in their game. The game is like blazing fast right now. There aren’t many perfect d men out there. So the ones that are available, fanbases will find something to.l bitch about as well. And they cost a lot.

The absolute best deal of the decade for me is 2 2nds for toews. Off the top of my head. Deals like that aren’t coming along.

Reactions: DrEasy and Dionysus

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So I said get rid of them both. The 12.6 cap space I referred to is from dumping the 2 of them. That's on top of whatever else is there cap wise. And if you get rid of both some of the cap space has to be used on another D

Reactions: bert

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Sanderson Zub
Brannstrom XXX
Kleven JBD

Might as well get rid of all three though in that case.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
So I said get rid of them both. The 12.6 cap space I referred to is from dumping the 2 of them. That's on top of whatever else is there cap wise. And if you get rid of both some of the cap space has to be used on another D
OK. Got it now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad