Jake's next contract

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Are you planning to keep Sheahan and makeover the D a little?

You can do those things (just about) if you move out Hunwick and send out a top 4 dman in any makeover.

Admittedly, we've got so many wingers that sending one out is just common sense. But we don't have to...

And also, yes, its equally common sense that Sheary's the one to go.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Call me crazy, but I think Jake could get an Ehlers deal (6 mil per for 7 years). And I think he'd deserve it.

Players just don't come into the league and put up playoff numbers like that, Crosby or no Crosby. We prayed the whole Crosby-era for a young, smart, skilled, clutch winger like Guentzel. You lock that f***er up.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Call me crazy, but I think Jake could get an Ehlers deal (6 mil per for 7 years). And I think he'd deserve it.

Players just don't come into the league and put up playoff numbers like that, Crosby or no Crosby. We prayed the whole Crosby-era for a young, smart, skilled, clutch winger like Guentzel. You lock that ****er up.

What are you talking about? Guentzel's a 30-40 point winger on any other team. Anyone can put up points with Crosby bouncing pucks in off his head while they just stand there doing nothing.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If you believe he’s a part of this franchise til the end of Sid/Geno’s time here, then who cares about term.

Offer him 8 years and keep the AAV down as much as possible.

If I’m Guentzel, I’ll take the guaranteed paycheck til I’m 30 and still have a chance to get another big deal in free agency down the line.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd offer Guentzel something close to 5x5 this offseason, and I'd try to get rust at something like 4 years, $3 million per.
Yeah I think that would be ideal for both situations. Find a project on defense, two of them, dump Hunwick for cap and see if Sheary can be moved because man that cap space is gonna be tight.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I’d prefer the bridge contract to keep him a bargain for a few more years through the reminder of Sid and Geno’s “late prime”.

We have much more need for such savings in 19-20 compared to the value of paying a couple of million less in 2025.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I’d prefer the bridge contract to keep him a bargain for a few more years through the reminder of Sid and Geno’s “late prime”.

We have much more need for such savings in 19-20 compared to the value of paying a couple of million less in 2025.

2 year bridge after next year, his last on his entry deal, takes him through the 2020-2021 season. He'd still be 26 with less than 7 years of service, making him a RFA, I believe.

At that point, yeah, he may cost you 6M or 6.5M for the 2021-2022 season . . . Sid will be 34 at the start of that season, and Geno will be 35 and in the last year of his contract.

Reactions: Tender Rip

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

You could probably get a bridge type of AAV on a longterm deal. And you have him around for the rest of his prime.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
What are you talking about? Guentzel's a 30-40 point winger on any other team. Anyone can put up points with Crosby bouncing pucks in off his head while they just stand there doing nothing.

Hell even i can park my lard ass in front of the net and Sid can probably bounce pucks in off my wide ass..:oops:

Reactions: farscape1

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
You could probably get a bridge type of AAV on a longterm deal. And you have him around for the rest of his prime.

I’m talking what Kirk is talking. In three years it wont matter much if we have to give him 7. Far less so if we get another two years first of him being an outright steal.
So - I’n suggesting a solution a’la/in between Kreider and Kucherov. Like 3.5 per for two years. What we save on that compared to a long term deal finances Rust’s well earned raise (8 years at 3.5 would be great with me).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I’m talking what Kirk is talking. In three years it wont matter much if we have to give him 7. Far less so if we get another two years first of him being an outright steal.
So - I’n suggesting a solution a’la/in between Kreider and Kucherov. Like 3.5 per for two years. What we save on that compared to a long term deal finances Rust’s well earned raise (8 years at 3.5 would be great with me).

You'd give Rust 8 years? I like the guy and all, but I'd never be in favor of giving a non-star player that kind of term. That would be similar to giving Tyler Kennedy an 8 year deal right around the 2009 season. He would have still been on the books as recently as the end of last season.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Pay him. Whether Sheary stays or goes depends on Sprong (or if they manage to strike gold in the draft).

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Any chance Edmonton wants him to play with McDavid for their pick if it's high? They seem to be really impatient and may want a "clutch" guy?

What about throwing Nurse into that scenario and us giving something back?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
You'd give Rust 8 years? I like the guy and all, but I'd never be in favor of giving a non-star player that kind of term. That would be similar to giving Tyler Kennedy an 8 year deal right around the 2009 season. He would have still been on the books as recently as the end of last season.

Doesn’t have to be 8. 5 or 6 is fine, but I’d rather give him a long deal than a 3 year one that gets us only 1 UFA year.
Rust epitomizes our game, he is a good/great solution on virtually any line, has proven clutch when stakes were highest and he is an ace PK option. You cannot possible compare to TK. If he can be gotten for 3million like hypothesized, great. Just remember that Hags got 4x4 when UFA.

Everything for me is about maximizing our potential in the next 3-4 years.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Doesn’t have to be 8. 5 or 6 is fine, but I’d rather give him a long deal than a 3 year one that gets us only 1 UFA year.
Rust epitomizes our game, he is a good/great solution on virtual any line, has proven clutch when stakes were huggede and he is an ace PK option. You cannot possible compare to TK. If he can be gotten for 3million like hypothesized, great. Just remember that Hags got 4x4 when UFA having accomplished less and shown less upside.

Well, 4 or 5 years is a far cry from 8, which I had an issue with. An 8 year deal for a middle six forward is, IMO, one that will come back to haunt you. He'll be 30 halfway through the deal. Considering Rust's entire game is built on speed, the moment his speed goes he's probably not going to be that effective.

I just think that you can't go too high with term for guys who aren't star players. The margin for error where guys like that lose even half a step and go from 30-40 point guys to 20-30 point guys for the next half decade is too worrisome to me.

If Rust will sign for 4 years, go for it. Anything longer and I think you're flirting with a contract that could be troublesome about halfway through it.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
-Jake needs locked in. Brassard and Sheahan needs locked in. Id dump Hagelin and Sheary for too much inconsistency. Ill take the 7 million from those 2 and look for an Elite LW or the fastest defensive player I can find. Resign Rust. And we are set for the next 5 years

Reactions: BladeRunner66

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
-Jake needs locked in.

Jake is de facto locked in. He is about to sign his second contract and has no arbitration rights. We want to be reasonable, sure, but reality is he signs or sits out.
Why would we want to limit our cap flexibility in an obvious win-now period to get a bit of discount for a time where we’re most likely a much longer shot/the cap will have increased quite a bit? That’d be the consequence of giving him star money right away.
Surely we should be able to do a Kucherov?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pay him. Whether Sheary stays or goes depends on Sprong (or if they manage to strike gold in the draft).

Sheary going or staying depends on how much we spend on resigning our RFAs a lot more imo. This org could ship out both Sheary and Sprong, and still have a decent array of possible top 9 wing candidates.

Jake is de facto locked in. He is about to sign his second contract and has no arbitration rights. We want to be reasonable, sure, but reality is he signs or sits out.
Why would we want to limit our cap flexibility in an obvious win-now period to get a bit of discount for a time where we’re most likely a much longer shot/the cap will have increased quite a bit? That’d be the consequence of giving him star money right away.
Surely we should be able to do a Kucherov?

The more I think about this, the harder I find it to disagree. The only reason not to do it, imo, is if he'll give you a decent deal signing a long term one in the Autumn but won't sign a bridge deal until the end of the season to give him time to maximise his stats. Which seems unlikely to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warm Cookies

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad