Value of: Jake Virtanen

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Vancouver will wait for a final verdict on virtanen.

If he becomes more consistent within his skill set, he’ll be a far more valuable asset than what they’d get for him via trade at the moment.

He’s got all the elements to take over games... it’s taken him a while to put it together, which is still a work in progress, but the upcoming year should really shed some light on what he’ll develop into..... which imo will be a player somewhere between Raffi Torres and Chris Krieder.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver will wait for a final verdict on virtanen.

If he becomes more consistent within his skill set, he’ll be a far more valuable asset than what they’d get for him via trade at the moment.

He’s got all the elements to take over games... it’s taken him a while to put it together, which is still a work in progress, but the upcoming year should really shed some light on what he’ll develop into..... which imo will be a player somewhere between Raffi Torres and Chris Krieder.
Why not. You have teams hoping Vancouver has lost faith in him so they can get him on the cheap. If he develops, you got a player. If not, no real harm as another team won't make him a star.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Vancouver would be dumb to deal him now. They are all in. He looked better last year and they might as well see if he becomes a useful 3rd liner instead of shipping him out for some spare parts or another teams bust. That kind of move can happen if he falters during the season.

history is not kind to the notion of power forwards staying with the team that drafts them

fans will turn on these kids as they struggle in early years

once a player gets booed by hometown... becomes much more difficult to develop

of course history shows us dozens of cases where the young pf never pans out

boston struck gold trading for cam neely... not so much when we traded for landon wilson

someone somewhere will trade for virtanen... but if vancouver holds onto him too long i could see them devalualing him to the point he just becomes the next warren rychel

if i could get a first and anything... id move him

even a second and a prospect with nhl ability would have to get my attention

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
It would still a high asking price. The last 20-30 games last year he really figured out the speed part of his game and started to create havoc. He can shoot and can still put it all together. Worth keeping still

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Nah. He's not worth too much to anyone other than Vancouver right now.
I'd rather take the chance that he might turn into the guy we wanted at the draft over a 2nd round pick that will most likely never make it in the NHL. Virtanen is already a very good 4th liner or an average 3rd liner. Something clicked at the end of the season and he is finally starting to figure it out.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He’ll carve out a career somewhere like MPS or Kassian. Bottom 6 grinder used for energy. Such a waste of a high 2014 pick like the other two I mentioned.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Lol no one in this thread watched Jake the 2nd half of the season. Watch for a breakout season next year.

Were not trading him. Especially for any of the trash offers in this thread.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
We don’t really consider Virtanen to be a long shot. If he plays as good as he played at the end of last season through the last 20 games then he is a young cost controlled 3rd liner. If he improves, then who knows...

I personally still see enough to expect a second line power forward out of him, so there’s really no point in trading him just as he’s starting to figure it out but still while his value is low.

I’d move him for a defenseman prospect with upside, but that’s about it.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Soooo his full potential is 5 points in 20 games (his final 20 games)?

Still wondering where this "huge" potential is being shown.

“Huge” is an over statement, but he showed the potential of a 20 goal, 45 point power forward who can be a difference maker in all aspects: a game changing rush, a big hit, a goal, etc. If you define that as huge, then sure, it certainly can be.

Even if he improves marginally he’ll be a high end 3rd liner who can create 15 goals at even strength through his speed and driving the net. That’s already probably worth more than a 2nd rounder, especially considering he’s a cost controlled home town kid.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
1) We don't own anyone with that name
2) If you mean Yamamoto we definitely wouldn't.

Seconded

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Virtanen but not for the price of Yammer. Virtanen seems more like a 3rd and a not great prospect type of target.

I think they'd be wise to just hang on to him.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Seconded

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Virtanen but not for the price of Yammer. Virtanen seems more like a 3rd and a not great prospect type of target.

I think they'd be wise to just hang on to him.

Calgary gave up a 2nd (47th overall) + Jokipakka (nothing) for Lazar.

Virtanen would get a package like this IMO in the right circumstances. No more.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
“Huge” is an over statement, but he showed the potential of a 20 goal, 45 point power forward who can be a difference maker in all aspects: a game changing rush, a big hit, a goal, etc. If you define that as huge, then sure, it certainly can be.

Even if he improves marginally he’ll be a high end 3rd liner who can create 15 goals at even strength through his speed and driving the net. That’s already probably worth more than a 2nd rounder, especially considering he’s a cost controlled home town kid.

I mean maybe...but 5 points in 20 games projects to be a 20pt 4th line player, and this was apparently the best he's shown to date?

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Neither do we though so why would we sell so low? He'll be 22 at the start of next season, we all know power forwards take longer to hit their stride. Jake started making strides near the end of next season, I'd rather take a wait and see approach with him unless someone overpays.

No. They don't.

Prove me wrong.

Reactions: Canucks1096

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
He's on his way to developing into a decent middle six forward within the next couple of years. There's no point in giving up on him just because he's not going to live up to his draft position.

Maybe on a bottom 5 team. Not a contender.

And maaaybe? Not sure in what world he's a 2nd liner on any team.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
2nd + B prospect.

nucks probably hold him though and pray he pans out.

they missed the boat badly with nylander,ehlers and larkin on board.
luckily they had a home run with boeser because the year after they left tkachuk,keller,sergachev and mcavoy on the board to take juolevi. this team could already be a force if they knew how to draft

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
He's on his way to developing into a decent middle six forward within the next couple of years. There's no point in giving up on him just because he's not going to live up to his draft position.

he just hit a career high with 20pts...draft + 4
need to show a lot more than that to be considered a potential middle 6 forward
40+pts next year would be a huge step

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
2nd + B prospect.

nucks probably hold him though and pray he pans out.

they missed the boat badly with nylander,ehlers and larkin on board.
luckily they had a home run with boeser because the year after they left tkachuk,keller,sergachev and mcavoy on the board to take juolevi. this team could already be a force if they knew how to draft
No one was going to take Larkin @ 6. Of the publicly-available draft rankings lists (like TSN, Sportsnet, Redline Report, etc.), he was ranked anywhere from 9th to 26th with an average of 16.38 and a median of 15. Most mock drafts had him in the mid-to-late teens.

Nylander, Ehlers were realistic options (Nylander, by all accounts, was the most highly-regarded prospect of the 3). Sadly, neither of them were born in the Greater Vancouver area.

Based on median draft ranking (of publicly-available lists) with average draft ranking as the tie breaker, the top 10 heading into the draft were:
Ekblad
Reinhart
Bennett
Draisaitl
Dal Colle
Nylander
Ehlers
Ritchie
Fleury
Virtanen

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
No one was going to take Larkin @ 6. Of the publicly-available draft rankings lists (like TSN, Sportsnet, Redline Report, etc.), he was ranked anywhere from 9th to 26th with an average of 16.38 and a median of 15. Most mock drafts had him in the mid-to-late teens.

Nylander, Ehlers were realistic options (Nylander, by all accounts, was the most highly-regarded prospect of the 3). Sadly, neither of them were born in the Greater Vancouver area.

Based on median draft ranking (of publicly-available lists) with average draft ranking as the tie breaker, the top 10 heading into the draft were:
Ekblad
Reinhart
Bennett
Draisaitl
Dal Colle
Nylander
Ehlers
Ritchie
Fleury
Virtanen

The leafs were high on Larkin according to bobby mac, so it wouldnt have been surprising if he went at 8 had Nylander been picked earlier.

Larkin might have been a reach at 6, but Ehlers and Nylander were the obvious choice. they went with the hometown boy and got burned badly.

Pettersson,Nylander,Horvat and Boeser would be a helluva forward core to build around. sprinkle in a guy like wahlstrom or tkachuk and they wouldnt have any problems scoring

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad