Rumor: Jake Virtanen Trade Rumor Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Friedman just said they've been trying to make the Virtanen for Heinen trade but need to make the money work. It would seem to me that it will eventually get worked out and some small other adds happen from either team.

could they do heinen+a young player or someone else for virtanen+ahl player+roussel?

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Aquilini is obviously the puppet master here, why else would Benning's regime still be allowed to make trades.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Nope. Anaheim is already using LTIR to be cap compliant, so they are basically in the same boat as we are. Salaries have to be pretty close to make it work.

damn. so jake for heinen 1 for 1 swap or maybe anahiem adds. a young player steel? or terry

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
God awful rumor and return.

I'm as disappointed in JV as anyone but I'd rather not, if we are still stuck with this incompetence that passes off as management. I wouldn't trust them with the additional cap space and would much rather they deal with their self-inflicted wounds this offseason.

Flip JV for a decent pick to a team who wants to take a flyer on this guy or just ride him for another year to see if he magically turns it around to get a better return for, or even retain.

Reactions: Ozone and Nucker101

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I swear if Jethro flips Virtanen for another marginal former Bruins winger, I'm going on a prolonged Canuck strike.

Virtanen coming off an 18-goal season, but gets traded at the bottom of the market for a guy who is basically expansion draft fodder. What a useless GM.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
As much as I have disliked his play this year, hes better than Heinen. You dont just throw away players you dont like. You have to get a reasonable return where it's possible and for Virtanen, Heinen isnt it.

Reactions: Nucker101

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
I swear if Jethro flips Virtanen for another marginal former Bruins winger, I'm going on a prolonged Canuck strike.

Virtanen coming off an 18-goal season, but gets traded at the bottom of the market for a guy who is basically expansion draft fodder. What a useless GM.
Why would you trade a guy coming off an 18 goal season who was finally looking like he was piecing his game together?

It's totally on Virtanen that he fell short this season. You can't blame Benning for not being able to get a good return right now.

There was more value in seeing if Virtanen can become a top 6 player going into this season than trading him. Especially after signing him to a new deal.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
As much as I have disliked his play this year, hes better than Heinen. You dont just throw away players you dont like. You have to get a reasonable return where it's possible and for Virtanen, Heinen isnt it.
At least Heinen plays with intensity and isn't a liability defensively. I'd rather have that than Virtanen.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
EvIa_85UYAUfTP3

Aquaboy needs to put a stop to any more crazy ideas - from a single digit IQ moron desperately trying to hold on to his fleeting job.

Enough is Enough... before he does more damage.

Nov 1, 2011
The worst part in all of this is that Benning gave Virtanen $2.5 million a season when that money could have helped bring back either Toffoli or Tanev during the off-season.

Tanev/Toffoli or Schmidt/Virtanen for essentially the same cap hit...:facepalm:

I take Schmidt and Virtanen over Tanev and Toffoli.

Schmidt is the best asset in that deal by quite a fair margin.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Why would you trade a guy coming off an 18 goal season who was finally looking like he was piecing his game together?

It's totally on Virtanen that he fell short this season. You can't blame Benning for not being able to get a good return right now.

There was more value in seeing if Virtanen can become a top 6 player going into this season than trading him. Especially after signing him to a new deal.

You're kind of forgetting that he then proceeded to show up to the bubble out of shape and put up like 4 points in the playoffs. Dude came to camp out of shape twice in the same season. Take the 18 goals as a blessing and cut him loose. It's a hockey team, not a daycare, and Virtanen is overwhelmingly unlikely to outperform the headaches he brings.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Nov 1, 2011
Canucks should trade Pearson first. Seems like a lot of teams are looking for secondary scoring - hopefully we could grab a late 1st from AZ or TO.

If Pearson is gone, Jake moves into the top 6. See if he can do anything to increase his value.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Exactly what I said earlier:

This is either management targetting Heinen.

Or

Management being given the green light by ownership to make room for the Hughes and Pettersson extensions. This would lead me to believe FA does indeed have full trust in Benning.

Bad news either way.
I interpret it as Benning is in a badly weakened position. Aqua will allow him to make dollar-neutral moves to try and salvage the season (ie. get into the playoffs) but nothing more than that.

ANA, who is also against the cap, probably wanted some compensation for JV's second year where he's owed 3.4M and that would make the trade no longer dollar-neutral.

Long story short, Benning is probably out at the end of the year. He's out because there are no dollar-neutral moves (or any moves, really) that can get the team into the playoffs. And he's out because nixing the trade over small dollar amounts strongly suggests that Aqua has no interest in throwing out good money with bad.

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Should have been traded in the off-season or the minute Hoglander showed up to camp. Might have gotten close to what some still think he’s actually worth.

Reactions: Luckylarry

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I take Schmidt and Virtanen over Tanev and Toffoli.

Schmidt is the best asset in that deal by quite a fair margin.
And that doesn’t factor in the term on Tanev which is the biggest problem with his deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad