Rumor: Jake Virtanen Trade Rumor Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'm not complaining about Heinen.

I am complaining about the fact that:
1) This trade is being worked on in March 2021 and not any time in 2020 when Virtanen had higher value.
2) They have done nothing in recent weeks to build Virtanen up, or put him in prime situations to build up his stats

Lack of vision and foresight.
Last off season was the biggest disaster ever for us. Should have, like many were screaming from the roof tops to do, used Jake, ?Gaud, and Demko as sweetener to dump bad contracts of Loui, ?Sutter, Rooster, Beagle, Baertchi, or Benn. Just horrid.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Can I ask the people who say that Heinen isn't very good, why they say that? I'm trying to ask this question in the best possible way and I don't want it to come off as being a smart ass question, but is it because of looking at stats or do you watch a lot of Ducks games and/or watched a lot of Bruins games when he was there? I could tell you basically nothing about Heinen because 90% of the NHL games I watch are Canucks games and this is some average player who played in the east for most of his career. I have a bit of an idea about a lot of players around the league but it is based a lot on a general consensus of media and team sources, stat watching, and the random game I take in of each team because, well, I can't watch every single game of every team in the league.

I guess this is maybe a general question to anyone who has a strong opinion on random players from different teams. Again, I don't mean it to be disrespectful, but I've just always wondered how people seem to know a lot about how good or bad players similar to Heinen are.

Reactions: geebaan and WTG

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Can I ask the people who say that Heinen isn't very good, why they say that? I'm trying to ask this question in the best possible way and I don't want it to come off as being a smart ass question, but is it because of looking at stats or do you watch a lot of Ducks games and/or watched a lot of Bruins games when he was there? I could tell you basically nothing about Heinen because 90% of the NHL games I watch are Canucks games and this is some average player who played in the east for most of his career. I have a bit of an idea about a lot of players around the league but it is based a lot on a general consensus of media and team sources, stat watching, and the random game I take in of each team because, well, I can't watch every single game of every team in the league.

I guess this is maybe a general question to anyone who has a strong opinion on random players from different teams. Again, I don't mean it to be disrespectful, but I've just always wondered how people seem to know a lot about how good or bad players similar to Heinen are.
They don't. But they like the dopamine hit that comes from throwing out a hot take.

Reactions: Stories Tales Lies

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Not a fan of the trade if it's for heinen. It's a little strange for a player to be traded after playing probably his best game of the year while finally playing in the top 6 at his natural position

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I don't care what happens with Jake but the timing of this is hilarious. He just came off a good season and would have had value in summer, before being signed to the bad contract. Now he's in his worst slump since coming to the league and they sell.

Buy high, sell low, never use any foresight...

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I don't care what happens with Jake but the timing of this is hilarious. He just came off a good season and would have had value in summer, before being signed to the bad contract. Now he's in his worst slump since coming to the league and they sell.

Buy high, sell low, never use any foresight...
I'm not defending Benning on this one as I absolutely hated the pick at the time (wanted Ehlers). But Virtanen's value wasn't remotely high last year. He did most of his scoring in the first half of the year and then went predictably quiet.

Now, what should have happened last off season was buyouts and using the Virtanen's and Gaudettes of the world as sweetener to other teams for taking on our shitty cap. However, the Aquillini's decided to change their tact and went with full on austerity.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

I don't understand it. His underlying numbers are really good this year glancing at them.

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I don't know but it's kind of a sideways deal at best. Ideally you trade him in the summer for picks/prospects, like Pittsburgh traded a 1st for Kasperi Kapanen so you'd have to think Virtanen could get a 2nd, then use the money saved to retain Stecher or something. Instead Benning signed him to a poor contract, Green barely plays him now, and looks like we're going to get a sideways deal that probably doesn't accomplish anything.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
who's on their way out?
There have been rumors both Gaudette and Virtanen are on their way out.

Though, I'd love to see Pearson flipped for a 2nd and Gaudette tried in his 2nd line winger spot with Horvat and Hoglander. It can't hurt, right?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
if we’d have traded him a year ago for ritchie everybody is happy except boston, which is a win itself

of course it went down this way instead

of course

edit: actually if you think about it, jake doesn’t need to unbust for this to be another cam neely situation. if it does turn out to be jake for heinen, ritchie is the neely here. in this analogy jake is the sandlak.

Last edited:

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I don't know but it's kind of a sideways deal at best. Ideally you trade him in the summer for picks/prospects, like Pittsburgh traded a 1st for Kasperi Kapanen so you'd have to think Virtanen could get a 2nd, then use the money saved to retain Stecher or something. Instead Benning signed him to a poor contract, Green barely plays him now, and looks like we're going to get a sideways deal that probably doesn't accomplish anything.
I will say that Gillis was much smarter in that when he knew he was trading a player (such as Hodgson) he put him in a position to succeed so he could extract as much value as he could. Benning just isn't smart enough to do things like that. His asset management is an absolute masterclass in what not to do.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
There have been rumors both Gaudette and Virtanen are on their way out.

Though, I'd love to see Pearson flipped for a 2nd and Gaudette tried in his 2nd line winger spot with Horvat and Hoglander. It can't hurt, right?

Gaudette sucks. Literally excels at nothing.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I'm not defending Benning on this one as I absolutely hated the pick at the time (wanted Ehlers). But Virtanen's value wasn't remotely high last year. He did most of his scoring in the first half of the year and then went predictably quiet.

Now, what should have happened last off season was buyouts and using the Virtanen's and Gaudettes of the world as sweetener to other teams for taking on our shitty cap. However, the Aquillini's decided to change their tact and went with full on austerity.
I mean, I wasn't saying his value was high in summer either, but it was definitely higher coming off an 18 goal season than it is now after 1 point in 19 games. I agree with you his last season wasn't great, even when he was scoring they were fluky goals.

I just think the timing of the trade is funny.

Ultimately it won't matter if we get good value from it, but we all know that despite being a ~2% chance to make playoffs this year and despite that our #1 need is futures either to use for dumping bad contracts in summer or to set up for the real window in a few years, it'll still be a "hockey trade" because we need help right now!!!

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Heinen is an RFA after this season, which alone makes it worth the while. We have another cap crunch right around the corner and absolutely have to dump Virtanen. Yes, Jimbo was a dumbass for not trading him when his stats were padded but even dumber would be to hang onto him then potentially lose a impactful player to the cap.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
jake might have the worst mixtape in NHL history. He only scores ugly goals. Can't pass. Stickhandles at ryan johnson level. Hasn't hit anyone since mcdavid in a rookie tournament game in 2015. His most notable career achievements are getting curved by chloe moretz and a twitch streamer. anyway I hope they trade him so I don't have to watch him again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad