Player Discussion Jake Virtanen, Pt. XXII: 'Tis no man — 'tis a relentless redemption machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Vancouver media has a weird hate boner for Virtanen. They’re acting like he’s Brandon Prust.
Like, Jake provides multiple times the value of Loui in all aspects of the game outside pK (which I am not convinced Loui is really much better) at a fraction of the cost, and Jake has not gone public with criticizing the coach like Loui did (which is funny, because the coach gives Loui preferential treatment, while screwing over Jake).

Clearly there are off ice issues, but like we saw with Kassian, a good management team fixes those issues to at least get the most beneficial outcome - instead of giving away a 5th round pick to get a cancer on the team.

Reactions: MarkMM and vanuck

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jake and the Canucks both need a change of scenery imo. If the rumor mill is remotely accurate, there's been quite a bit of interest around the league. And that's not surprising.

A big, powerful skating forward who hits a ton (when he feels like it) and coming off an 18-goal season--those kind of big wingers don't grow on trees.

The 'spin' from some quarters who should know better is that the best he'll fetch is a fourth round draft pick, or even more bizarre, the Canucks won't even qualify him in a week.

That would be a monumental waste of an asset they drafted and developed. My only hope is that if does get traded, it's to an Eastern Conference team. Because these are the type of deals that you can live to regret, much like that ridiculous Kassian trade.

Reactions: MarkMM

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Jake and the Canucks both need a change of scenery imo. If the rumor mill is remotely accurate, there's been quite a bit of interest around the league. And that's not surprising.

A big, powerful skating forward who hits a ton (when he feels like it) and coming off an 18-goal season--those kind of big wingers don't grow on trees.

The 'spin' from some quarters who should know better is that the best he'll fetch is a fourth round draft pick, or even more bizarre, the Canucks won't even qualify him in a week.

That would be a monumental waste of an asset they drafted and developed. My only hope is that if does get traded, it's to an Eastern Conference team. Because these are the type of deals that you can live to regret, much like that ridiculous Kassian trade.
Do you think maybe the media is doing a reverse-hype on the return for a Virtanen trade, just so the fans would have a lower expectation so when a trade does happen and it is a middling return, nobody will be angry?
Kind of like the Myers negotiation, where originally it was reported to be around $7-8m per, so that when it was finalized at $6m fans were "ok" with it?
I just find it too weird that a big and fast player with a heavy shot that gets 18 goals in a shortened season, is being viewed as nearly "value-less" in this market. Something strange is going on.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Do you think maybe the media is doing a reverse-hype on the return for a Virtanen trade, just so the fans would have a lower expectation so when a trade does happen and it is a middling return, nobody will be angry?
Kind of like the Myers negotiation, where originally it was reported to be around $7-8m per, so that when it was finalized at $6m fans were "ok" with it?
I just find it too weird that a big and fast player with a heavy shot that gets 18 goals in a shortened season, is being viewed as nearly "value-less" in this market. Something strange is going on.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the Canucks organization is leaking the words "4th round pick" so that when the trade comes around and it's actually a second rounder they get everyone is moderately content.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I suspect that a 2nd round pick is on the table for Virtanen. Wasn't there talk about Benning possibly getting a 2nd round pick?

Reactions: David71

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
In a market where Ryan Donato (same age, worse track record, worse player) just got a very high 3rd rounder, Virtanen should be garnering a first in return.

I don't think Donato has the arbitration threat that Virtanen has no?, but yeah we should be getting at least near 1st in value

CantStoptheBrock

Jun 26, 2020
I don't think Donato has the arbitration threat that Virtanen has no?, but yeah we should be getting at least near 1st in value
Yeah, take that opinion the main boards please, for entertainment's sake.

We got J.T. Miller (one of the top wingers in the league last season) for a first, and people here are still trying to argue we lost that trade. Virtanen for a first would be an utter coup; a 2nd is more than enough value for an obvious head-case who was healthy scratched to open the playoffs.

This seems like the Hansen trade where some established completely unreasonable expectations for the player's value in order to enable further Benning-bashing when the trade went down. Some were similarly demanding a first for a player who would go on to score 4 more NHL goals before exiting the league.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015

We got J.T. Miller (one of the top wingers in the league last season) for a first, and people here are still trying to argue we lost that trade. Virtanen for a first would be an utter coup; a 2nd is more than enough value for an obvious head-case who was healthy scratched to open the playoffs.

This seems like the Hansen trade where some established completely unreasonable expectations for the player's value in order to enable further Benning-bashing when the trade went down. Some were similarly demanding a first for a player who would go on to score 4 more NHL goals before exiting the league.

I'm not trying to do any Benning bashing wtf are you going on about and if I remember most people were fine with the value of the Hansen trade, but were arguing for picks rather then prospects.

Maybe I should have rephrased it; Benning should be aiming for a 1st in value, but a 2nd and 4th or a pick +b/c level prospect is fine as well I think. If you're not getting that might as well package to get rid of bad a contract or keep him

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

Yeah, same old putting out a high value for trade chip so he can argue how team got screwed with actual return. I would be hestitant to trade Virtanan for less than a high second, Toffoli though a better fit will not score that much more for the the 2 million plus more you have to pay. The biggest plus is Virtanen gets you an asset while Toffoli goes away for nothing.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
If Josh Anderson can get Domi and a third surely Virtanen can get a high 2nd or late 1st?

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Can they even afford to trade him at this point?

Their forward depth was already quite poor. If we lose both Toffoli and Virtanen then the roster starts to look pretty bleak up front.

Reactions: iFan and geebaan

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
In a market where Ryan Donato (same age, worse track record, worse player) just got a very high 3rd rounder, Virtanen should be garnering a first in return.

What should JT Miller get?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What should JT Miller get?

As I said repeatedly at the time, Jim Benning should have actually negotiated (instead of taking TB's first offer as reported by IMac) and had the #1 pick lottery protected. The problem wasn't the #1 pick, the problem was recklessly trading a potential lottery pick when you're a non-playoff team. It's the exact same mindset that caused the Cam Neely disaster.

The fact it worked out doesn't mean it wasn't a stupid risk that shouldn't have been taken.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
As I said repeatedly at the time, Jim Benning should have actually negotiated (instead of taking TB's first offer as reported by IMac) and had the #1 pick lottery protected. The problem wasn't the #1 pick, the problem was recklessly trading a potential lottery pick when you're a non-playoff team. It's the exact same mindset that caused the Cam Neely disaster.

The fact it worked out doesn't mean it wasn't a stupid risk that shouldn't have been taken.

Umm... it was lottery protected. I have no idea why you keep sticking with the same script.

Let's make this simple for you. If the Canucks missed the playoffs and participated in the draft "lottery" would the Canucks' 1st round pick have gone to TB? No? Why? Because it was lottery protected!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Umm... it was lottery protected. I have no idea why you keep sticking with the same script.

Let's make this simple for you. If the Canucks missed the playoffs and participated in the draft "lottery" would the Canucks' 1st round pick have gone to TB? No? Why? Because it was lottery protected!

And then what happens the 2nd year if the team stinks?

Reactions: Javaman and timw33
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad