Player Discussion Jake Virtanen, Pt. XXII: 'Tis no man — 'tis a relentless redemption machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
When you break down the two teams still alive in the Western Conference, one observation springs to the forefront. These are big, fast teams with a lot of size throughout their lineups.

Following a trend blindly rarely gets you the desired results, Aquilini and his Bruins obsession are a good example. Top teams create trends not follow them.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
When you break down the two teams still alive in the Western Conference, one observation springs to the forefront. These are big, fast teams with a lot of size throughout their lineups.

That's interesting because I wouldn't classify DAL as fast. Nor would I classify NYI and TBay as big teams. VGK is where your description fits.

Should’ve traded for Domi when his value was at an all time low in Arizona.

Domi is another 50~ point player at 5m~/per AAV. Just sign Toffoli if you want a 2RW.

Don't get me wrong, he would complement Horvat well, but its not worth the stretch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What about Jake straight up for Pool Party? Bad idea, or a really REALLY bad idea?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I don't understand the joke.

Pool Party = Puuljujarvi(sp?) if I’m not mistaken.

I think at this point if we are trading Jake, I would either like a comparable young defender, or that he be packaged with some salary to dispose of to clear cap space.

For the record, I don’t think we should give up on him. But I think the organization is done with him.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
I’d probably take a chance on Puljujarvi. I already know what I’m getting out of Virtanen - a lazy, out of shape hockey player year in and year out.

We don’t know what Puljujarvi is yet. With his new hips and more experience playing in Finland, he could be a better player this time around

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I’d probably take a chance on Puljujarvi. I already know what I’m getting out of Virtanen - a lazy, out of shape hockey player year in and year out.

We don’t know what Puljujarvi is yet. With his new hips and more experience playing in Finland, he could be a better player this time around

They honestly both suffer the same affliction. Lack of hockey sense.

Raw ability and size are there. They are both “wildcard” type players at best.

Pulju still intrigues me at least a little bit, but I guess somebody who doesn’t watch Jake regularly might say the same.

RainbowDeathBunny

Apr 27, 2007
Virtanen >>>>>> Puljujarvi. Easily. Very easily. And I'm honestly not even that big a Virtanen fan.

I haven’t had a chance to watch Puljujarvi much, especially since he left the NHL. Mind elaborating on what makes you say that? I’ve heard he’s progressed since getting more experience in Finland, but not sure how he still compares to Jake at this point.

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Puljujarvi hasn’t proven he can play at an NHL level, or that he can be a part of the team. What sets us and the leafs apart is the guys fighting for the crest on the front of their jerseys, not for the name on the back. He doesn’t strike me as that player.

Virtanen scored at a 20 goal pace in the best league in the world, albeit he was very streaky.

Most I’d do for Pool Party is a low pick and underachieving prospect, or low pick and over achieving lesser prospect. Especially if we’re trading a specimen like him to a division rival.

ie/
Gadj (like him a lot) + 5th Or
Jasek (really like him a lot) + 4th

Oilers can find better elsewhere.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Puljujarvi hasn’t proven he can play at an NHL level, or that he can be a part of the team. What sets us and the leafs apart is the guys fighting for the crest on the front of their jerseys, not for the name on the back. He doesn’t strike me as that player.

Virtanen scored at a 20 goal pace in the best league in the world, albeit he was very streaky.

Most I’d do for Pool Party is a low pick and underachieving prospect, or low pick and over achieving lesser prospect. Especially if we’re trading a specimen like him to a division rival.

ie/
Gadj (like him a lot) + 5th Or
Jasek (really like him a lot) + 4th

Oilers can find better elsewhere.
Pool Party could be expansion draft fodder too.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I haven’t had a chance to watch Puljujarvi much, especially since he left the NHL. Mind elaborating on what makes you say that? I’ve heard he’s progressed since getting more experience in Finland, but not sure how he still compares to Jake at this point.
PP's been progressing in Finland, Jake's been progressing in the NHL. Plain as that. However disappointing Virtanen's progress has been relative to his draft position, he's at least a 20-20 NHLer. That's a height PP hasn't even come close to hitting. And I'm sick of the Canucks scooping up other teams' highly drafted busted prospects.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've never understood the fascination and obsession with Jake Virtanen in this market....is it because he was a sixth overall pick?....or that he was a local kid? Has his career been a model of consistency? Obviously not. But when you look at the careers of a lot of top-10 picks around the league, it's no better or no worse than most.

He's basically coming off a 20-goal season and even if his contract goes to arbitration as an RFA, the most he'll top out at is $3m a season. For context, that's the same money Beagle and Roussel are earning; a million and half less than Sutter; and three million less than the press-box boy Eriksson. And they basically contribute next to nothing night after night in the regular season or the playoffs.

Benning went on the post-season presser saying he expected 'more' from Jake in these playoffs. But what about the other guys he signed as UFA's who've basically flopped. Do they get a free pass just because if he admitted they were bad, it would reflect poorly on the GM?

By all means deal him, if it will somehow improve the team. But this GM's record of extracting equal value from other organizations in these deals doesn't inspire much confidence from me.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Well now we know the price. Virtanen and McCann have followed pretty much identical paths, their last contracts were the same, their performance after those contracts have been the same, and now McCann signed 2 years at 2.94M.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Well now we know the price. Virtanen and McCann have followed pretty much identical paths, their last contracts were the same, their performance after those contracts have been the same, and now McCann signed 2 years at 2.94M.

McCann being a center vs. Virtanen being a winger will play a factor here (IMO).

I think Virtanen's RFA deal will be worth somewhere between $2.5 and $2.75m for 1 or 2 years.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
McCann being a center vs. Virtanen being a winger will play a factor here (IMO).

I think Virtanen's RFA deal will be worth somewhere between $2.5 and $2.75m for 1 or 2 years.

I actually feel like Jake may take a one year show me home town deal to stay in Vancouver. No basis, just a guess though. Not Kevin LeBlanc stupid but like $2 million for 1 year.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I actually feel like Jake may take a one year show me home town deal to stay in Vancouver. No basis, just a guess though. Not Kevin LeBlanc stupid but like $2 million for 1 year.
What’s better for our team?
Jake at 3 million, or Tofu at 5 million?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad