Player Discussion Jake Virtanen, Pt. XXII: 'Tis no man — 'tis a relentless redemption machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
McCann being a center vs. Virtanen being a winger will play a factor here (IMO).

I think Virtanen's RFA deal will be worth somewhere between $2.5 and $2.75m for 1 or 2 years.

Yep. And production wise, McCann also had a better season in 18-19.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rumor du jour has the Canucks talking trade with Boston for Virtanen. Maybe the B's are hoping to catch lightning a bottle twice with a second Cam Neely trade?

I have a feeling the Canucks will end up with Brandon Carlo. I remember some posters were afraid Benning was going to draft him in 2015. Lucky they grabbed Boeser instead.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Sekeres said yesterday he would trade Virtanen for a 4th round pick. Yes these morons actually get paid to say this stuff.

And yes I turned off the radio after he said it.

Reactions: sting101

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sekeres said yesterday he would trade Virtanen for a 4th round pick. Yes these morons actually get paid to say this stuff.

Yes there are also morons on other sites who're speculating the Canucks simply walk away from Virtanen and fail to qualify him as an RFA.

I swear if the Canucks lose Virtanen for nothing, Benning would deserve to walk the plank. I mean he's on a cost-controlled contract when he eventually signs and he's coming off an 18 goal season. If he can't get decent value for him in a trade, then it's time for a new gig for the GM.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Rumor du jour has the Canucks talking trade with Boston for Virtanen. Maybe the B's are hoping to catch lightning a bottle twice with a second Cam Neely trade?

I have a feeling the Canucks will end up with Brandon Carlo. I remember some posters were afraid Benning was going to draft him in 2015. Lucky they grabbed Boeser instead.
Jake for Carlo works for me. But if Benning can use Jake as sweetener to dump Loui, that works better. Rather clear 9 million in cap (Jake’s likely 3 plus Loui’s 6) than have Carlo.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
JV for Carlo could work, but it really depends on the likely term for Carlo's next contract.

I am on board with this trade. I don't think it depends on Carlo's next contract at all. The main concern is whether we are getting a top 4 shutdown Dman back. If we are, he'll be an asset who is 2 years away from being an UFA after his current contract ends. If we aren't, then we're looking at a qualifying offer of $3.5M a year later. The Bruins (at least Bruins fans) appear to have been very high on Carlo prior to the play-in.

So I actually like to see a Virtanen for Carlo trade as it potentially addresses the issues we have on the right side with Tanev likely leaving.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
You are wayyyy off on this. No chance JV fetches Carlo. His value is a 2nd round pick at best.
Agreed. After the Staal dumperoo it looks like a second round pick is the cost to dump one year of a guy about 4-5 million. Maybe Jake as sweetener to dump Sutter is fair value for Jake?

Reactions: HockeyWooot

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Sekeras is cringe

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Can you link this radio hit please? Which hour was it?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Keep a cost controlled young third liner like Jake
If Jake would take a deal that keeps him cost controlled 2.5 mil/yr. then yes he’s worth keeping. He’s going to get at least a million more than that on arbitration. Would we rather Jake at 3.5 million, or Tofu at 5 million? For 1.5 million more on the cap is there any doubt?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Every single one of Vancouver’s centres has scored more goals as a line playing without Virtanen then they have with him over the last two seasons.

Even if you were to remove last season from the equation and only focus on this year’s breakout campaign, the same fact remains true.

Harman Dayal

Re-sign or trade? Analyzing what the Canucks should do with Jake Virtanen

It would seem that, despite Jake having a "breakout season", his impact on the ice was still the same old same old. This was a belief I've held all year, but Harman puts it very nicely in numbers.

Reactions: Canucks1096

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Can you link this radio hit please? Which hour was it?

It was very early on in the show. In the first 30 mins I’d day. Soon after the “Welcome Matt.”

He quote was essentially: “I’d do cartwheels down Robson if I could could a 2nd for JV. I’d also trade him for a 3rd. And you know what, I’d probably even trade him for a 4th.”

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It was very early on in the show. In the first 30 mins I’d day. Soon after the “Welcome Matt.”

He quote was essentially: “I’d do cartwheels down Robson if I could could a 2nd for JV. I’d also trade him for a 3rd. And you know what, I’d probably even trade him for a 4th.”

Cue the talk of media helping Benning set up the environment where trading JV for a late 2nd is a massive win.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Cue the talk of media helping Benning set up the environment where trading JV for a late 2nd is a massive win.
The Canucks clearly leaked the offer of a 4th.

The truth is that the team would never pursue a 4th round pick. John Weisbrod has never been photographed standing next to any player drafted in the 4th round.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Vancouver media has a weird hate boner for Virtanen. They’re acting like he’s Brandon Prust.
Jake seems like such a fun loving young guy. Can’t help but like him, or at least what we get to know of him. It’s too bad his lack of professionalism (off ice commitment to fitness, diet, and training to be his best) gets in the way of him being the best player he can be. I think it’s the frustration some media and fans feel about the difference between Jake’s natural gifts and his performance that are the issue. As a person, Jake comes across as A-1.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
When was the last offer sheet? Maybe some GM sees the size,speed and shot and takes a swing? Compensation for his expected contract would be a 2nd

Im reaching here.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad