Player Discussion Jake Virtanen, Pt. XXI

Jakes point totals for this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I mean... the select fans who have argued that he's now projecting to be more valuable than the guys he's always compared with (Ehlers/Nylander) and is for some reason assumed to be a playoff performer are clearly overrating him. I don't know how anyone can argue against that.

That said, I don't think that small faction of posters is sufficient for determining if a player is over or underrated. Feels more like isolated cases of frustrated reactionary overcompensation for years of criticism over a player rather than an actual commonly held belief. Most fans have been more realistic than that and are just happy that he's back to progressing well.

Last edited:

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Virtanen’s “physicality” is grossly overrated but his defensive play and ability to drive possession is underrated, those are actually way more important aspects of ice hockey too.

Yeah his physicality or destroying opponents on the forecheck isn’t really as prevalent as many like to claim, it’s why the comparisons to Wilson don’t make a ton of sense.

Not saying he’ll never become a player who uses his physicality shift in shift out but right now that isn’t really part of his identity.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Yeah his physicality or destroying opponents on the forecheck isn’t really as prevalent as many like to claim, it’s why the comparisons to Wilson don’t make a ton of sense.

Not saying he’ll never become a player who uses his physicality shift in shift out but right now that isn’t really part of his identity.

It's definitely a significant component of his identity, just isn't the defining component people thought it was gonna be...
His identity has shifted to his importance and ability defensively which is an awesome development.

Reactions: EP40

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Again. You can be a good player and be a little overrated at the same time.
Indeed, the two are mutually exclusive...yet so far the argument for him being overrated appears rooted in his future playoff performance and/or his size.

Perhaps details on why some feel he is overrated? The local media has been largely responsible for raising his profile but his play so far this year warrants it.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Indeed, the two are mutually exclusive...yet so far the argument for him being overrated appears rooted in his future playoff performance and/or his size.

Perhaps details on why some feel he is overrated? The local media has been largely responsible for raising his profile but his play so far this year warrants it.

He has never been PPG in the playoffs at any level.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
He has never been PPG in the playoffs at any level.
Virtanen is overrated because he wasn’t a PPG player in the WHL playoffs? I don’t think that is any indicator whatsoever on how he will perform for the Canucks in the playoffs.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

He does usually lead the Canucks forwards in hits and does lay out people at times so it cannot be claimed Virtanen does not bring a physical element to his game.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
We all know he can destroy people with his size and speed and I'm sure we'll see lots more of that in his career. It's great to see him adjust to playing a more normal brand of hockey though because you don't need to build a reputation for yourself by blowing guys up in meaningless games and getting a suspension history a la Wilson, Torres, Cooke, etc. When the Canucks get into post season play I can definitely see him hitting to hurt.

Reactions: bbud

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Virtanen is overrated because he wasn’t a PPG player in the WHL playoffs? I don’t think that is any indicator whatsoever on how he will perform for the Canucks in the playoffs.

Virtanen needs to prove to be able to raise his game in the playoffs before we can try and project anything about his future NHL playoff success.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
It's definitely a significant component of his identity, just isn't the defining component people thought it was gonna be...
His identity has shifted to his importance and ability defensively which is an awesome development.
I agree it isn't like he needs to crush opposing players I'm sure even in those board battles they know he's like a tank no one runs JV .
He also has stopped going out looking for a huge hit at times that was getting him caught he now takes it if it's there and plays heavy on forchecks that's all he needs to do .

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I honestly think his shoulder the type of physical play he was exhibiting in his first training camp / preseason. It's good for Virtanen to pick his spots.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Virtanen needs to prove to be able to raise his game in the playoffs before we can try and project anything about his future NHL playoff success.
Totally agree. I personally think he will do well but needs to show it...which means we need to make the playoffs first!

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I don't think it is either.

But there also isn't any semblance of evidence whatsoever that JV will be some mythical playoff performer. It's just some a dumb argument all-around.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
I think Virtanen will be kinda like Kreider. Maybe not quite as big and fast but a little more physical and a better shooter.

Reactions: Peen

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
He now has 1 goal in his last 12 games. (or 3 goals in 25 games)

Can you fellers now at least entertain the idea that JV has not changed much as far has his play with the puck goes?

I still maintain that he had puck luck to start the season and was riding a high from that.

His play away from the puck has IMO improved even if his on ice shot stats don't reflect that when comparing to last years numbers.

Reactions: Canucks1096

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Some of Virtanens goals were definitely lucky. But he was creating a lot of opportunities to get lucky with his speed. I think he'll always be a streaky player unless he takes a leap forward and learns how to find soft spots in the O-zone.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think Virtanen will be kinda like Kreider. Maybe not quite as big and fast but a little more physical and a better shooter.

Kreider lives in front of the net and gets a ton of tip/rebound goals (similar to Simmonds) and we haven't really seen many Virtanen goals in that manner.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I’m just glad he’s a legitimate everyday NHLer. He’s progressing, slowly. Has amazing speed, strength, and wrist shot; it’s unfortunate he doesn’t have elite awareness to go along with those attributes. His overall game has gotten better. I’m content with Jake developing into a solid middle sixer for us at this point.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Such a colossal disappointment. Anyone without homer goggles could tell he was scoring flukey goals, and now he's right back to the 10-goal bottom 6er he's always gonna be.

Should've let a potato draft instead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad